What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap

Turbo

Juniors
Why is it that the UK can afford Aussie and Kiwi NRL players and we cant afford to keep them in the NRL under our cap? arent we supposed to have rugby league as a major sport here. The UK has soccer so where do they get the money to pay them mega dollars or pounds from?

brendothejet

First Grade
the pound is worth a sh*t load more than the aussie dollar.

Two years in England can see you with a nice little bank account.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
It's like Brendon says but it is so because they have a different system over there. They are allowed to spend 55% of there total earnings on players so for big clubs thats a lot more than NRL clubs can afford.

Turbo

Juniors
maybe they should have there own team the aus kiwi expat select from superleague, im sure they would be very competitive in the WC or Tri Nations!:D

roughyedspud

Coach
i'm pretty sure that next season the NRL salary cap is more than the ESL salary cap..?? ours is £1.6 million ($3.6m) whats the NRL's cap?

sam, they've done away with the 50% rule which was that clubs can only spend 50% of their total revenue on wages upto a maximum of £1.6 million, thats fine for clubs like wigan,leeds st'helens but for other clubs like salford who have a turnover of £2million that ment they could only spend £1million on wages.

but like i said thats gone now all ESL clubs can spend the full £1.6million salary cap..hence some of the signings HULL KR have made

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Garbage about the cap.. don't be concerned about script value.. 1 pound = $2.5 aussie dollars.. doesn't mean sh*t.

They have a 1.6 million pound cap very similar on exchange rates to our cap.

What they do is pay overs for not quite the same as we do for seconds.

They can't afford to pay more than we do for guys like Lockyer, Thurston.

What they do is pay $600,000+ per year for next tier guys like Matt King.

Great players, but we're not going to spend the sort of money of them that we pay Lockyer et al.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
roughyedspud said:
i'm pretty sure that next season the NRL salary cap is more than the ESL salary cap..?? ours is £1.6 million ($3.6m) whats the NRL's cap?

sam, they've done away with the 50% rule which was that clubs can only spend 50% of their total revenue on wages upto a maximum of £1.6 million, thats fine for clubs like wigan,leeds st'helens but for other clubs like salford who have a turnover of £2million that ment they could only spend £1million on wages.

but like i said thats gone now all ESL clubs can spend the full £1.6million salary cap..hence some of the signings HULL KR have made

My bad.

I bow to Spuds greater knowledge.

Correct me if wrong Spud but wasn't the 50% thing brought in to stop clubs over spending and folding?

Why not merge the NRL and Super League???

Like the Super14. Play across 3 nations Aust, NZ and England.

That would bring the crowds back and the S14 do it no probs.

7 NRL teams and 7 Super League teams. With the Remaining NRL and SL teams playing in their own domestic comps with the winners being promoted to the National Super Rugby League and the lowest ranking original SL and NRL teams to be relegated.

Note: the above is a joke

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
As most are saying to convert the 1.6mil pounds to dollars gives you around 4mil dollars. The reason that players can earn more over there is based on two things;
1. There is no minimum wage (meaning squads are top loaded) and
2. There are a lot of concessions allowed under the ESL agreement that are not over here.

They don't have a bigger salary cap.

roopy

Referee
The pommies do some tricky tax thing where they pay through a tax haven country for overseas passport holders.
Not sure of the details - but i have heard that it is pretty dodgy.

Latest posts