What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW Adidas sponsorship

shiznit

Coach
I just saw a story about SBW being named an Adidas global sports ambassador. Joining the likes of Lionel Messi, Derrick Rose & David Beckham.

The tone of the story indicated that this was part of his NZRU contract for next season as Daniel Carter and Richie McCaw were already one of these global ambassadors.

Adidas is NZ Rugby's major sponsor...

My question is this...

How on earth is SBW allowed to promote NZ Rugby's major sponsor while still playing in the NRL??

Usain Bolt

Bench
Does this come under the salary cap? Or is this kicking in once he leaves the NRL.

Jonah Lomu has been retired 10 years and he's still an Adidas global ambassador. Could be a long term thing for SBW.

Danish

Referee
SBW has been sponsored by Adidas for quite a while I believe, going back to his days at the bulldogs even. There was a brief period last year during the season where he wore nike boots but I think that was between the time his previous contract and new contract with Adidas was finalised.

This new thing is just an upping of his sponsorship deal. Given plenty of other league players are also sponsored by Adidas I'm not sure how him continuing his involvement with them is promoting Union.

Does this come under the salary cap? Or is this kicking in once he leaves the NRL.

Jonah Lomu has been retired 10 years and he's still an Adidas global ambassador. Could be a long term thing for SBW.

As the sponsorship is unquestionably with SBW alone and not tied to him playing with the Roosters then there would be no way it is counted under the cap.

3rd Party deals are only counted if arranged by the club or if the sponsoring company has formal ties to the club I believe (except for the thoroughbreds, of course)

Bulldog Force

Referee
I just saw a story about SBW being named an Adidas global sports ambassador. Joining the likes of Lionel Messi, Derrick Rose & David Beckham.

The tone of the story indicated that this was part of his NZRU contract for next season as Daniel Carter and Richie McCaw were already one of these global ambassadors.

Adidas is NZ Rugby's major sponsor...

My question is this...

How on earth is SBW allowed to promote NZ Rugby's major sponsor while still playing in the NRL??

Has he started it yet? It might come into effect once he retires. All the T&D will be outlined in the contract.

What I want to know why people keep kissing this guys ass like he's top shit or something. Once he goes back to RU no one here will care about him anymore and he'll become a no-name. Remember his performance in the RU World Cup Final? Comes on as a substitute in the last 5 mins of the game and hero zero input :lol:

I'll give credit where it's due, he did good for us in 2004 winning the GF, and then again last year with the Roosters, but those RU years in between he did nothing, kept getting injured, and achieved nothing. After the Roosters won the GF last year, he's done nothing, and that includes the World Cup!

perverse

Referee
3rd Party deals are only counted if arranged by the club or if the sponsoring company has formal ties to the club I believe (except for the thoroughbreds, of course)
Or if the club guarantees the payment. 3rd party sponsorships are unguaranteed agreements between a player and a third party. I think this is where the Fifita deal came undone with the Dogs - I'm guessing the Doggies gave Fifita the impression that all of his contract would be guaranteed income, then the Dogs pulled a bit of a swifty by declaring a large portion of his deal as 3rd party, non-guaranteed payments.

SBW's deal with Adidas would be all his doing and totally kosher for sure. He's got the profile to pull these sorts of deals off his own bat without much issue.

shiznit

Coach
SBW has been sponsored by Adidas for quite a while I believe, going back to his days at the bulldogs even. There was a brief period last year during the season where he wore nike boots but I think that was between the time his previous contract and new contract with Adidas was finalised.

This new thing is just an upping of his sponsorship deal. Given plenty of other league players are also sponsored by Adidas I'm not sure how him continuing his involvement with them is promoting Union.

As the sponsorship is unquestionably with SBW alone and not tied to him playing with the Roosters then there would be no way it is counted under the cap.

Nope... He's had issues in the past with NZ rugby for not wanting to wear Adidas clothing as he has had other sponsorship deals.

I'm almost certain that this deal will be part of his NZ rugby deal... As Khoder was pushing for this in his first stint in RU.

Danish

Referee
Nope... He's had issues in the past with NZ rugby for not wanting to wear Adidas clothing as he has had other sponsorship deals.

I'm almost certain that this deal will be part of his NZ rugby deal... As Khoder was pushing for this in his first stint in RU.

Sorry you are correct. He was with Nike previous to joining NZRU, then signed on with Adidas in 2011 (which I think was when he was having the clashes with them regarding wearing other sponsor gear) and has stayed with them since.

Either way, its SBW's deal so nothing really to do with league.

Danish

Referee
Who gives a sh*t? Seriously.

I would guess a much larger amount of people than who normally give a shit about a league player's sponsorship deal given he is the only league player with a global deal (what that means I've no idea).

hutch

First Grade
He was in an Adidas ad when he was back at the bulldogs, this is not a new thing. Rugby union had nothing to do with it back then as well like the author is portraying.

shiznit

Coach
He was in an Adidas ad when he was back at the bulldogs, this is not a new thing. Rugby union had nothing to do with it back then as well like the author is portraying.
Yet as expected the following quotes indicates it has EVERYTHING to do with his RU deal...

Upon signing with adidas, Williams said; “I’m proud to finally formalise my relationship with a brand that’s known for being a world leader in football and Rugby Union, and supports so many great athletes in Australia, New Zealand, and around the world. There’s a lot I still want to achieve in my career, and it’s great to know I have adidas in my corner.”

adidas Global Sports Marketing Manager for Rugby Union, Andrew Wilson said; “adidas has always been associated with the world’s best athletes, and Sonny Bill Williams is another perfect example of this. He’s a true all-rounder with a strong work ethic, and we’re very pleased to have him join the adidas family.”

From: http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au/news/sonny-bill-williams-scores-adidas-deal/

Once again... How on earth are the NRL allowing one of its players to promote a Rugby Unions major sponsor??

shiznit

Coach
I just saw another news story... He was posing with an NRL ball in one photo...

So I take some of it back...

Rocco

Juniors
528665-765568fe-d41d-11e3-bc32-3e4a8fd849b1.jpg

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

I don;t think it's a problem as long as he is not referred to as a Rugby Union player in any promotional work he does until the end of his Roosters contract. Adidas can still get value out of him without tying him to Rugby until next year so I doubt that will be an issue.

Rocco

Juniors
Im just wondering why NRL players aren't getting these endorsement like Sonny has with Adidas or has the NRL salary caps disallows these endorsement deals?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Or if the club guarantees the payment. 3rd party sponsorships are unguaranteed agreements between a player and a third party. I think this is where the Fifita deal came undone with the Dogs - I'm guessing the Doggies gave Fifita the impression that all of his contract would be guaranteed income, then the Dogs pulled a bit of a swifty by declaring a large portion of his deal as 3rd party, non-guaranteed payments.

SBW's deal with Adidas would be all his doing and totally kosher for sure. He's got the profile to pull these sorts of deals off his own bat without much issue.

Is it halal too?