What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 09 thoughts

Pierced Soul

First Grade
if you had said at the start of the year we'd make it to one game out of the gf i'd have been pretty happy.

this was always going to be a rebuilding year with the loss of so many players and the coach who's been here for over 2 decades.

along the way the club's blooded a lot of young players, probably more than i recall in any recent season and a lot of them have shown glimpses of potential.

we saw some good early season form to win a lot of games, but then the wheels fell off midseason. how many teams put 40 or more on us? how many times did the players look disinterested?

henjak and the players managed to turn the attitude around which was amazing because it got to the stage i didnt think they'd win another game all year.

they improved their finals record with wins in the first two games before getting blwon off the park by who i beliecve will be the eventual premiers.

the lowlight for me was the half a dozen floggings, the highlight for me was the win in the semis against st george.

the younger paleyrs will be better for the experience but for us to improve the older heads need to stand up, I dont think Tunza will be back to try and arrest the midseason form and andrew symonds may be abck playing cricket somewhere.

Izzy will hopefully have a full off season to get used to playing centre and some of he newer forwards will ahve a bit more tiem to get used to the players around them. the younger kids will hopefully be chomping at the bit to get another chance and we can finally spend an off season working on our defence. and we'll also need a new set play cos the 2nd man play wont work without hunt :p

and if cullen doesnt do something about the retentiona nd recruitment i hope he gets booted out

beads6

First Grade
If this season was a rebuilding year what do you think 2010 will be? Our forward pack will be smaller and we have lost a very good fullback.

jarro

Juniors
I'm pretty happy with the year we've had.

Henjak turned out to be ok in his first season in charge, although i do believe he learned a lot of hard lessons along the way too which is a good thing.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the youngsters that were blooded this year perform next year. lots of potential in that lot for sure.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
What did you all think about Folau's move to the centres?

As a casual observer I noticed that Winterstein was seeing alot less ball/oppurtunities than he was earlier in the year.

Broncos93

Juniors
What did you all think about Folau's move to the centres?

As a casual observer I noticed that Winterstein was seeing alot less ball/oppurtunities than he was earlier in the year.
Now you mention it, you're right. One good thing Michaels did was get a lot of ball to Winterstein to score tries. Still, Folau scored a lot more tries when he got moved to center as well. He'll find his feet eventually.

johnnyg

Juniors
I dont think Folau is comfortable at all playing left center. Hopefully he can work on it ALOT during the off season.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
If this season was a rebuilding year what do you think 2010 will be? Our forward pack will be smaller and we have lost a very good fullback.

i think some of the younger guys who got a taste like mcguire and williams will ahve a better idea whats needed next year. players like sims, setu and te'o all had good moments and will now have the challenge of being more consistent next year

yoh yeh and winterstein will be better for the experience as will mcculloch

on the plus side i reckon lockyer will retire from rep footy at the end of this year and denan kemp who's no K, will do well from the back.

i dont necessarily expect the team's gonna win enxt eyar but i do expect better performances from the younger players

Dazzat

First Grade
Hoffman has the goods to be fullback next year.

As for this year: We over achieved considering the players and coach that we lost from last year. The success of the Bulldogs shows the class that we lost in player stocks.

The best of 09:

The continuing emergence of Peter Wallace as a playmaker capable of taking over from Lockyer when he retires.

The improvement of Ben Teo and Legi Setu toward the end of the season.

Giving McCulloch the opportunity to play so much first grade (sorry PJ, but its looking to the future)

Yow Yeh showing glimpses of the match winner he will be.

Worst of 09:

Justin Hodges continuing to play below his best for most of the season.

David Taylor deciding to play to his potential only after signing with South Sydney.

Folou not finding a home in the backline.

The Canberra game.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Hoffman has the goods to be fullback next year.

As for this year: We over achieved considering the players and coach that we lost from last year. The success of the Bulldogs shows the class that we lost in player stocks.

The best of 09:

The continuing emergence of Peter Wallace as a playmaker capable of taking over from Lockyer when he retires.

The improvement of Ben Teo and Legi Setu toward the end of the season.

Giving McCulloch the opportunity to play so much first grade (sorry PJ, but its looking to the future)

Yow Yeh showing glimpses of the match winner he will be.

Worst of 09:

Justin Hodges continuing to play below his best for most of the season.

David Taylor deciding to play to his potential only after signing with South Sydney.

Folou not finding a home in the backline.

The Canberra game.

