What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 09 thoughts

hellteam

First Grade
So are centres and unless Izzy can improve massively over the off season at right centre then I think our centres will be too weak. I'm confident that Kemp will be able to handle it. It may take him a little while but I think he will handle it really well.

Izzy's only weak cause he's on the left and it's not his natural side. He's played for Australia on the right side and will be just as dangerous as Hodges.

I've never really though Hodges suited centre as much as fullback, because most of the breaks he makes are just from dummy half running and things around the ruck. Centres are more suited to hitting the line at pace (like Folau)

hellteam

First Grade
Kemp will not be a good fullback. He's not a natural "footballer". He only started playing the game when he was 15 or so (soccer before that), and doesn't have any of the ballplaying/reading the game/backing up ability a fullback should have. Keep him on the wing where he can finish off tries, not set them up

blueballs

Juniors
Ivan was good in his first year at head coach , he learnt some valuable lessons along the way. He will also be alot better next year. The fact that Ivan used so many young players shows that he is interested in building the club up in the long term not just the short term. The Broncos will have a new dynasty of players simalar to the days of Wille Carne, the pearl Hanncock , gaven allen and Gee gee. These young kids all coming through have the talent if matured properly. give them time cause they are a very tight bunch that have been groomed from a young age to come through. They are covering key positions Baptese and macca in the hooker role , wallace and ben hunt in the halves,falou yowye copley kemp in the back line a young pack of setu teo mcguire hala sims kenny lui. a very bright future so 09 was thi first step in the growth.

beads6

First Grade
Kemp will not be a good fullback. He's not a natural "footballer". He only started playing the game when he was 15 or so (soccer before that), and doesn't have any of the ballplaying/reading the game/backing up ability a fullback should have. Keep him on the wing where he can finish off tries, not set them up

YOU HAVE NO IDEA CHAMP. Kemp will carve it up at fullback in 2010 for the Broncos.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Izzy's only weak cause he's on the left and it's not his natural side. He's played for Australia on the right side and will be just as dangerous as Hodges.

I've never really though Hodges suited centre as much as fullback, because most of the breaks he makes are just from dummy half running and things around the ruck. Centres are more suited to hitting the line at pace (like Folau)

He still had problems at the start of the year when he was on the right though. Izzy and Yow Yeh defence was shocking. Maybe after he gets an extended amount of time in the centres and a good off season of training as one he will be better. Lets hope so anyway.

DeeJ

Bench
If you expect the new fullback to be exactly what Karmichael Hunt was you will be sorely disappointed. Kemp will bring his own qualities from the back, I'd compare him to Slater in that sense. He will give us an option in the middle and just imagine him flying off offloads. I can't wait!

Ghoulies

Bench
YOU HAVE NO IDEA CHAMP. Kemp will carve it up at fullback in 2010 for the Broncos.
What a thoroughly convincing argument; you even used caps!

Hellteam reasoned why he didn't think Kemp would cut it as fullback next year, so can you at least explain why you think he has no idea, and that Kemp is a sure thing to carve up?

benj4

Juniors
I see more potential in Hoffman. He was thrown to the wolves in most games without a proper halves combination to run off and a under performing forward pack so I think people are judging him harshly. He is good on his feet, is elusive, has a general sense of when to chime into the backline and has good size much like Hunt. Positional play is lacking but he has one of the great fullbacks in the side to learn off. He also had a shoulder reconstruction so a proper pre-season will do him good.

Kemp has had an ordinary year and I think it is a bit much to expect him to instantly return to his 2008 form.

Last edited:

beads6

First Grade
If you expect the new fullback to be exactly what Karmichael Hunt was you will be sorely disappointed. Kemp will bring his own qualities from the back, I'd compare him to Slater in that sense. He will give us an option in the middle and just imagine him flying off offloads. I can't wait!

Spot on. It seems to me people are dying for Hoffman to be just like HUNT. I dare say no fullback will have the ball skills K had for quite a while IMO. Also Kemp will blitz them from fullbakc due to his pace, agility and tackle breaking ability.

beads6

First Grade
whilst i like Kemp as a player, i'd have to agree with hellteam. I see Kemp as a great finisher, not so much as a ball-player like Hunt.

I don't expect Kemp to be anything like Hunt. Infact I can see Kemp being more of the Slater type fullback minus the brain explosions..

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I think Kemp would have a good go from fullback. and he wouldnt ball play but there'll be opportunities from breaks he makes.

I dont think how long he's played the game an issue -lockyer only played fullback cos he had walters in front of him...

Kemps speed will help him overcome initial positional probs -the same way minichello and slater covered initial positional probs

it would be interetsing to see whetehr hodges at fullback gets him more involved in the game, and you gotta remember he left brisbane because he wanted to play fullback

hellteam

First Grade
I also think hodges playing fullback would ensure that he actually plays most the games next year.. He's missed a lot of footy the last few years and maybe that's cause of the defensive work etc of playing centre.

On kemp he's such a good finisher he'd be wasted playing fullback, but that's just my opinion and id be as happy as anyone to see him carve it up from the back

Broncodr01d

Juniors
- Very happy with some of the young talent we blooded in 09.
- Very happy in first year coach Ivan Henjak's performance, I believe he played a MASSIVE role in turning our season around.
- Stoked to see the pride in the Broncos jumper after the 56-0 flogging by Canberra. We rallied and fell one game short of the Grand Final. It hurts, but heads up, we will be better for this season in 2010 and 2011.

Overall, a good season. In the pre-season I had us going deep in the finals, we did that, we just slipped up at the end. What could've been perhaps with Wallace? We sure did miss him (though no excuse for the performance, we sucked).

Well done boys, bring on 2010.

Latest posts