What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi's what the?

woodyk2

First Grade
Just read that if we play any Sydney team we play at either ANZ or SFS. Thats not a ''home'' semi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the fugg? This is bullshite of the highest order.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Fair enough, it's all Sydney clubs, not just us.
The club and most others have known about this all year, bit late to be kicking up a stink now.

woodyk2

First Grade
Well i didnt ...thats why i asked. If the situation was reversed...points standing wise....would the dragons get a home semi at the gong or Anz etc?

RedVDave

First Grade
Have to agree it's a shocking decision I hope they can it ASAP, the home ground advantage is huge I mean you blokes are what 10-0 at Brooky this year?

A perfect example as to why it's so bad is last years semi Wests vs Roosters had the Tig's opted to have played that at Campbelltown or Leicheart they would have most probably won, instead they chose to play their game at the Roosters home ground to accomodate a few bandwagoner's.

woodyk2

First Grade
Have to agree it's a shocking decision I hope they can it ASAP, the home ground advantage is huge I mean you blokes are what 10-0 at Brooky this year?

A perfect example as to why it's so bad is last years semi Wests vs Roosters had the Tig's opted to have played that at Campbelltown or Leicheart they would have most probably won, instead they chose to play their game at the Roosters home ground to accomodate a few bandwagoner's.
Indeed Dave...a home semi is a home semi ! All semis should then be played at SFS,ANZ etc....broncos,warriors ....whoever etc.This is just rubbish.:?

RedVDave

First Grade
Indeed Dave...a home semi is a home semi ! All semis should then be played at SFS,ANZ etc....broncos,warriors ....whoever etc.This is just rubbish.:?

Fair call, it lacks common sense for so many reasons like I said hopefully they give this system the punt soon.

shiznit

Coach
not at all....

it comes down to getting the most people into the ground as possible. if youve got 2 sydney teams playing against each other it makes no sense at all to play it in a stadium where only 20,000 fans from one club will get in when they could potentially have 40 to 50,000 fans from both teams to watch the same game.

sure its not fair for the syndey team who earnt home advantage... but sydney clubs also have a major advantage during the year that of the 15 clubs that they play against... they only have to travel overnight to play 5 of them.

where as a side like Melbourne, The Warriors, Canberra, Brisbane, The Cowboys etc... have to travel for every away game.

so it all evens itself out in the end.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
not at all....

it comes down to getting the most people into the ground as possible. if youve got 2 sydney teams playing against each other it makes no sense at all to play it in a stadium where only 20,000 fans from one club will get in when they could potentially have 40 to 50,000 fans from both teams to watch the same game.

sure its not fair for the syndey team who earnt home advantage... but sydney clubs also have a major advantage during the year that of the 15 clubs that they play against... they only have to travel overnight to play 5 of them.

where as a side like Melbourne, The Warriors, Canberra, Brisbane, The Cowboys etc... have to travel for every away game.

so it all evens itself out in the end.

Can't agree with that logic I'm afraid.

While I see the merit in playing the game at a larger venue the comparison to out of Sydney teams having to travel for all away games is a stretch.

If Manly or the Dragons get a home semi but then have to play the Roosters, Tigers, Bulldogs or Souths at the Football Stadium or ANZ then they are playing them on one of their home grounds.

Hardly a just reward for finishing top 4. Fair enough the top 2 teams get a second bite at the cherry but 3rd or 4th could present problems. And every team is striving for that added advantage. I know where I'd rather play Manly if I was the team that comes 7th.....

But it is a difficult situation and all clubs agreed to the idea so no point worrying about it now.

jbl31649

Juniors
They talked about this on one of the footy shows. It was said that every coach and ceo agreed on this. For me, as much as it is an advantage with home support, ANZ is an alright alternative, because thats where the GF is played. Better than the SFS.

If we can get all grounds to fit 25-30k then home semi's would be great. But I believe this came about because dragons members missed out on a seat in the finals last.

I would be mad if I had payed for a membership only to find out I can't go to a semi-final.

Everway where good enough to play anywhere, its just a matter of who we play!

Raiderdave

First Grade
so we want to go back to fenced off cow paddocks with no protection from the weather standing on grass

& play a final in front of 15K people like last year do we ?:sarcasm:

please

the best decision the NRL has ever made

finals in the best available venues in sydney ... should have been doing this from the start.
simple as that ;-)

Last edited: