What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess' Future

DC_fan

Coach
I have written off Sam Burgess, he is gone. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't play with us this season.

My concern is how it effects his brothers. They appear to be a close family. With SAMs return to the mother country will mother and brothers want to follow.

English Rose

Juniors
There is an article from Rebecca Wilson claiming that Inglis and all the other Souths players were peed off with Burgess and had a falling out. Surely this is BS as Sam Burgess got voted players player for 2013. Surely if they were that pissed off with him they wouldn't have voted for him?

DC_fan

Coach
Kent on Saturday: Rabbitohs could be better off without Sam Burgess and his media sideshow

MICHAEL Maguire knows the only barometer in sport is success.

Newspaper clippings don't add up to premierships. Neither do good sorts on your arm, feelgood profiles, sponsorship dollars, picture exclusives of breakfast at the beach, hour-long documentaries or a high rotation on the celebrity circuit.

They are brilliant for the marketing department. Not so good for the foyer, where the trophy cabinet sits.

The whispered debate taking place right now is whether Sam Burgess's formidable talent as a player is worth the distraction of having him in the team, a debate that would have been absurd before last year's playoffs. But we all know what happened there. The Rabbitohs lost their way.

The dominant team for most of the season, they failed to step up in the finals and dipped out the week before the Big One, going no better than they had a season earlier.

The loss shocked many. More than ever, last year was the season most expected the Rabbitohs to end their 42-year grand final drought.

It certainly shocked the Rabbitohs, so much so that the club went through a scorching self-appraisal after season end to discover where it all went wrong.

Nobody is quite sure when or how, although the growing feeling is it happened the moment mum Julie hopped the fence following the win over Wests Tigers in round 25 to join all four sons on the football field.

A walking, talking feelgood moment. Kodak smiles, a touching backstory.

It brings a smile to your face still, just to think about it.

It showed the wider Sportsworld that while, all alone, Burgess is a wrecking machine, with the family in tow he is a Hallmark card.

The game was quick to capitalise, and soon Burgess appearances were everywhere. They were like the Baldwin brothers, nobody quite sure who was who, but aware they were a Burgess all the same.

And while the celebrity sightings and hour-long documentary were initially seen as a convenient distraction for the rest of the team, leaving them to focus on the finals, somewhere in there the team lost its identity.

Were they the Rabbitohs? Or were teammates just the supporting cast?

More importantly, this blue collar culture they had worked so hard to build was slowly being eroded through the interests of one ahead of the group.

When clubs look back to see when their road to failure began, that's usually the tipping point.

Maguire is smart enough to recognise it. Are Souths smart enough to listen?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-media-sideshow/story-fni3fh9n-1226821004295

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
Rebecca Wilson: Rabbitohs team split behind Sam Burgess decision to defect to rugby

THEY sound more like a boy band than four tough as teak rugby league players, but the Burgess Brothers have left the same mark on the gossip pages as One Direction in their time at the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Courted by a Hollywood movie star and lauded as heroes of the social circuit, Sam, Luke, Tom and George attracted more publicity in season 2013 than the ASADA investigations and State of Origin

South Sydney five eighth John Sutton has caught completely off guard when questioned by Fox Sports rugby league correspondent Steve Hart about Sam Burgess' reported rugby move, saying he hopes the Englishman will stay at the Rabbitohs beyond 2014.
Revelations this week that middle brother, and original Souths signing, Sam, is off to the England Rugby Union to make a pitch for World Cup glory have been variously denied by managers, coaches and team bosses.
The deal is on and is likely to see Sam Burgess leave for England before a ball has been kicked in the 2014 rugby league season, a full two years before his contract was due to expire. He stands to earn a seven figure sum in England and the Rabbits will push for a record transfer fee to finance a superstar replacement.

The truth of Sam's likely departure is buried somewhere underneath the layers of public relations hype and nonsense this quartet has generated in recent times.

Russell Crowe's manager denies, denies, denies. So, too, the club itself. There is no doubt, though, that the real story is that Sam Burgess had a monumental fall out with his team mates and coach which simmered below the surface for the best part of last season.

Sam Burgess was signed in a blaze of glory in 2012 for four years. He vowed his allegiance to the Rabbits and Russell Crowe after the actor courted him with flash houses, fast cars and promises of jobs for the rest of the family.

The arrival of the other three brothers sent Sydney into one of its all-too-familiar tailspins, leaving social writers clamouring for a piece of the Burgess magic. Four very handsome lads from the north of England, all built like brick you-know-whats, and whammo, the publicity machine is in full swing.

Each day the group was spotted, invariably together, in various eastern suburbs cafes/restaurants/clubs. Each time, even the most minor occurrence involving the Burgess crew was dutifully reported in the gossip pages.

The girlfriends list mounted - former Miss Universe contestants, aspiring pop singers, glamorous models. They all fronted at the Dally M's, replete with designer frocks and well cut dinner suits, posing for more photographs than even Crowe could have ever imagined.

The picture was completed when Mum, Julie, arrived to look after the lads. Crowe found her a great job at an eastern suburbs private school on weekdays and a seat in a corporate box on game day. She quickly became the most famous Mum in Sydney.

Things started turning sour when Sam was appointed stand-in captain and found himself charged with a squirrel grip. His teammates were quietly very angry that Burgess had let them down at a crucial time in the season by being forced to cop a two week suspension

In the week leading up to the preliminary final, the trouble really started. The team's genuine superstar, already angered by the Burgess Brothers pantomime, finally voiced his frustrations.

