What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2014 - Your side

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
This season has almost been the very definition of a year to forget. With some of the insipid performances in defence, and dull unimaginative showings in attack, there were not a lot of positives to take out of the on field performances. There were however, some interesting signings made this year. With that in mind - what does your 2014 side look like?

Mine below:

1. Hoffman
2. Copley
3. Reed
4. Kahu
5. Oates
6. Barba*
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Kennedy
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker (c)

14. Gillett
15. McGuire
16. Stagg
17. Hala

*Despite all having gone quiet on the Milford front, I still think it's very likely that we will see him released from the Raiders and signed by Brisbane some time after the GF, in which case he starts at 6, Barba moves to fullback, Hoffman to centre and Oates to the bench to start his NRL back row career. Stagg to Qcup to cover for injuries to any of the forwards.

Either way, it means McCullough needs to become an 80 minute hooker. Better hit the cardio hard in the offseason Macca...

Bretto

Bench
1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Oates
5. Yow Yeh
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Glenn
16. Kennedy
17. Stagg / Dodds / Tasi / Hala

I'm not entirely sold on Granville in #14. He's shown good form in QCup, but has apparently had some not so great ones, too.

Packy

Bench
If you play Barba anywhere other than fullback you are tethering him. I sincerely hope you play him at 6.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
If you play Barba anywhere other than fullback you are tethering him. I sincerely hope you play him at 6.

Hence the asterisk. Given that Brisbane have no other recognised playmaker in the side yet, he is there via necessity. I firmly believe he will be starting at 1 however.

Bretto

Bench

Same thing can be said about Milford. Bring a 19 year old kid into the Broncos, put Darren Lockyers' number on his back and tell him to play a play making role and he's gotta kick and help guide the whole team around... It's a big ask for a young kid.

Barba I believe has more experience and is more ready for that kind of task. Just because you put him in the #6 jersey, doesn't mean you're going to kill his running game, it just means he'll have to do more tackling in the front line, but he'll hopefully have Thaiday and probably Oates to help him with defence. Which has just raised another thought in that Oates is pretty fresh himself - Maybe playing a more experienced #4 over there would help with the defensive side of things - Copley or Glenn.

unbreaK

Juniors
I personally don't think we'll get Milford.. so I'll name my side without him being considered.

1. Barba
2. Kahu
3. Reed
4. Hoffman
5. Yow Yeh (Copley/Oates)
6. Strasser
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Gillett
12. Glenn (c)
13. Parker (c)

14. Granville
15. Thaiday
16. Kennedy
17. Dodds

Strasser has shown great organisational skills in QCUP this year, which is what Hunt needs next to him, I would have him well ahead of Barba and Hoffman for the #6 jersey next year, if we get Milford somehow, slot him into the #6.

Kiwi

First Grade
1 - Barba
2 - Hoffman/Copely
3 - Reed
4- Oates
5 - Kahu
6 - Milford/Hoffman
7 - Hunt
8 - Hannant/Kennedy
9 - McCullough
10 - McGuire
11 - Thaiday
12 - Glenn/Gillett
13 - Parker

14 - Granville
15 - Kennedy/Hannant
16 - Gillett/Glenn
17 - Stagg/Hala/Dodds/Tasi

JamesBrandy

Juniors
1. Ben Barba
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed.
4. Justin Hodges/Dale Copley
5. Jahral Yow Yeh/Jordan Kahu
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Martin Kennedy
11. Alex Glenn
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Jake Granville
15. Matt Gillett
16. David Hala
17. Lama Tasi

Alex Glenn and Sam Thaiday both need to shed a few kilos and get fitter before next season.

Dazzat

First Grade
I'm going to live in a fantasy land where Yow Yeh's career is resurrected as he takes his place as the new blockbusting winger who runs over people instead of around, and where Justin Hodges is miraculously cured by Kobi Bryant's surgeons.

However, can't live in the fantasy about Milford until the deal is done.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Strasser
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Baptiste
15. Glenn
16. Hala
17. Kennedy

Agree with unBreak ... Strasser looks a likely type. Shows lots of energy and looks to be a good talker on the field as well ... and we don't have anyone else (kinda gives the kid an advantage).

Bretto

Bench
1. Ben Barba
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed.
4. Justin Hodges/Dale Copley
5. Jahral Yow Yeh/Jordan Kahu
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Martin Kennedy
11. Alex Glenn
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Jake Granville
15. Matt Gillett
16. David Hala
17. Lama Tasi

Alex Glenn and Sam Thaiday both need to shed a few kilos and get fitter before next season.

Dumping Josh McGuire?

I'm going to live in a fantasy land where Yow Yeh's career is resurrected as he takes his place as the new blockbusting winger who runs over people instead of around, and where Justin Hodges is miraculously cured by Kobi Bryant's surgeons.

However, can't live in the fantasy about Milford until the deal is done.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Strasser
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Baptiste
15. Glenn
16. Hala
17. Kennedy

Agree with unBreak ... Strasser looks a likely type. Shows lots of energy and looks to be a good talker on the field as well ... and we don't have anyone else (kinda gives the kid an advantage).

Baptiste won't be around next year. Probably going to Super League, but definitely won't be at the Broncos.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
1.Barba
2.Hoffman
3.Reed
4.Oates
5.Kahu/JYY
6.Strasser/Milford/Kahu/Taylor
7.Hunt
8.McGuire
9.Macca
10.Hannant
11.Thaiday
12.Gillett
13.Parker (C)

14.Granville
15.Glenn (VC)
16.Kennedy
17.Stagg
18.Dodds

Chuck in Tasi, Hala, Wallace, Dodds who could all potentially make that bench.

