What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scrap the Haka

Snappy

Coach
The haka is a waste of time between warm up and start of play. Both teams get their national anthem played, and then the aussies have to wait around whilst the kiwis perform their stupid song and dance routine.

Either have the national anthem or the haka, not both.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Unlike Australians we embrace the indigenous people of NZ and their culture, we don't send them to reservations in the outback or steal generations of their children

What reservations are these?

The haka is good. It's the only part of most mid-year Tests in which the Kiwis look like any kind of threat.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'm not a massive haka fan by any stretch but it's obvisous this backwards QLDer is just trying to troll and get a reaction, I'm sure someone will bite.

TheDalek079

Bench
the OP is more than likely a troll (although queenslanders are so f**king stupid it is hard to tell)

Didn't the Aussies have a war dance too on their early tour/s?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The haka is a waste of time between warm up and start of play. Both teams get their national anthem played, and then the aussies have to wait around whilst the kiwis perform their stupid song and dance routine.

Either have the national anthem or the haka, not both.

Idiot.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
the OP is more than likely a troll (although queenslanders are so f**king stupid it is hard to tell)

Didn't the Aussies have a war dance too on their early tour/s?

Up until the 67/68 tour to UK and France, they used to do it only for overseas tours.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I've seen footage of the aboriginal war dance, no racial offence but it looked pretty geniused but i assume it looks pretty menacing when a proper bunch of tribal folk do t properly (and looked pretty cool when they did it against the NZ maori team in the opener to the last wc).

As for banning the haka, he be trolling.

Snappy

Coach

As is the usual way on LU, if you dont agree with someone's opinion you call them names. :roll:

I stand by my comments. Every time I watch the haka I think that the game should be kicking off already. Either choose to play the national anthem or the haka, but dont stuff around with both.

Karl

Juniors
I don't mind the delay, and I like the spectacle, but I don't think that it's necessarily very equitable.

The HAKA is used by the team doing it to intimidate the other team, but more importantly, to fire themselves up. There was a thread posted on here recently about the positive effects that celebrating a try/goal etc has on team performance. It's apprently quite measurable and successful celebrations have characteristics that they have been able to detirmine as most effective. Something like the Haka ticks all of those boxes.

It is therefore entirely reasonable to argue that it provides a team with an unfair advantage, particularly when it forms a key part of the build up and is featured in the way it is with the opposing team unable to turn their backs and ignore it etc. Not only are they ALLOWED to perform the Haka, but the other team is basically FORCED to watch.

Let them do a Haka for the crowd if they must during their warm up, but when the teams run on, it should be scrupulously fair in terms of even treatment for both teams.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Who says they are forced to watch? England just got into a huddle during the WC. I would have thought facing it would fire the Aussies up as well surely.

jbl31649

Juniors
Keep it.

And while their doing their war dance the Aussie boys can sit around John Williams and sing

"Rip, Rip Woodchip Turn into paper, Throw it in the bin no news today"

"Nightmare Dreaming can you hear the scream, Chainsaw, eyesaw - more decay"

Billythekid

First Grade
As is the usual way on LU, if you dont agree with someone's opinion you call them names. :roll:

I stand by my comments. Every time I watch the haka I think that the game should be kicking off already. Either choose to play the national anthem or the haka, but dont stuff around with both.

It's like a 1 minute delay is it really hurting you that much?

Snappy

Coach
I don't mind the delay, and I like the spectacle, but I don't think that it's necessarily very equitable.

The HAKA is used by the team doing it to intimidate the other team, but more importantly, to fire themselves up. There was a thread posted on here recently about the positive effects that celebrating a try/goal etc has on team performance. It's apprently quite measurable and successful celebrations have characteristics that they have been able to detirmine as most effective. Something like the Haka ticks all of those boxes.

It is therefore entirely reasonable to argue that it provides a team with an unfair advantage, particularly when it forms a key part of the build up and is featured in the way it is with the opposing team unable to turn their backs and ignore it etc. Not only are they ALLOWED to perform the Haka, but the other team is basically FORCED to watch.

Let them do a Haka for the crowd if they must during their warm up, but when the teams run on, it should be scrupulously fair in terms of even treatment for both teams.

Very fair points and also why I dont like it.

Grapple

Bench
Why don't u just do one back? Tamou can lead it

The Aussies already have their own haka...

mob_wideweb__470x278,0.jpg

Latest posts