What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scheduling/9 selection solutions

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Everyone is aware of the media bias against the fixed draw, i think there is a solution which is quite simple and would work for 9, fox and most importantly the fans.

Probably been mooted before but i feel it deserves attention given the current climate around the game

-Firstly Fox get every game live with the season set in stone with fixed draw

-Round schedule looks like this- FNF, Sat 3.00, Sat 5.30, Sat 7.30, Sun 2.00, Sun 4.00, MNF.
The 8th game is floating per round, it could be sun 6.30, sun 12/2/3pm or a second FNF.

-Nine retain their 3 picks per round. But they are able to pick them round by round as the season progresses. So this allows them to be flexible as form dictates which clashes matter as the season progresses. Perhaps the NRL could impose a formula on the broadcaster to ensure teams like canberra get a fair go on FTA.

This means that week by week nine can decide which games they want and hopefully force an end to the double up on friday as the rule and give us live sunday footy on FTA. Saturday 7.30 could become a regular feature on FTA, satisfying broncos fans

This could also lead to our regional teams such as Newcastle and canberra getting every game on FTA if nine where granted additional picks each week. Perhaps only for away games though to get people in the habit of watching their team every week if they don't have foxtel.

beave

Coach
So you want a weeks notice to book stadiums and contractors that man the facilities?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
So you want a weeks notice to book stadiums and contractors that man the facilities?

No the draw is fixed and stays the same. Nine simply pick the games they want to show within that framework week to week if they please or a in blocks of several weeks.

The key is every game is live on fox

Diesel

Referee
I like the idea of 7 fixed time slots each week with one game floating, it'd work well for different regions/states that have specific public holidays to their regions ie showdays/anniversaries etc

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
No the draw is fixed and stays the same. Nine simply pick the games they want to show within that framework week to week if they please or a in blocks of several weeks.

The key is every game is live on fox

How is the draw fixed if Nine are picking the games they want to show week to week? Or are you saying that, if the draw has Roosters/Souths at 3pm Sat and they want to show that game, then that's when they show it?

Cause you simply can't have a fixed draw AND Nine picking week to week or even in blocks. That totally contradicts.

IMO, EVERY team should get 6 Friday night games, 3 Monday games, and the rest on Sat/Sun. My reasoning - 2/8 games, or 25% of the total games for the season are on a Friday. Therefore every team gets 25% of their games on a Friday. 1/8 for a Monday etc etc.

Diesel

Referee
All games and times are fixed, Fox shows all 8 of these games live

Nine choose which 3 of the 8 games (which are all live on Fox) they want to show on TV

CC_Roosters

First Grade
How is the draw fixed if Nine are picking the games they want to show week to week? Or are you saying that, if the draw has Roosters/Souths at 3pm Sat and they want to show that game, then that's when they show it?

Cause you simply can't have a fixed draw AND Nine picking week to week or even in blocks. That totally contradicts.

IMO, EVERY team should get 6 Friday night games, 3 Monday games, and the rest on Sat/Sun. My reasoning - 2/8 games, or 25% of the total games for the season are on a Friday. Therefore every team gets 25% of their games on a Friday. 1/8 for a Monday etc etc.

That is exactly it. It is a fixed draw in terms of every game has a fixture, stadium and broadcast on fox

I emphasize that nine cannot move games at their whim, they can only choose to broadcast it. So in my mind they would of course broadcast the single fnf and sunday game. The most likely game on top of that they would pick is sat 7.30 which channel 7 do for the afl

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
Unfortunately the tv contract which runs for another 4 years will not allow this. Fox will get 5 games and and 9 have the others.

The second friday game is a sop to the horsies, 9 can show them into brisbane all year and get ratings there but no one watches the second game in either qld or nsw.

Diesel

Referee
I believe Fox has a lot to gain from this idea and so does Nine.

I'd like to think that this year, and the previous one or two seasons has Nine rethinking their 2nd Friday night game and the delayed Sunday... Wishful thinking I know however in this day and age delayed coverage is a thing of the past and if they continue to be stubborn over the following 4 seasons it's going to bite them on the arse even more

beave

Coach
I just dont know why they cant have the sunday 4pm game live. I know the telecast wont be chock full of ads like it is with the delayed version, but f**k me, surely the offset of an increased audience is worth it. People would want to tune it to witness the game unfold before their eyes instead of checking the score updates online or via the radio.

Diesel

Referee
They can start the telecast at 3:30 and fill it up with 29 minutes of ads before kick off

kbw

Bench
I like give all the games live to fox, but then we get rid of ch9 altogether

I like the idea of the floating game.
I like the following:

1 x Friday at 7.40pm (CH9)
1 x Saturday at 3:00pm
1 x Saturday at 5:00pm
1 x Saturday at 7.00pm
2 x Sunday at 2.00pm (Viewers Choice)
1 x Sunday at 3:00pm (9)
1 x Sunday at 6.30pm.

MacDougall

First Grade
I like the Thursday night footy and think it should be a permanent thing. Prefer it to Sunday night footy or an extra Friday game that's for sure. I bet the ratings agree with me too.

steggz

Juniors
Games should be Fri night, Sat and Sun. Thurs and Mon games shouldn't be on a regular basis (e.g. public holiday Mondays). Typical weekend could look like this:

Fri 7:30
Sat 3:00, 5:30, 7:30
Sun 2:00, 4:00, 6:30

with one of those timeslots having two games.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Games should be Fri night, Sat and Sun. Thurs and Mon games shouldn't be on a regular basis (e.g. public holiday Mondays). Typical weekend could look like this:

Fri 7:30
Sat 3:00, 5:30, 7:30
Sun 2:00, 4:00, 6:30

with one of those timeslots having two games.

imo sun 6.30 is as unfriendly as monday nights, in fact maybe more so. Monday night is a massive bargaining chip for the NRL and it will stay for that reason

Tommax25

Bench
There is one solution but you're not going to like it. Nine no longer picks the games and the NRL does. Problem solved, but not for at least 4 more years or so, if ever.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Everyone is aware of the media bias against the fixed draw, i think there is a solution which is quite simple and would work for 9, fox and most importantly the fans.

Probably been mooted before but i feel it deserves attention given the current climate around the game

-Firstly Fox get every game live with the season set in stone with fixed draw

-Round schedule looks like this- FNF, Sat 3.00, Sat 5.30, Sat 7.30, Sun 2.00, Sun 4.00, MNF.
The 8th game is floating per round, it could be sun 6.30, sun 12/2/3pm or a second FNF.

-Nine retain their 3 picks per round. But they are able to pick them round by round as the season progresses. So this allows them to be flexible as form dictates which clashes matter as the season progresses. Perhaps the NRL could impose a formula on the broadcaster to ensure teams like canberra get a fair go on FTA.

This means that week by week nine can decide which games they want and hopefully force an end to the double up on friday as the rule and give us live sunday footy on FTA. Saturday 7.30 could become a regular feature on FTA, satisfying broncos fans

This could also lead to our regional teams such as Newcastle and canberra getting every game on FTA if nine where granted additional picks each week. Perhaps only for away games though to get people in the habit of watching their team every week if they don't have foxtel.

836205255_1378640696.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
imo sun 6.30 is as unfriendly as monday nights, in fact maybe more so. Monday night is a massive bargaining chip for the NRL and it will stay for that reason

Expansion would solve that issue
WA 4:30 pm Eastern States 6:30pm.

Brisbane 2 to play at home alternate weeks and rotate with broncos every other week between Sundays and Friday
Eg
Wk1 Sunday west coast v ?? 4:30pm (wa time)
Wk 2 Friday broncos v ?? Sunday Brisbane brothers v ?? 6:30pm
Wk 3 west coast v v ?? 4:30pm (wa time)
Wk4 Friday brothers v?? Sunday broncos v ??

Would give more interesting covg schedule, live 6:30pm games and increase audiences in qland and WA