What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW, Benji, Falou and Sam Burgess

ek999

First Grade
Yeah that's what gets me, they (media ignored him) when he played RL for Wigan and England/GB, now they can't get enough, and to make it worse, he's doing all he can do to get every big name RL player (pom) to swap codes, the guy is a disgrace.

He's a coach of the English Rugby Union team. He is doing his job

Snappy

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ish-rugby-report-suggests-20140206-322t4.html

Sam Burgess leaving Rabbitohs for English rugby, report suggests

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ggests-20140206-322t4.html#ixzz2sWggVT5LSouth Sydney look destined to lose superstar backrower Sam Burgess, with the UK's Daily Mail reporting he will switch codes at the end of the season to play rugby union.
Speculation had been rife that Burgess was on top of the RFU's hit list and reports now suggest the deal has already been done, with the Rabbitohs to get a £500,000 ($A900,00) transfer fee for their hard-hitting lock forward.
Burgess, who could easily play as a flanker or number eight, is reportedly being groomed as an inside centre and will be given the rails run towards a berth with England in the 2015 World Cup.
Former England rugby league international, Andy Farrell, is now an assistant coach with England's rugby side and approached Burgess during last year's Rugby League World Cup.
Advertisement
The 24-year-old has been a sensation at South Sydney, becoming one of the most damaging forwards in the game and helping the Rabbitohs become major players in the NRL top eight.
The transfer fee will be shared between the RFU and one of the leading English premiership clubs, with Bath one named already being mentioned.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rt-suggests-20140206-322t4.html#ixzz2sWgPkVfg.

TheDalek079

Bench
Some say that we need to throw more money at them to keep them in the game.

Where does this come from? the NRL? 3rd party deals (may have to relax the rules around them - let the club organise them)?

Big Sam

First Grade
With Sam and SBW it's not the money but rather the allure of playing in a major tournament. The only equivalent we have is Origin.

Would tinkering with the rules of Origin be worth keeping these high-profile players?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
With Sam and SBW it's not the money but rather the allure of playing in a major tournament. The only equivalent we have is Origin.

Would tinkering with the rules of Origin be worth keeping these high-profile players?

Discredit Origin to retain a couple of unsatisfied foreigners? No thanks.

TheDalek079

Bench
I'd be uncomfortable with State of Origin players being Kiwis/Poms who have lived in their state for a couple of seasons.

Ozzy

First Grade
A million dollars isn't worth as much as a superstar in a salary capped league. This isn't Soccer. You can't just cash in an established superstar and then spend that money on the two best young up and coming players on the planet.

If you can afford to pay the cap, which we obviously can, an extra million dollars is not worth a Sam Burgess. It doesn't even come close.

BM you don't follow. The million is a random big number. My point is don't make statements like "there is no circumstance" because there may well be one and not necessarily a monetary one. You cop enough shit as it is. Take it as friendly advice.

BunniesMan

Immortal
BM you don't follow. The million is a random big number. My point is don't make statements like "there is no circumstance" because there may well be one and not necessarily a monetary one. You cop enough shit as it is. Take it as friendly advice.

Do I have to spell out everything? Ok what I intended to say was there is no circumstance where any intelligent club would let this happen. And I have absolute faith my club is intelligent.

Clubs should not let players walk over them. I'd rather pay him to play NSW cup for 3 years just to spite him if this is what he wants. Contracts should be fulfilled in every possible situation.

taste2taste

Juniors
Under the new NRL salary cap they should make it more un-appealing for players to leave for union.

Eg: If a player leaves for another code they can only return to the NRL on a contract of 50% of what they are earning at the time they left.

This will make it a huge risk for players thinking about trying a new code, for example, if Benji or Sam are huge flops they wont be able to use the NRL as a back up option and come running back on big money.

I think this will ensure players dont leave.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Under the new NRL salary cap they should make it more un-appealing for players to leave for union.

Eg: If a player leaves for another code they can only return to the NRL on a contract of 50% of what they are earning at the time they left.

This will make it a huge risk for players thinking about trying a new code, for example, if Benji or Sam are huge flops they wont be able to use the NRL as a back up option and come running back on big money.

Attempting to scare players into staying in the code....Genius. No chance of backfiring at all.

hutch

First Grade
We need to boost international game, not allow these guys to play origin.

Spot on! The recent rlwc was an enormous success, yet we still don't have an international schedule sorted out for THIS YEAR! We should have a mid season international break and post nrl season international tournaments sorted out already for the next 5 years as an absolute priority for our sport.

BrissyRedV

Bench

:lol:

Ozzy

First Grade
Do I have to spell out everything? Ok what I intended to say was there is no circumstance where any intelligent club would let this happen. And I have absolute faith my club is intelligent.

Clubs should not let players walk over them. I'd rather pay him to play NSW cup for 3 years just to spite him if this is what he wants. Contracts should be fulfilled in every possible situation.

That would be nice but unfortunately this is the real world. Do you really think your club would pay him his wage to plsy in the NSW cup? Also it goes both ways. Clubs have sacked players and coaches before the end of the contract

hutch

First Grade
But Folau is eligible for origin. Not a solution. If he wants to go, let him another will step up.

This whole another player will step up is not a good enough reason to let these players go without a fight. If a player is good enough to 'step up' then they will anyway, our code is better with its best players playing it. As I said earlier, we should be attracting the worlds best rugby talent, not losing it.

Ozzy

First Grade

For how many years? What would stop a club signing a player from signing a contract for a year at 50% then sign another one on full value?

taste2taste

Juniors
Attempting to scare players into staying in the code....Genius. No chance of backfiring at all.

Whats an example of it back firing ??

the NRL has always opened its arms and welcomed back players ( Sailor, Lote, Rogers, SBW..etc )

High profile players will always have the option of switching codes and if they go good luck to them....but if they use the NRL as a back up option they will do so at a finacial cost.

Latest posts