Copley & Drew in the backs. JYY said he will be ready to play.

Five Eighth could be anyones.

The make up of the forwards has so many different options. I think Stagg's experience and defence would be hard to overlook. I'm really open to who starts/comes off the bench but I can't see them dropping Thaiday back even though he probably deserves it.

A lot will be decided based on trials/preseason training. I know my team will change multiple times.

Bronco18

Juniors
1. Barba
2. Copley
3. Reed
4. Hoffman then Hodges
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Gillette
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. Oates
16. Kennedy
17. Tasi/Hala/Dodds

Some big calls for Griffin. Benching Glenn, the VC, is one of them, but I feel Gillette really started coming into his own in the back end of the season as a starting back rower. This'd also mean McCullough would have to play 80mins - in the event of an injury Glenn can fill in at hooker, he's done it before. If Macca's fitness holds up, I feel this'd be the best option for us - we'd have an ideal mix of speed around the ruck in Barba, Milford + Glenn and size. These two are some things we've been really lacking - while Hannant and McGuire work hard, we lack the real size and I feel Kennedy fits into the large, tall prop mould. If Oates can put in a big offseason with the weights (possibly spending some time in the QCup playing forwards), he could be dynamite coming off the bench. I feel it's a matter of time him getting found out playing on the wing and in the long term it'd be detrimental to his development playing him out of position (remember Hunt anybody?).

The spine is a real conundrum. Tallis summed up my worries when saying while Hunt's form has been promising, it seems Prince has been the principle organiser of the attack. Who's going to step up and steer the team around? Hunt might need to adjust his game slightly, because that would be unfair and countrerproductive to pressure Milford into a primarily organising role. Too many times this year we've seemed to lack direction in attack and with losing such experience it could be a worry.

If we don't get Milford, depth is a concern. Barba is probably wasted at 5/8 but might be the best option unless other candidates step up.

For me, Hoffman is just wasted on the wing with his form. He'd make a terrific centre and could be a good long term replacement for Hodges - he hits hard, is elusive etc. Hopefully Copley can make a return to the form he was showing before his injury.

All in all though, plenty to be excited about for next year. Can't wait for 2014.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
1.Barba
2.Hoffman
3.Reed
4.Oates
5.Kahu/JYY
6.Strasser/Milford/Kahu/Taylor
7.Hunt
8.McGuire
9.Macca
10.Hannant
11.Thaiday
12.Gillett
13.Parker (C)

14.Granville
15.Glenn
16.Kennedy
17.Stagg
18.Dodds

Some big question marks over that five eight position. This will probably be the most interesting off season in the clubs history.

Who will claim the coveted Broncos number 6, and will the club pull a Henjak on Griffin? My personal answers to those questions are Milford and yes.

Bretto

Bench
So I've changed my team already...

1. Barba
2. Copley
3. Reed
4. Hoffman
5. Yow Yeh / Kahu
6. Milford / Strasser / Whoever impresses in pre-season
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. Kennedy
16. Stagg
17. Dodds / Tasi / Hala

I feel kinda like I'm stealing someone elses team now, but having Hoffman in the Centres is probably the best move. He's a great Winger and I've posted about how Wing is his best spot before, but watching some Redcliffe Dolphins highlights of him playing left Centre was pretty impressive and it serves a few purposes, like suring up our right edge defence.

I think Bronco18 makes a good point too in that Glenn could easily play a backup Hooker type role if Macca needs a breather, but I think Macca will start to play 80 minutes, or very close to it, next season.

Bit of a change of heart with moving Barba back to Fullback, too. My previous points still stand, but Milford is probably a more powerful runner of the ball and more likely to break the line with Barba being the more experienced Fullback, which brings with it better positioning etc.

Last edited:

DeeJ

Bench
My team is gonna be most similar to anyone else's but just some points:

Barba must be fullback, no question about it. His support play and kick returns are great assets that the team currently lacks.

I don't feel it's necessary for McCullough to play 80min. It was pointed out before that most teams have an interchange hooker on the bench and we have all seen the difference when Macca plays uptempo (like he did after the change was made) and slower. Why tire him out by playing 80? Additionally if we have speed coming off the bench like Granville it will prove a big asset.

Gillett has earned his starting position over Glenn now. Glenn is a good option off the bench for his ability to cover most postions, also I think he can work up the middle better than Gillett.

Parker should be captain instead of Thaiday, but I very much doubt we will see a change since it would be too humiliating for him.

Coz87

Juniors
I don't see us making the 8 next year unless we sign another prop, half and a back our depth in not the best when u think about it. Prince should be playing next year because our goal kicking will be a joke again. Parker to captain

Dazzat

First Grade
Mmm ... Parker can be one of the best goal kickers in the league.

I think we'll have to wait until after the grand final to find out about Milford coming to the club.

As far as props go, I think we're fairly well served when you consider: Hannant, McGuire, Kennedy, Hala (hopefully he'll manage at least half a season), Tasi, Wallace and Dodds.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I think Dodds was really starting to prove himself before he got injured. He has always been a great defender, but he was starting to improve on his hit ups. Where has he been the last few weeks/month?

Tera

Juniors
I think Dodds was really starting to prove himself before he got injured. He has always been a great defender, but he was starting to improve on his hit ups. Where has he been the last few weeks/month?

Pretty sure he was injured which is a shame as I agree with you, he was starting to look good.