What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Raiders rd 20

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Through some crazy adversity with injuries this year we’ve been the better team in most games….we just haven’t won.

You can either write that off as pure luck, or you can try to rationalise it. I’m honestly not sure which is the right way to look at it. I just maintain what I’ve said before, which is Webster seemingly coaches process but not winning. The difference between where we are and the top 4 this season has been a few mental skills sessions and a bit of planning for how to play the last 5 minutes of a close game.

Webster post match:
Cant start like that.
Goal kicking didn't define us tonight.
Errors reason for bad start. Not tackling hard enough.
Things don't go our way at the moment.
Pompey knee no good.
Barnett: lost hurts, night off didn't cross his mind as leader in the club, won't be there without the boys. Hurting ourselves with errors and poor last plays. Wants to win every week.

Very short.

sup42

Juniors
It’s more than the gods. The team lacks finesse and the ability to create opportunities. Lack of speed and halves have been up and down all season
Yeah and that is because fate has not allowed us to field anything like a consistent spine for any decent run of games.
Even tonight we lost our starting fullback and were running a configuration that had not prepped in training right off the bat.

Mate Warriors fans need to learn to enjoy hard fought losses like tonight, they mean something, they mean a club has character which is a starting point to becoming a winning side.

It all starts with being hard to beat in the NRL even if that means lots of hard to bear losses that ultimately mean you do not make the eight.

Being hard to beat is where every club in this comp who ever did anything started from in this comp. This year we are not top eight by the looks, but at least we have had a lot of games where we fought down to the wire.

So yeah I am bloody thrilled with tonight's game.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Webster post match:
Cant start like that.
Goal kicking didn't define us tonight.
Errors reason for bad start. Not tackling hard enough.
Things don't go our way at the moment.
Pompey knee no good

So…he’s right, we started poorly, and I thought we were a bit soft physically. But we came back, and despite having a badly compromised backline we ended up well and truly outplaying them and out scoring them 4 tries to 1 over the last 45 minutes.

We didn’t lose because of generally poor football, we lost because CHT didn’t kick goals.

The problem with the ‘trust the process’ stuff is it only truly works if you’re planning on winning by 20 every week. In reality, you can try to nail process as much as you like but you’re still going to have to nail big moments and come up with clutch plays, because it’s the NRL and close games are going to happen. The moments which don’t define us have literally defined this year.

Yeah and that is because fate has not allowed us to field anything like a consistent spine for any decent run of games.
Even tonight we lost our starting fullback and were running a configuration that had not prepped in training right off the bat.

Mate Warriors fans need to learn to enjoy hard fought losses like tonight, they mean something, they mean a club has character which is a starting point to becoming a winning side.

It all starts with being hard to beat in the NRL even if that means lots of hard to bear losses that ultimately mean you do not make the eight.

Being hard to beat is where every club in this comp who ever did anything started from in this comp. This year we are not top eight by the looks, but at least we have had a lot of games where we fought down to the wire.

So yeah I am bloody thrilled with tonight's game.
I need what ever you are on.

Tough to beat don't let 2 soft tries in early.
Tough to beat teams turn teams away after multiple repeat sets, pin teams in their halves, don't give away dumb penalties, don't try stupid offloads in their half.

I'm dejected by tonight game.

TMM looked like a shell of a player he had been with SJ on sideline.

Blair

Coach
I don't want Chanel beating himself up tonight, as this wasn't a final.

We're in this hopeless position because of our poor form, over far too many games, along with bad luck in other games we almost won.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Btw - I thought we played better with RTS at fullback
Not saying he played poorly, but it probably vindicated Webster a bit for me seeing him play nearly a full game there

Maybe another off season will help, but to me he is looking slow and heavy, and has no spark left in that position anymore. There were a few balls that he wasn’t keen to get under and took the gamble of letting them bounce as well

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, I'm not seeing the love for RTS. I feel like it has to be partly to do with reputation. It's really not even close with him and CNK at full fitness. Yes he has moments but he's slowed down significantly

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
And I feel awful for CHT. He starts the game as the third choice goal kicker behind Pompey and Tuaupiki, and all of a sudden the role is on him.

We have shown a lot of resolve at times, the injury toll has gone from a dream run in 2023 to a nightmare in 2024. That's not to say we haven't done a lot of poor stuff, which we have, but it's really been brutal stuff with in-game injuries and running guys in different positions

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
@Manu Vatuvei @Meth you'd be proud of my 9 year old - when Ford came on early, she said (unprompted) 'oh no, that guy is on' and I asked what she meant...'he's too slow and always drops the ball' 😂

Then felt so proud of herself when he dropped that easy ball in the first half

Latest posts