What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2004

bucko

Juniors
Well Souths ewre quite unlucky this year, losing a lot of their by less than 10 points, and almost defeating big names like brisbane and penrith. The wooden spoon is lookin inevitable, so it's time to look ahead to next year.

How will souths go next year?? Do they have the capacity to lift themeselves from the bottom of the table, or will their season be much similar to this one, "close but no cigar??"

Slugs

Seano said:
Unfortunately i think we may run last again - or close to it

I disagree

Penrith had a similar year to us last year by losing the close games.

All it takes is to start winning those close games and all of a sudden you are on a role.

Penrith were not travelling that well this year...look at their first couple of games and then all of a sudden they turned it around (just so happens it was against us at Penrith) and then they went onto to win 10/11 in a row.

We can only hope we follow in their footsteps next year

ozzie

Bench
Always the optimist Slugs - I have forwarded to you a little pressy - one you can display in your club..Oh don't do that we want people to see it...

kitchen_wooden_spoon_md_sdw.gif

Slugs

ozzie said:
Always the optimist Slugs - I have forwarded to you a little pressy - one you can display in your club..Oh don't do that we want people to see it...

kitchen_wooden_spoon_md_sdw.gif

Hmmm........a plastic wooden spoon

Wouldn't that look better besides that plastic Claytons Premiership Cup you received last year :lol: :lol:

ozzie

Bench
how would you know if its plastic or not - its going to be melted down before you guys win it!!

You know these trophies rust after 200 years or so...

Tigerpete

Juniors
I have to agree with a lot of u guys here ......i really cant see u guys going that much better than this year. Of all the players you've signed there's not really one player i can look at and think he'll make a difference. Dean Byrne and Willie Manu will be good buys for you and if u do get Hill which looks likely then at least u can try to build a future for the club.

Slugs

ozzie said:
how would you know if its plastic or not - its going to be melted down before you guys win it!!

You know these trophies rust after 200 years or so...

Well we should we have enough of them........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mambo

Juniors
I can see what Langers is doing. The key is not next year, but it is 2005,2006,2007....and the longevity of the club. Langers obviously has a youth recruitment policy. The best young players like Williams, Byrne, Hall, Polglase etc are being recruited. The basis for a good team is there, with Fletch, Smith, O, Richo, Harro, Stringer all going to be around next year. The youth begin to mix with the players that are already here, the crap players are being cut away with Moi Moi and Wise K going. Even losing Merritt doesn't hurt that much, he would be getting above his value in our cap so let cronulla get him and use the money in more important roles than winger. Manu will go better under langers, if we get Hill i think it could be the same.

legend

Coach
Polglase
Watts
Hookey
Richardson
Marteene
Craigie
Byrne
Harrison
Fletcher
Smith
Hall
Walker
Stringer

Manu
Hart
Minichello
Puletua/Tandy

Surely that side will win more games than this years side?

Mambo

Juniors
Expect the signing of around 3 more players before next year. I think Payten could be one (its between Wests and us) and Hill will be another. But i think there is some room to move to snatch another one.

Fowty

Juniors
I'd like to see the bunnies with a well-known coach. No offence against Langmack but fair dinkum why did we sign him when he doesnt have that much experience? I mean I wish he did....and he may turn out alright........but to sign an inexperienced coach for three years was ludicrous......why couldnt we wait for him to prove himself a bit first and just give him a trail period.........

Hey how do you guys get the pics up on the screen???????

Mambo

Juniors
Who do you think will get first crack at the number 7 jersey next year between Kearney, Williams, Byrne and Peters?? I got a gut feeling that Peters might stick around in Oz despite contract offers from the UK. He obviously isn't a favourite of Langers. I think Williams might get a call up sooner than we all anticipate. This may be due to the fact Big O plays better footy in the centres and despite the likely signing of Tezza, his days of playing centre are over.

I expect Byrne and Williams to be our halves with Peters in PL to start the season putting pressure on the others to perform. Centres are likely to be Richo and Craigie with Marteene and Hookey on the flanks, Mad Pup II putting pressure on their spots.

The forwards speak for themselves next year but we are still short a prop. We have Hall, Geddes, Stringer and Merideth. We need 5 props to last the season. I guess that is why we are going to court to fight for Dallas Rennie. Does anyone actually rate Rennie anyway????

FJ

Juniors
Northwest Rabbit said:
Who do you think will get first crack at the number 7 jersey next year between Kearney, Williams, Byrne and Peters?? I got a gut feeling that Peters might stick around in Oz despite contract offers from the UK. He obviously isn't a favourite of Langers. I think Williams might get a call up sooner than we all anticipate. This may be due to the fact Big O plays better footy in the centres and despite the likely signing of Tezza, his days of playing centre are over.

I expect Byrne and Williams to be our halves with Peters in PL to start the season putting pressure on the others to perform. Centres are likely to be Richo and Craigie with Marteene and Hookey on the flanks, Mad Pup II putting pressure on their spots.

The forwards speak for themselves next year but we are still short a prop. We have Hall, Geddes, Stringer and Merideth. We need 5 props to last the season. I guess that is why we are going to court to fight for Dallas Rennie. Does anyone actually rate Rennie anyway????

I think that perhaps Peters or Byrne will get the first crack at the number 7. Williams will probably get it in the end from what ive heard about him... The depth at 7 is fantastic.

As for props we have those you mentioned as well as lolohea and hart can cover that position as well. We also have tandy and Puletua as handy backups, although you wouldnt have them starting in first grade.

How about this for a side:

Polglase/Watts
Macdougall (take your pick, depends if we get mad dog)
Richardson
Hookey
Marteene (will tighten up the defence on the right hand side)
Harrison
Byrne/Peters
Stringer
Walker
Geddes
Fletcher
Smith
Hill
Int:
Hall
Hart
Stuart
Craigie (use him as a Mclinden style utility and Harrison like Croker. Lets face it Hill will get injured sooner or later and you move Harrison into lock)

On top of this you have Rigon, Minichiello, Kearney, Pethybridge, Lolohea, and Meredith vying for spots

Seano

Juniors
tandy will not be with souths next year, also souths have tabled offers for fitzgerald and puletua though we are waiting to see whats doing.

if puletua leaves (some will say no loss there) we will be even shorter