What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Canadian team for League 1

When they punt the under 20s I reckon there'll be plenty of tier 2 and 3 players floating around who would love a career in US/Canada. Better than getting a job and playing for pocket money in the bush or provincial comps. It might even keep more players in the sport who would otherwise give up.

Apart from anything else, we need a new team in League 1 to give the best locals somewhere to play that's better than the amateur leagues, to attract players from other sports and bridge the gap to the Championship (or wherever the Wolfpack will be). If Americans and Canadians with little experience have to meet Wolfpack standards to make their way in the game we'll hardly see any make it.

Pommy

Coach
When they punt the under 20s I reckon there'll be plenty of tier 2 and 3 players floating around who would love a career in US/Canada. Better than getting a job and playing for pocket money in the bush or provincial comps. It might even keep more players in the sport who would otherwise give up.

Apart from anything else, we need a new team in League 1 to give the best locals somewhere to play that's better than the amateur leagues, to attract players from other sports and bridge the gap to the Championship (or wherever the Wolfpack will be). If Americans and Canadians with little experience have to meet Wolfpack standards to make their way in the game we'll hardly see any make it.

I can't imagine this second Canadian team will want to hang around league 1 for long if they are shelling out travel expenses.

Stallion

First Grade
I can't imagine this second Canadian team will want to hang around league 1 for long if they are shelling out travel expenses.

The under 20s will be state based competitions in Qld & NSW. But yes the attraction of footy in CANADA and the US would be a very handy option for Aussie players.

I can if it provides Perez and the other owners with a feeder team to the Wolfpack. But of course they will also aim for promotion, just as the Wolfpack will want to be in SL ASAP. That doesn't mean they can't still have teams at multiple levels to provide a logical pathway. Maybe they'll have a team in SL, Championship and League 1 in a few years.

Pommy

Coach
I can if it provides Perez and the other owners with a feeder team to the Wolfpack. But of course they will also aim for promotion, just as the Wolfpack will want to be in SL ASAP. That doesn't mean they can't still have teams at multiple levels to provide a logical pathway. Maybe they'll have a team in SL, Championship and League 1 in a few years.

I can only assume they are planning on a rapid promotion for all teams.
I can't believe such a minority sport would be financially viable in the lower divisions even if they are using them as a feeder team. As soon as it becomes aparant a club is a just a training ground for the Wolfpack fans are going to be turned off.

I can only assume they are planning on a rapid promotion for all teams.
I can't believe such a minority sport would be financially viable in the lower divisions even if they are using them as a feeder team. As soon as it becomes aparant a club is a just a training ground for the Wolfpack fans are going to be turned off.
Every lower division club in every comp is a training ground for higher level comps. That's the nature of sport. And if anyone is going to be bothered about that situation in RL it won't be new fans in a new country, as proven by the fact the Wolfpack have just played in division 3 against clubs that can't muster 500 crowds and they've averaged 7000.

Pommy

Coach
Every lower division club in every comp is a training ground for higher level comps. That's the nature of sport. And if anyone is going to be bothered about that situation in RL it won't be new fans in a new country, as proven by the fact the Wolfpack have just played in division 3 against clubs that can't muster 500 crowds and they've averaged 7000.

On the premise of a very rapid assent to the top they have had those crowds.

Just seen this on Facebook

Wolfpack cynics recall days rugby's great split

History often repeats itself, sometimes in surprising ways.

The current reaction to Toronto’s rise by certain sections of the rugby league fanbase in many ways recalls the days of rugby’s Great Split, back in the 1890s.

Professor Tony Collins, in his excellent book 'Rugby's Great Split: Class, Culture and the Origins of Rugby League Football', outlined many of the reasons for the Northern Union, which later became the Rugby Football League, splitting from the Rugby Football Union.

While money was one of a tapestry of issues which drove the situation, there was also resentment.

Resentment from southern toffs that northern working men were playing ‘their’ game better than them, and fear that the northern administrators were taking control of the game away from the privately educated, upper class types who had controlled the game previously.

The split was, in large part, a result of one section of the game fearing that it was having something that belonged to it exclusively stripped away.

So petty jealousy led to a split which prevented rugby as one game from taking on soccer, which was on the rise on the late 19th century, but a long way from being the dominant code it would later become.

There is similarly petty jealousy directed at the Toronto Wolfpack project, by a coterie of diehards who cannot bear to see ‘their’ game being enjoyed across the Atlantic.

There is the same anger at someone else coming in and ‘taking away’ something of the game they love.

The spurious arguments about amateurism which the southern establishment used to beat the northern insurgents in 1895 are replaced here by sneers about a lack of Canadian players, or a paucity of travelling fans.

Those things will come with time. Crowds of almost 8000 every week indicate rich soil in which the game can grow.

The game has reached a point in Europe where it needs to adapt or die.

New money is needed, and the player pool needs expanding massively.

North American influence can provide both of those things, as well as, crucially, sports administration expertise.

It can provide a tide on which the whole game can rise.

