What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

selection headache!

Suitman

Post Whore
eelusive said:
Macca_ said:
yeah im with jake.. tahu has done nothing for parra imo, ben smith takes his spot and scores a try straight away from a long return to 1st grade.. seems as tahu takes 10 yrs to score
tahu should be dropped to premier league until he has proven himself what he really is mad of

You are joking right?

Thats one of the first games we have really put it together and actually looked really dangerous. Who is to say that Tahu would not have scored a try or 2 today the way we played?

Fair dink, have you seen Tahu's try scoring record in the NRL? He has to be back in that side when fit.

If Ben Smith stays in first grade it will be at centre with Tahu. Wagon back to lock. Its simple as that.

Macca_
yeah fair enough but its very frustrating too see who has so much potential not involved as much. i expected alot from tahu when we signed him.. lets hope when he's back he can show us what he is made of

Macca said it all.

Tahu would have carved today with the amount of space our backs were given by the platform the forwards laid.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
Can Ben Smith play right centre?....I'd like to see both him and Tahu in the centres and Waggy at lock.

Macca_

Coach
eelusive said:
yeah fair enough but its very frustrating too see who has so much potential not involved as much. i expected alot from tahu when we signed him.. lets hope when he's back he can show us what he is made of

Yeah mate I hear what your saying, but it hasn't been a case of him not getting involved, its been a case of the ball not going out to the backs. Until yesterday that is.

Macca_

Berta

Juniors
Fair dink, have you seen Tahu's try scoring record in the NRL? He has to be back in that side when fit.

Tahu is an amazingly potent attacking weapon he will click and we have to give him the chance to do so.
all those tries he scored sure as hell were not due to Gidleys poofy little flick pass :p
Also IMO we have to keep Burt in the starting side when we are down and getting beaten there are a lot of big names that put thier heads down and want to hide. Not Burt he will keep up the effort week in and week out never giving up he needs our loyalty as just rewards for his club spirit.

Hurriflatch

Referee
But who do you drop

none of the players that played yesterday really deserve to be dropped, but you need to fit Grothe and Tahu in there.

Macca_

Coach
Good problem to have Hurri. Rather that then worrying who to bring up.

We'll find out tomorrow which way Smithy goes. Would like to see Ben Smith stay in. Would mean as mentioned, Tahu back in and Wags to lock. Hard to see Fui dropped after that performance. Good depth in the pack though.

Macca_

fish eel

Immortal
i expected alot from tahu when we signed him.. lets hope when he's back he can show us what he is made of

And if he played in a game that we dominated like the weekend, we would.

Tahu has been solid as a rock, and with very little opportunities to show what he can do. He'd be the last person I'd leave out of the side.

Parraren

Bench
Yeah some harsh and unjustified (IMO) criticism of Tahu i think. He's been performing very well so far with very poor service.

It's going to be very hard to drop any of the boys who played in that win yesterday but given Hindy will be on Origin duty there will be an extra spot in first grade up for grabs.

I think we'll need Wagon's defense at lock to cover for the loss of Hindy with Benny Smith to be rewarded with another start in the centres for a sensational performance in both attack and defense. If i'm picking the side Tahu comes straight back into the centres if fit. Grothe is another automatic selection (I don't think he'll make SOO) as are Riddell & Stringer who were all excellent in the City Country clash.

1. McKinnon
2. Grothe
3. Tahu
4. B Smith
5. Burt/Petersen
6. Morris
7. T Smith
8. Cayless
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Robinson (cover for Hindy on SOO duty)
12. Morrison
13. Wagon

14. Marsh
15. Widders
16. Peek/Vella
17. Moi Moi

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I can't believe that no one thinks we need to keep O'Dwyer in the top 17. He is in great form ATM.

I think what Smith will do is pick his game plan then pick the players to suit from the 20-25 players that we have playing good footy.

Macca_

Coach
A lot can change too in 2 weeks. We have the bye this weekend (which escaped my mind in earlier post :lol: ) then take on Manly.

Touch wood we have no injuries in the lead up to the game.

Macca_

O'Dwyer did play very well yesterday however we just can't fit everyone in.

I honestly think that Brian Smith will pick this side:

1. McKinnon (if fit)
2. Burt
3. B.Smith
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Morris
7. Smith
8. Cayless
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Robinson
12. Morrison
13. Wagon

14. Marsh
15. Widders
16. Vella
17. Moi Moi

meaning Peterson (very unlucky), O'Dwyer and Peek will be the unlucky ones to miss out.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Will be interesting to see which sides get picked for PL and JF...

Smith might use PL to sort out a couple of these selection headaches.

Pazza

First Grade
1.Mckinnon
2.Petersen
3.Wagon
4.Tahu
5.Grothe
6.Morris
7.Smith
8.Cayless
9.Riddell
10.Stringer
11.Robinson
12.Morrison
13.Widders

14.Marsh
15.Vella
16.Peek
17.Moimoi

Hurriflatch

Referee
Whoever drops out if it be the likes of Ben Smith, Matt Petersen, Luke O'Dwyer or Fuifui Moimoi who filled in yeseterday

or the rep stars who pulled out like Tahu, Grothe, Riddell and Stringer

They will be very unlucky to miss out.

Seeing what sort of reggies team gets named this week may help solve a few problems but I doubt it.

Hindmarsh being off with NSW opens up one more spot and if Tahu isn't right there's another problem fixed but I wouldn't want to be Brian Smith come Tuesday week when he names the team for the Manly clash.

i would wat a great position to be in, just shows how eager the younger guys are.
Brian hasnt had this problem since 2001 and believe u me, he is one happy coach. Good luck to him, and who ever he picks will hopefully not let him down. They will have my full support.

As for the fools having a go at tahu, get ur heads out of the sand as he is an excellent player, which has had limited amount of attacking raids, you honestly think he wouldnt have done an equal job if not better if he was fit to play, if u think not give urself an uppercut.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
parraitdoesmatta said:
i would wat a great position to be in, just shows how eager the younger guys are.
Brian hasnt had this problem since 2001 and believe u me, he is one happy coach. Good luck to him, and who ever he picks will hopefully not let him down. They will have my full support.

As for the fools having a go at tahu, get ur heads out of the sand as he is an excellent player, which has had limited amount of attacking raids, you honestly think he wouldnt have done an equal job if not better if he was fit to play, if u think not give urself an uppercut.

I think this might see the re emergence of the famous Brian Smith late player switches.

oldmancraigy

Coach
The squad I would name for the Manly game:

1. Wade McKinnon
2. Matt Peterson
3. Ben Smith
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe
6. John Morris
7. Tim Smith
8. Nathan Cayless (c)
9. Mark Riddell
10. Paul Stringer
11. Chad Robinson
12. Glenn Morrison
13. Daniel Wagon

14. PJ Marsh
15. Dean Widders
16. Michael Vella
17. Fui Fui Moi Moi
18. Adam Peek (unlucky...)

I'm almost CERTAIN that Ben Smith played on the right side for us in that game against Melbourne last year? I seem to recall him making a nice run and then another nice run which ended in him being pushed over the touchline - I'm sure it was the right line.

If he's comfortable there, then he gets the spot. Wagon and Robinson both get told that one of them goes bye bye when Hindy is back!!

Berta

Juniors
Isn't this an awesome turn up for the books :D
The last 3-4 years we have struggled to get a fit 17 on the paddock with our horrendous run of injuries and now we have selection dilemmas.
I know what situation I like the best 8)

Latest posts