The quietly spoken and humble Greg Inglis told coach Michael Maguire and his teammates that the team was meant to be together in such an important week, training hard for their moment of truth.

Players were not meant to be putting themselves above the team by posing for photographs away from training sessions.

Inglis was voicing the frustrations of an entire team who had watched as the Burgess boys grabbed the limelight for six months and placed themselves away from the group.

My understanding is that Maguire fined Burgess for not turning up to training in preliminary final week, after he had opted to grab a private sponsorship opportunity.

Burgess was irate. He signalled to Crowe and his manager that he wanted out. Within weeks, he had spoken to the Rugby Football Union and the train was in motion.

Burgess and Crowe will sell his departure as an opportunity he could not relinquish. The truth of the matter is that the coach and the senior figures in the South Sydney team were so angry with Burgess' ill-discipline and publicity seeking that taking it into another season was not tenable.

The Rabbits are hoping Sam's departure will mean the other three brothers simply knuckle down and play footy.

The dangers of mixing Hollywood with rugby league have never been more apparent. Crowe may have helped save the Rabbits but his constant interference and his unwillingness to rein in the Burgess clan has proved very, very costly for a team that looked like winning the competition in July last year.

If the Burgess boys had followed Inglis' lead, the trophy cabinet at Redfern might have had another very important addition in 2013.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-defect-to-rugby/story-fni3fbgz-1226821046621

DC_fan

Coach
It appears we can lay the blame for not winning the premiership last year on Sam Burgess and his family.

Well according to the Telegraph anyway.

Yeah News Ltd are really going to town on this story. I think Sam must have knocked them back for an interview or something.

Not a shred of truth in any of this but I guess it'll sell papers.

Jim Wilson keeps saying his mail is strong.

Of course sis will write a s#it storm piece.

All they have done is trawl the threads from October 2013 about our failure to qualify for the GF and used all the scuttlebutt, gossip, rumour and innuendo.

Sam also just played his guts out for England in the RWC.

I can't see him making it in Rugby either.

Personally, I think it's all BS. But time will tell, I guess.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Wouldn't surprise me if under the terms of the release Sam secretly agrees to come back and fulfill the remaining two years of his contract in 2016-17 like Gasnier did.

Btw the poms are kidding if they think he's a RU outside centre. His ball control's too shit for the backline. Mind you he won't see any of it so it won't really matter.

Will Chambers would argue his ball control is just fine!

cisco

Juniors
Valheru and your girlfriend Moga,you two spend so much time on our Souths site you may as well come out of the closet and declare that you are Souths supporters as well as the truth about your private lives !!!

saint.nick

Coach
I hate how rugby league always acts like a spoilt, jealous little five year old every time a player switches codes. Inferiority complex at it's finest. Not to mention insecurity too...

Big Sam

First Grade
It seems really odd that a gutter journo like DUI would wait 5 months for something like this to report internal tension at Redfern. We all know how much she loathes us. What if Sam had not decided to switch - would the story have been forever hidden?

Surely if the story wasn't made-up poppycock it would've come out in October?

vikingstorm

Juniors
It seems really odd that a gutter journo like DUI would wait 5 months for something like this to report internal tension at Redfern. We all know how much she loathes us. What if Sam had not decided to switch - would the story have been forever hidden?

Surely if the story wasn't made-up poppycock it would've come out in October?

Sam Burgess is our best English forward along with James Graham and James Roby. To Beat the Aussies we need at least 10 truly world class players, and in Tomkins, Charnley, Watkins, Burgess, Roby, Graham and Ryan Hall we have just seven. - all of them would be within a whisker of the Kangaroo team.

To lose Sam Burgess is therefore a disappointment. I feel all the Razzamatazz surrounding the family should be handled and managed. Here is a Lad from Yourkshire who has never played Rugby Union in his life......My aspiration, if I was good enough would never be to play for England at Union it would be to beat the Aussies at League and it is bizarre beyond words that Sam thinks that wallowing in the mud at Bath is an any way better that what he currently has..All the talk of higher profile is garbage because he already has an amazing profile, and when I see former league players in Union I don't see any higher profile at all......It is rubbish and Burgess is making a monumental mistake. If he has stepped out of line he should hold his head high and apologise to his mates and brothers. Sam is an out and our League player and if you watched English Union as I it is a laboured and mud splattered sport bolsters by corporate lounge lizards fresh from the financial crisis.- Give it up Sam, its a fools errand

DC_fan

Coach
Maybe Sam just wants to move back to the UK and is using Union as the reason why? He might play, and I say might play one season of Umion there before signing with a Super League team.

DC_fan

Coach
The gossip columns are reporting Tom Burgess has broken up with girlfriend Laura Dundovic.

Sam wants to go home to England and supposedly play Union. Now we hear Tom has broken up his relationship.

Could the entire family be heading back to the UK?

Big Sam

First Grade
The gossip columns are reporting Tom Burgess has broken up with girlfriend Laura Dundovic.

Sam wants to go home to England and supposedly play Union. Now we hear Tom has broken up his relationship.

Are you the new boo?

Fien

Juniors

Luke Burgess signs with Melbourne Rebels for 2015 :( Another one gone to Rah Rah.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/rugby/luke-burgess-joins-the-melbourne-rebels-through-to-the-2015-world-cup/story-fnbzndrd-1226620996706