What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW is the most talented player in the world of Rugby

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I think Sonny is an awesome player.

To me Inglis offers more.

But hey splitting hairs really, both outstanding.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Getting his confidence back from all those injuries I presume.

Was a notch or three above everyone last night.

Noa

First Grade
JJ said:
I don't get the criticisms of him... He's an amazing talent, you only have to watch him to see that. To me he offers a lot more than Inglis.

Im sure youve been told 1,722,568,000,976 times not to exaggerate.

Have you even seen the Storms left side attack the last two games now that Greg is running the ball more and getting comfortable at 5/8.

PS. There talent levels are pretty much identical.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
For the amount of money either would command I would rather the Parramatta up and coming players like Mateo, Inu, Hayne etc

ouwet

Bench
Holla if ya hear me said:
oh please..it was against the roosters

Yeah so? His been our best all year!

I'd rather Sonny then Inglis TBH... Would love for them both to be in the Bulldogs team though:cool:

ouwet

Bench
Natalie's Daddy said:
For the amount of money either would command I would rather the Parramatta up and coming players like Mateo, Inu, Hayne etc

Yeah and how much do you think they will command once (IF) they become the player's Inglis and Sonny Bill are becoming????

Ice777

Bench
Natalie's Daddy said:

Meh, i'd still rather have Inglis and the many up and coming players that the Storm have on their books.

caylo

Bench
Tommy Smith said:
I think it goes without saying that SBW is the most naturally talented player in the game right now. He's an absolute freak and an awesome weapon to have in the backrow.

I don't know about most naturally talented, but he would up there; players like, Inglus, Smith, Farah, Benji, Mateo, Tim Smith, Hayne, Thurston, Cronk, Pritchard etc these guys have great skill... for a backrower he is one of the most talented, i do think mateo has more ball playing ability than Sonny-Bill, but Sonny-Bill is so much stronger (not that Mateo is weak, just not as strong). But i don't know about him being the most talented when you have blokes like Farah Thurston and Smith running around.

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
caylo said:
I don't know about most naturally talented, but he would up there; players like, Inglus, Smith, Farah, Benji, Mateo, Tim Smith, Hayne, Thurston, Cronk, Pritchard etc these guys have great skill... for a backrower he is one of the most talented, i do think mateo has more ball playing ability than Sonny-Bill, but Sonny-Bill is so much stronger (not that Mateo is weak, just not as strong). But i don't know about him being the most talented when you have blokes like Farah Thurston and Smith running around.

LOL

caylo

Bench
[FKN-SIK] said:

Laugh, but he is on of the most naturally talented halfbacks there is. He is one of the most skilled players in the world, but is still finding his feet in the top grade. Look how long it took thruston, in and out of firsts at the dogs for 3 years, simialr with Cronk.

If you have ever watched timmy play, he has one of the best passing games in the comp, throwing passes that most player would consider, and many who try fail to exercute. Also in his armour one of the deadliest attacking kicking games in the comp. As a halfback he is yet to find consist form, but will get there. He had the best season by any deubton halfback ever in 2005, struggled in 2006 with injury and form, but even still showed gimmers at the end of the season, now in 2007 he is showing some consistant form. I know I'd rather timmy then roberts, Sherwin and Holdworth together

Noa

First Grade
One thing, being able to do alot of things like some of those mentioned in Caylos post does not make you a more talented player.

Give me the 3 or 4 moves SBW does at 10/10 over some-one who does 6-7 things at 8/10, if that makes sence .

Glenn Lazarus couldnt chip-kick and re-gather (probably) but Id still take him over the Peter Sterlings, Ricky Stuarts, Benji Marshall and most other similar type players.

Greatness or talent is not about how many skills you have, but how much do you dominate the game with what you do have.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Pfft, I could beat tackles and offload like that if I was 6'10 and 150kg.
Sensational athlete, good enough footballer.

caylo

Bench
Noa Nandruku said:
One thing, being able to do alot of things like some of those mentioned in Caylos post does not make you a more talented player.

Give me the 3 or 4 moves SBW does at 10/10 over some-one who does 6-7 things at 8/10, if that makes sence .

Glenn Lazarus couldnt chip-kick and re-gather (probably) but Id still take him over the Peter Sterlings, Ricky Stuarts, Benji Marshall and most other similar type players.

Greatness or talent is not about how many skills you have, but how much do you dominate the game with what you do have.