Oh boy... :crazy:

ponies 4ever

Juniors
The thing that makes me happiest in 2009 is we have found an excellent Head Coach in Ivan Henjak. Qualifying Final in Year 1, not a bad effort at all. The playing group taking ownership of poor performances mid-season to rebound and have southern critics eating humble pie once again. What a fantastic club the MIGHTY BRISBANE BRONCOS are, geez we Queenslanders are lucky !:D

hellteam

First Grade
I hope we get to see at least a bit over Hodges at fullback in 2010... him and Berrigan won us the 06 premiership and I don't see us being a competitive team unless we have him at fullback. Fullbacks are so important in this day and age and Hoffman and Kemp just aren't up to it.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I hope we get to see at least a bit over Hodges at fullback in 2010... him and Berrigan won us the 06 premiership and I don't see us being a competitive team unless we have him at fullback. Fullbacks are so important in this day and age and Hoffman and Kemp just aren't up to it.

So are centres and unless Izzy can improve massively over the off season at right centre then I think our centres will be too weak. I'm confident that Kemp will be able to handle it. It may take him a little while but I think he will handle it really well.

Smiley

Bench
Karmichael Hunt
Isn't a matchwinner in the style of Hayne, Slater et al but ended his short yet stunning NRL career as one of the elite fullbacks.
Grade B+

Antonio Winterstein
A great find for Brisbane who came from nowhere to be a regular on the wing. Didn't miss a game but needs to cut down mistakes and improve under the high ball.
Grade B

Justin Hodges
A year punctuated by patchy play on the field, injury and some personal problems beyond the sidelines. Played 18 games for three tries, works tirelessly from dummy half but his defensive effort against Melbourne didn't make for pretty viewing
Grade B

Israel Folau
Wonderful start to the season from Brisbane's star signing before an ankle injury saw him spend two months on the sidelines. Produced 17 tries but it's time his defence matched his attack. Amazing a man of his physique can be made to look so vulnerable.
Grade B

Jharal Yow Yeh
Another bolt from the blue who looks among the best of Brisbane's youth. Has dazzling feet, great genetics and a head for the game. Looks the goods.
Grade B

Darren Lockyer
Had his credentials questioned yet again but rose to the challenge when Brisbane needed him most. One of the game's greatest competitors.
Grade B+

Peter Wallace
Had his confidence shot when dropped by NSW but rebounded strongly to be one of the most influential halfbacks in the NRL. Terribly missed against Melbourne.
Grade B+

Nick Kenny
Huge improver in 2009. What he lacks in ability he makes up in heart. No frills but does his job with gusto. Rumours of Kangaroos selection premature.
Grade B

Andrew McCullough
Beat out some veterans to establish himself as easily Brisbane's best number nine. Rapid maturity in his rookie year was a huge bonus for Brisbane. Representative potential.
Grade A

Dave Taylor
How do you grade a man who played half the season in Q Cup and then returned to tear up defences at will? Stunning turnaround in form to become a real weapon out wide.
Grade A

Sam Thaiday
Played 23 games and gave everything in the Brisbane backrow. Attacks the fringes but could do with adding some bells and whistles to his power game.
Grade B

Ashton Sims
Came of age when he bullied the Dragons but isn't the consistent force his coach would like him to be. His career looks like it finally has its second wind.
Grade B

Corey Parker
Never gets the headlines but was the rock of Brisbane's scrum, playing every game. Add on the reliable goalkicking and Parker just completed his best season in the top grade.
Grade A

Ben Te'o
Along with Lagi Setu, his hiring was questioned at stages throughout the season as he battled with form. Found his groove late in the year but must contribute more.
Grade C+

Tonie Carroll
Grizzled veteran came back to save the day and almost did just that. Still a brutal defender but is certainly no five-eighth.
Grade B

Lagi Setu
The club gambled with Setu and he started to repay that faith with some good showings late in the season as Brisbane flourished. Very ordinary early on.
Grade C+

Alex Glenn
Played all over the park and probably should have been given a go at halfback instead of just the jersey. Game character who is a valuable asset at Red Hill.
Grade B+

Joel Clinton
Has found a home on the bench but will get another change at starting next season with Taylor's departure. More of a roleplayer than a prop idol these days.
Grade B-

Ivan Henjak
The rookie coach rode out a terrible losing streak to have his side one game short of the grand final. Was never flustered and carried himself superbly off the field. May have needed to take a bigger risk when Wallace missed the preliminary final but it may not have mattered.
Grade A

brisbanetimes.com.au Player of the Year: Corey Parker.

link

Latest posts