What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sentimental Sandow plans for long Souths goodbye

Brent Read From: The Australian September 01, 2011 12:00AM
South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow sharpens his goal-kicking skills at Redfern Oval yesterday Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

CHRIS Sandow will miss the banter in the dressing room. He will miss his "big brother" John Sutton.

He thinks South Sydney owner Russell Crowe will miss him. But Friday night is not about who will miss whom next season. It's about this season and making sure the Rabbitohs don't miss their last chance to clinch a place in the top eight.

As he comes to the end of his career at the Rabbitohs -- he will join Parramatta next season on a lucrative multi-year deal -- Sandow is intent on exiting the club having played in the finals.

To do that, he and his teammates must find a way past Newcastle at Ausgrid Stadium.

It shapes as a winner-takes-all contest. The victor will play finals football, most likely against Melbourne at AAMI Park. The loser will begin planning Mad Monday.

"It's going to be emotional on Friday night," Sandow said yesterday. "Hopefully it's not my last. I am going to give it 100 per cent like the rest of the boys. I am feeling confident and so are the boys. We just have to hold the ball and play our own game and we can do really well against the Knights."

The Knights have lost their past three games, but a single win would almost certainly have booked them a place in the finals at South Sydney's expense.

Yet they shape as a difficult proposition given the final home game of the season is celebrated as old boy's day by Newcastle. Former players form a guard of honour for the current team. Their presence whips the crowd and the players into a frenzy. Add to that the absence of Souths strike weapon Greg Inglis and it leaves the Rabbitohs facing an uphill task. On the plus side, their form in recent weeks, last weekend's loss to Brisbane excluded, has been exhilarating.

"We have more strike weapons than those guys," Sandow said. "We just have to hold the ball and get out with a win."

As for Inglis's absence, Sandow said: "We have been winning games without GI there too."

Sandow has even allowed himself the luxury of looking beyond Friday night and the potential match-up with the Storm in round one of the finals.

"We're going to be really confident going into Friday night's game, hopefully win and go down to Melbourne and give it to those guys," Sandow said. "We don't really care who we play. We have to go out there and play South Sydney's game, do it for each other and I am sure we will win every game we play."

In Sandow's favour is the return of Sutton, who missed the loss to the Broncos with a broken hand. Prolific fullback Nathan Merritt also was absent and his comeback gives the side a potent try-scorer. "It's going to be good to have big Sutts back and the Shark -- Nathan Merritt -- swooping around in the middle looking to sniff out tries," Sandow said.

"I can't wait to play with them this week. I was running around like a headless chook against the Broncos trying to do everything.

"Sutts has been good for me since I started here at Souths. He is like a big brother. He has been really good for my football and helped me out."

Which makes Sandow's impending departure all the more difficult to take. Asked what he would miss about Souths, he said: "Just the boys. It's a funny bunch of blokes here. I really enjoy the boys' company. I see them every day and sometimes they get under my skin, but I get under their skin most of the time.

"It breaks my heart in the sheds every time we do lose, with the boys' heads down. That breaks me in pieces when that happens. That's why I try my best each and every week."

http://www.theAustralian.com.au/news...-1226126808237

merrit man

Juniors
gee we are going to miss this bloke. he may not be the worlds greatest organiser but he puts in more effort then most of our guys every week. if everyone had the same attitude as this bloke we would be a premiership contender. miss you chrissy! you are a born entertainer , all the best

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
if i was rusty, i would have prioritised sandow signing over sutton..

but then again, if i was rusty, the first thing i would do is burn my guitar & announce my retirement from being a musician..

Ike E Bear

Juniors
From what I understand, Sutton, Merritt and Sandow were all offered contracts at the same time. The first two signed and the latter waited a little while and snagged a great offer from the Eels. The Bunnies adjusted their offer to try and compete, but the Eels moved outside the Bunnies' price range (restricted by the salary cap).

I don't think Sutton and Merritt were prioritised OVER Sandow, but I think Richardson potentially made a mistake in not prioritising the halfback.

What's done is done, though.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
"I can't wait to play with them this week. I was running around like a headless chook against the Broncos trying to do everything.

"Sutts has been good for me since I started here at Souths. He is like a big brother. He has been really good for my football and helped me out."
This is exactly why I think he'll take a while to settle and excel at Eels. Their fans already expect that he'll be able to organise and fix their directional problems for a top 4 spot next year. But who will play inside him? Roberts is not the answer. I think the reason for a lot of Sandows success was because Sutton was a perfect fit for him and he loved his footy here.

Not saying he won't go well cause he's a great player. But he will struggle

Last edited:

Achillies

Juniors
I think the reason for a lot of Sandows success was because Sutton was a perfect fit for him and he loved his footy here.

Coming into this season Sandow wasnt highly rated by the other clubs. Alot of their planning revolved around limiting Lukes impact out of hooker and dealing with our left edge of Sutton,Taylor and Inglis. Sandow didnt have much pressure on him because the other sides were focusing elsewhere. His surge in form has seen him attract more attention from opposition defences which has seen both Sutton and Luke get more time and space. Sandow will be the main man at Parra and he wont have the quality of Luke inside him or Sutton outside him. When sides sit down and plan for games against Parra all the attention will be on Sandow. He will also be expected to provide chances for Hayne. It will be interesting to see how he handles it all.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Coming into this season Sandow wasnt highly rated by the other clubs. Alot of their planning revolved around limiting Lukes impact out of hooker and dealing with our left edge of Sutton,Taylor and Inglis. Sandow didnt have much pressure on him because the other sides were focusing elsewhere. His surge in form has seen him attract more attention from opposition defences which has seen both Sutton and Luke get more time and space. Sandow will be the main man at Parra and he wont have the quality of Luke inside him or Sutton outside him. When sides sit down and plan for games against Parra all the attention will be on Sandow. He will also be expected to provide chances for Hayne. It will be interesting to see how he handles it all.

Do parra have a steady hooker for next year? I'm sure Sandow will come up with some amazing plays and great goal kicking but I don't think he will truly settle until at least 2013. How long did they sign him for? 4 years was it? I wonder if it's something like 2-3 years with the extra years in their favor. It just seems like so much money for someone who at the time, had only strung 3 good games together.

Latest posts