A positive attitude that believes it can achieve things doesn’t hamper the project either.

The rugby union diehards who forced the split back in 1895 ended up hurting their own game for the sake of retaining control of it.

The split allowed soccer to become king, not a unified rugby code.

It would be a shame if diehards desperate to retain control stymied another chance for growth 122 years later.

Follow the writer: Zack Wilson
Source: Everything Rugby League

Well I assume all of their fans would know what level they are at, otherwise they’re not really fans.
Why? Why would the bulk of the 8000 people, many of whom are locals with no RL background, who showed up on the weekend know the ins and outs of the rfl structure? Don't assume. The one thing poms keep doing with the Wolfpack is assuming stupid things based on what happens in England and the Wolfpack continue to show that is totally irrelevant. Fortunately. If they did things like the English clubs they wouldn't have any fans.

Pommy

Coach
Why? Why would the bulk of the 8000 people, many of whom are locals with no RL background, who showed up on the weekend know the ins and outs of the rfl structure? Don't assume. The one thing poms keep doing with the Wolfpack is assuming stupid things based on what happens in England and the Wolfpack continue to show that is totally irrelevant. Fortunately. If they did things like the English clubs they wouldn't have any fans.

Then they're not fans they're people that showed up at the weekend, bash poms all you want but Canadian teams need to join the SL asap they will not be financially viable in the lower leagues.

Then they're not fans they're people that showed up at the weekend, bash poms all you want but Canadian teams need to join the SL asap they will not be financially viable in the lower leagues.
A lot of definitive statements. Not much evidence. Most clubs aren't terribly viable in any league. We have SL clubs that can't crack 4000, never mind 8000. And we have SL clubs who couldn't get a local bus company sponsoring them never mind an international airline. I guess the Pom logic is that those tiny crowds are all fans so that's better than twice as many paying customers attending for the first or second or third time. Whatever the case I'm pretty sure Perez and Argyle know a bit more about what they're doing than nuffies making grand statements on the interweb.

Pommy

Coach
A lot of definitive statements. Not much evidence. Most clubs aren't terribly viable in any league. We have SL clubs that can't crack 4000, never mind 8000. And we have SL clubs who couldn't get a local bus company sponsoring them never mind an international airline. I guess the Pom logic is that those tiny crowds are all fans so that's better than twice as many paying customers attending for the first or second or third time. Whatever the case I'm pretty sure Perez and Argyle know a bit more about what they're doing than nuffies making grand statements on the interweb.

And everything I have heard from Perez is that Toronto are pushing for the SL asap.

I don't think you need evidence to understand a Championship or League 1 side is not going to be able to sustain paying for flights long term, 8000 fans or not. Toronto got an airline to the cover the cost for the short term who covers the cost next time? Presumably that airline are hoping to get some serious coverage once Toronto win promotion to the SL.

To be honest I don't even see what your issue is, I'm not complaining about Canadian teams at all, as long as they cover the costs incurred by the English clubs (below SL) I have no issue at all and welcome them and the expansion they bring.

You're the one saying they can't possibly be viable. Despite not having a clue. If you're just guessing you can't possibly make definite statements. Simple as that. Toronto are pushing for SL because that's the highest level. To suggest that can't be viable if they aren't playing there is just speculation. To present it as fact is dishonesty.

Pommy

Coach
You're the one saying they can't possibly be viable. Despite not having a clue. If you're just guessing you can't possibly make definite statements. Simple as that. Toronto are pushing for SL because that's the highest level. To suggest that can't be viable if they aren't playing there is just speculation. To present it as fact is dishonesty.

I can't prove god doesn't exist but I know its a total fact that he doesn't.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The admin need to know the difference between levels, but why would the fans need to??

Ever consider that maybe these 8k are Gridiron or Rugby fans who have discovered a new, fast-paced version of their old sport and are just keen to turn up and watch their local team?

Ever consider that maybe they just heard a friend talk about this weird new sport that they should go check out?

Typical insular RL wanker. "If you dont have a Phd in RL history, you dont deserve to watch the game"....

Pommy

Coach
The admin need to know the difference between levels, but why would the fans need to??

Ever consider that maybe these 8k are Gridiron or Rugby fans who have discovered a new, fast-paced version of their old sport and are just keen to turn up and watch their local team?

Ever consider that maybe they just heard a friend talk about this weird new sport that they should go check out?

Typical insular RL wanker. "If you dont have a Phd in RL history, you dont deserve to watch the game"....

Someone who just goes once isn't a fan. I'm saying theres a difference between being a fan and a tourist, its hardly much to expect a fan to know what league the club sits in.
My mrs claims to be a Doggies fan yet didn't know who James Graham was when we met him, she's not really a fan.

So ok seen as I'm just some internet nuffie explain how a championship side is going to pay for the travel expenses of the english sides long term?
Maybe the same way they are paying for it now. Maybe the same way English clubs pay the bills despite having no fans. Whatever it is, you have no idea whether they can or can't and any speculation on the topic is spurious.