What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sammut plays Union

The Nature Boy

Juniors
PENRITH wildchild Jarrod Sammut has been banned from playing a union international this Saturday after he breached his NRL contract by turning out in a Rugby World Cup qualifier for Malta last weekend.
Panthers chief executive Mick Leary was stunned to learn last night the two internationals he had agreed to release Sammut for were, in fact, rugby union games.
Sammut scored 11 points for Malta in an 18-16 loss to Croatia at Valletta and was named in the Maltese side to play Sweden in Vanersberg on Saturday.
"I received a letter from the Malta Rugby League on August 25 saying they wanted him to go over there for international commitments,'' Leary told the Daily Telegraph.
"He was to do coaching clinics, promotions and public relations to promote rugby league.
"They also sought releases for internationals against Croatia last weekend and Sweden in Sweden on November 1.
"Now, since it was on a Malta Rugby League letterhead, how was I to know he was going to play rugby union?
"We have pulled him out of the game this Saturday.''
Leary originally told the MRLA yesterday he could play in Sweden. But NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley revealed it would be another breach of contract.
But Malta Rugby League president Mark Sultana explained giving players to rugby union was part of a trade-off to get league started in the island nation.
"I'm not sure whether Jarrod's played his own way to get to Malta or the MRFU have paid for him to go,'' Sultana said.
"The one place in the world where rugby union and rugby league get on is Malta.
"We've got quite a good working relationship with them. We supply them with players all the time.
"Even though he is a pretty high-profile player, it was a bit of a non-issue.
"Every time we send a rugby league player, they've always carved up - as Jarrod did on the weekend.''
He said the better Sammut went in union, the more publicity and prestige league would get.
"It's helping us form a stronger bond and relationship with the rugby union - which we need to do to get domestic rugby league happening in Malta,'' he said.
Last year Sammut played in Valetta for the Maltese rugby league team against Britain's Royal Logistics Corps.
"Anthony Micallef, who is our operations manager, is over there in Malta working to get a domestic rugby league competition up and running,'' said Sultana.
"Jarrod has been doing some work for us in Malta for the Maltese Rugby League.
"His involvement with the union is something that he would have (chosen).

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24567006-5012662,00.html

otag

Juniors
im confused here, but im fairly certain penrith have made a boo-boo of the biggest order and the nrl are trying to clear it up?

and what sammut has done wrong, i dont think anything really.

murraymob

Coach
Sammut is a contracted footballer to the penrith club not to malta rugby union .Penrith owe nothing to these organizations.He never at any stage told the club he would be playing union.If he was injured the cost to us would be huge.For once its good to see the club stand up

The Rhino

Juniors
Panthers chief executive Mick Leary was stunned to learn last night the two internationals he had agreed to release Sammut for were, in fact, rugby union games.
"I received a letter from the Malta Rugby League on August 25 saying they wanted him to go over there for international commitments,'' Leary told the Daily Telegraph.
"He was to do coaching clinics, promotions and public relations to promote rugby league.
"They also sought releases for internationals against Croatia last weekend and Sweden in Sweden on November 1.
"Now, since it was on a Malta Rugby League letterhead, how was I to know he was going to play rugby union?
"We have pulled him out of the game this Saturday.''
PD,
did Jazz tell you he told the club he would be playing union in these games? The big quote comes down to what Mick Leary said and I have highlighted in BOLD. If Jazz told the club that he would be playing in 2 Union Internationals, I don't think the club would have given him permission to so.
Something I would like to know is - Mark Sultana, Malta RL president said this:
He said the better Sammut went in union, the more publicity and prestige league would get.
- my question is HOW?

Dave Q

Coach
Having said that, the club couldnt have moved faster to let Gowie go and play in Italian league.

It was only the ARL who stopped that.

MRLA

Juniors
Thursday 30 Oct 2008 07:04
by Malta Rugby League (Press Release)
Source: www.malteserugbyleague.com

Comments made in the past 24 hours would suggest that the Malta Rugby League (MRL) was deceitful in their discussions with Penrith Panthers management.

The Malta Rugby League (MRL) Board of Directors would prefer it be known publicly that they were open and honest in all communications regarding Jarrod Sammut's involvement in promoting and developing Rugby League in Malta, which included assisting Rugby Union thanks to the relationship the Malta Rugby League (MRL) has held with the code's governing body in Malta.

Malta is a small nation where Rugby League and Rugby Union do work together.

This unique relationship has seen no less than four Rugby League players in the past three years assist in the 'rugby' development on the Maltese Islands and vice-versa with ten local Rugby Union players representing Malta Rugby League in an international last October.

Jarrod, like every player whom represents Malta (Rugby League and Rugby Union) does so for no monetary incentives.

The Malta Rugby League (MRL) has all the documentation to show for our dealings with the Penrith club and clearly produced the request to release Jarrod for these commitments in black and white.

In return, the Penrith club clearly produced the release in writing also in direct response to our request.

Jarrod's willingness to assist in the mission of the Malta Rugby League - is a credit to him, his heritage, his club and the National Rugby League (NRL).

Source: www.malteserugbyleague.com

Fibroman

First Grade
Maltese chicks are supposed to be good cooks and some of them have nice breasts. That about where my interest in malta ends.

Dave Q

Coach
These are ordinary Maltese women ( not models).
20080802-lifestyle--women.jpg

The maltese babe ratio is one of the highest in the world.

But be warned, they are not easy to catch and many are religious.

They command respect and they deserve it.

pic: maltesetimes.

Big Mick

Referee
Well...Maltese women are hot...and being a Maltese man I appreciate how hard it is to snag one...but being Australian as well...they love us over there and I got my fair share while holidaying over there...it was quite easy.

Latest posts