NO! that come down to attitude and comittment. It was said that SBW is the most naturally talented player in the comp. Now i never said that Tim Smith was more talented, i said that there are other players and he was one of proabably 10 players mentioned. But Natural Talent is basicly skill level whch is required for you position. SBW has great ellusivness, but so does Farah and Benji just in different ways. While players like Tim and Cameron Smith base their game on skill, and creativity. These are all talented players, and it is dfficult to say who is better because each players dynamics are different and suit different styles of play.

By the way Timmy has probably about 3-4 skills as such which are 9-10/10, similar to SBW, whist id say someone like Marsh and Riddell have the 6-7 skills at about 7-8/10.

Noa

First Grade
Wheelsy said:
Pfft, I could beat tackles and offload like that if I was 6'10 and 150kg.
Sensational athlete, good enough footballer.

To use a line of the not-so-great Thierry Henry if it was that easy Manu Vatuvei would be the best player in the world.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Ice777 said:
Agreed. I think SBW is a very good player when he's up and you can call me bias, but if someone said you i could either have him or Greg Inglis in my team i'd go GI every single time he was offered.
Thanks for the invitation...you're biased. ;-)

They're both freakish talents but IMO backrowers with SBW's skill-set are harder to find. Infact i doubt there's ever been a backrower with SBW's combination of speed, strength, mobility, ball-playing skills and intelligence...there have been and still are a few imitators, but he's the prototype.

So as amazingly talented as Inglis is, i reckon a backrower like SBW is more valuable to a team. And if i was to ask all 14 coaches (excluding Bellamy and Folkes) who they would rather have in their team i would bet my house that atleast 12 of them would choose Sonny-Bill.

caylo

Bench
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Caylo, im a parra diehard as well... i dont see how you can elevate Smith to those levels tbh.

I'm not saying he is the best player in the world, all I'm saying is he has a skill level that not many players have. It is true, compare his game, he excels skill wise in all facets expect his running game. His passing, kicking, footwork it is close to the best of any halfback in the comp. If you don't agree, compare it to the rest of the players in the NRL. Thurston, Prince and Cronk at this stage are better halfbacks than him. He is playing better than Orford, Kimmorly, Gower, Sherwin, Morris, Soward, Pearce, Rovelli, J.Smith etc. Now his passing game is better than any of the halfbacks, and his short kicking game is up there with Thurston as the best in the comp. Price and Cronk probably have better long kicking game, and Kimmorly long kicking game has been consistent, but overall he and Prince would have the best kicking game of any halfback in the comp. (what helps the storm is Cam Smith kicking game). Running of the ball, Prince and Thruston are the best, and Cronk just behind, you then have sherwin, morris, soward, pearce, and gower with all better running games hen timmy, but that is not his strength, and why he is not as good and the first 3 i mentioned. BUT!! it doesn't change the fact that skill wise, and natural talent he is up there with the halfbacks. I named him as one of about 1- players, and in there i mentioned Thruston and Cronk, it isn't like I'm up here saying he is the best ever, i simply named him along with other players, and it is other member who want to miss interpret, and take the comments out of context.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Tommy Smith said:

They're both freakish talents but IMO backrowers with SBW's skill-set are harder to find. Infact i doubt there's ever been a backrower with SBW's combination of speed, strength, mobility, ball-playing skills and intelligence...there have been and still are a few imitators, but he's the prototype.

So as amazingly talented as Inglis is, i reckon a backrower like SBW is more valuable to a team. And if i was to ask all 14 coaches (excluding Bellamy and Folkes) who they would rather have in their team i would bet my house that atleast 12 of them would choose Sonny-Bill.

I am going to sig most of that comment if that is fine by you? I'm sure it is so i'll do it anyway :cool:

Noa

First Grade
Tommy Smith said:

With Greg at centre you have a case.

Plus all those things you say about SBW you can say the same about Greg, lets not forget he's 2 inches taller then SBW and weighs the same.

BTW lets not confuse a great off-load with ball-playing. Mateo is a great ball-player, Gavin Miller was a great ball-player, SBW has a freakish off-load. And the intelligence is questionable but getting better (on and OFF the field)

JJ

Immortal
Noa Nandruku said:
Im sure youve been told 1,722,568,000,976 times not to exaggerate.

Have you even seen the Storms left side attack the last two games now that Greg is running the ball more and getting comfortable at 5/8.

PS. There talent levels are pretty much identical.

ok, a lot more was an exaggeration. But I agree with Tommy, SBW is the more unique player