What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2004-05

Anonymous

Juniors
I read in the paper today that the tests and one dayers for next year have been shaken up with the Windies pulling out of their test series here. It said in their place a two test series will be played against the Kiwis.

This I found puzzling to say the least. Why would there only be two matches played, considering that they were the next best side against us after India, you would have expected them get 3 or even 4 tests. Also seeing as though the Pakistan series is only 3 tests that means it's only a 5 test summer, very short IMO.

Somthing else which isinteresting was that the Windies, Pakistan and New Zealand will all be participating in the ODI series. Ch.9 don't like it because there will be a large number of games not involving the Aussies that they contractually have to cover.

Whatever happens it will be an interesting summer.

Matt23

Staff member
So does this mean, Australia will only be playing 5 match test series against England?, Maybe Australia should start playing a 5 test series against India?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The West Indies were originally gonna play a 3-test series, along with Pakistan. I find it disgusting that the Windies have pulled out, when its only a 3-test series, and Zimbabwe were not afraid to take on the Aussies last year. Something's gotta be done in the West Indies, wheres the spirit, wheres the good players gone. I wish the West Indies were as tough as they were in the 80s and early 90s. With the Kiwis coming down under next year, whose gonna tour Australia in 2005/06 along with South Africa?

Its gonna be interesting, if we're gonna have four nations in the VB Series next year.

Here's what I thought the test schedule wouldve been:

Pakistan
1st test: Brisbane
2nd test: Hobart
3rd test: Perth

West Indies
1st Test: Adelaide
2nd test: Melbourne
3rd Test: Sydney

Anonymous

Juniors
From what I read the original series was as follows:

1st test vs. Windies (Brisbane)
2nd test vs. Windies (Perth)
3rd test vs. Windies (Hobart)

1st test vs. Pakistan (Adelaide)
2nd test vs. Pakistan (Melbourne)
3rd test vs. Pakistan (Sydney)

Now the Kiwis will be taking the place of the Windies with the Hobart test being scrubbed.

The Windies pulling out due to scheduling constraints is upsetting. Also Cricket Australia not wanting a 5 test series vs. the Windies is poor form considering the tradition involved.

Also the Kiwis were deserving of at least a 4 test series going on last tours efforts.

Rustay

Juniors
It will be good to see Shoaib down under again and see him letting rip. Im sure Pakistan have other good players too but im only interested in Shoaib.

I am glad its the Kiwis playing and not the Windies. The Windies would be absolutely no match for us and it would be a very lop-sided series. New Zealand on the other hand proved on their last tour that they are a tough side to beat. I would have thought though that it would be our turn to tour NZ not the other way around. We havent toured their in a while.

Anonymous

Juniors
It's geniused we only get 2 tests. This happens to us all the time. Even in 2001/02 we got 3 tests, but how many did India get this time around, especially considering we flogged India last season? We are forever playing 2 test "series".

Macca

Coach
Doesn't it all have to do with the Test rankings they do now. The top tier nations play more against each other and the 2nd tier nations only get a couple.

weasel

First Grade
I think the main reason India were given four tests is because of their crowd drawing potential. A lot of people are keen to see Tendulkar bat, there's a large indian population in Aus willing to get out to the games, and also I think India just has an aura of appeal about them to the Australian public seeing as we have struggled for so long to conquer them in India. Windies were downgraded from five to three cuz well they've sucked for years now and it'd be hard to sustain good crowds through the series if it's looking like a whitewash early on. I'm suprised we're only gonna play two tests against NZ instead of three, but really they're not huge crowd pullers either. The Australia-NZ rivalry isn't as strong in cricket as it is in rugby, well at least not on this side of the tasman anyway, probably because there's still a perception that the Black Caps are easy beats.

Anonymous

Juniors
NZ is number 3???
According to who.??
Where is that written down??

The official test rankings? :roll:

Anyway, we aren't anymore, I think NZ are about 5th in a tight battle with Pakistan and India above us. But 2 years ago when we toured we were up around 3 or 4, and only got 3 tests. Compare that to India, who completely suck ass away from home and were ranked about 6 prior to this seasons series, and got 4 tests.

I think the main reason India were given four tests is because of their crowd drawing potential. A lot of people are keen to see Tendulkar bat, there's a large indian population in Aus willing to get out to the games, and also I think India just has an aura of appeal about them to the Australian public seeing as we have struggled for so long to conquer them in India.

I can't argue. You know more about the Australian perception than I do. All I can offer in response is that the perception is wrong and ridiculous. Prior to this seasons tour, India's away record, infact their general test record in recent years, was fairly embarrassing. They have been preeeetty crap for a while now.

Windies were downgraded from five to three cuz well they've sucked for years now and it'd be hard to sustain good crowds through the series if it's looking like a whitewash early on.

Not too many arguments here.

I'm suprised we're only gonna play two tests against NZ instead of three, but really they're not huge crowd pullers either. The Australia-NZ rivalry isn't as strong in cricket as it is in rugby, well at least not on this side of the tasman anyway, probably because there's still a perception that the Black Caps are easy beats.

Again, can't argue with your analysis of the Aussie perception, because I'm not there. But it's hard to understand how we can be seen as easybeats when we beat you in one-dayers and drew in tests only 2 years ago (sorry to keep bringing this up, but it's the most obvious response to absurd claims about NZ cricket in comparison to Australian.) On the other hand, India have sucked long and hard whenever they've ventured away from the subcontinent for, ooooh, 30 years maybe?

Anonymous

Juniors
It's staggering to think that NZ can be seen as easybeats despite not losing a test series to anyone, anywhere, between October 2000 and December 2003.

Macca

Coach
Thierry Henry said:
It's staggering to think that NZ can be seen as easybeats despite not losing a test series to anyone, anywhere, between October 2000 and December 2003.

Look mate, I am not swept up on my NZ test results as much as you are but can you provide the stats to back this up along with the source of the stats so I can check them out myself.

Anonymous

Juniors
McSharkie said:
Thierry Henry said:

Look mate, I am not swept up on my NZ test results as much as you are but can you provide the stats to back this up along with the source of the stats so I can check them out myself.

And where would I find stats on that??? It's just a straightforward fact, NZ didn't lose a test series between October 2000 (well, sometime just prior to the 2000/01 season) when they lost in South Africa, and the recent series v Pakistan.

I think the results went something like this

2000/01
Drew 1-1 with Pakistan
Drew 0-0 with Zimbabwe

2001/02
Drew 0-0 with Australia
Drew 1-1 with England
Won 2-0 Vs Bangladesh
Won 1-0 Vs West Indies
Lost 1st test Vs Pakistan-series declared null following bomb blast

2002/03
Won 2-0 Vs India
Drew 0-0 Vs Sri Lanka
Drew 0-0 Vs India

I wouldn't have a clue where to find an old test rankings archive, but it's been well documented that NZ were #3 for some time.

Macca

Coach
If you say so mate. I wouldn't rate them in the top 5, but thats's just my opinion. You'll get your chance against the best next summer. Good luck. :D