What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

September Matches - Losing Mentality - Clutch Matches

its in the club.
we all know this.

Cronullafication.

you can change that with money. weve never had it. but if we throw enough at it ala crowe or Manchester city we can get there

in terms of this team, the limitations in the halves and backline and tactically meant we needed a certain set of circumstances to go all the way. that didn't happen.

Flanno now has a job to do.
to go the next level. hasn't passed semis week 2. how high is the ceiling there?

he will be helped, by the fact that we have for the first time since I dunno. Gow? have a competent administration.
So provided, that we don't get involved with some kind of doping or human trafficking scandal...we should be able to build. we fell in a heap in 09. we fell in a heap in 14. both due to external non playing factors.

Memberships are good.
Sponsor money is there
we won two lower grade premierships. we made the semis in the league and the final of the nines.

the true test will be building next year, not throwing it away as we have in the past.

we have bought a completely new ste of halves for next season.
we have good young talent and some hard old heads.

I am hopeful.

but to not aknowledge there is a problem with bottling it when it matters is foolish

Ads

First Grade
wasn't talking about your imaginary player
was talking about your silly post

Certainly not imaginary and certainly not a silly post. This player literally stated our fans are so nice they dont expect anything. A big change from previous clubs.

millersnose

Post Whore
yeah and I am calling bullshyte

there is no logical reason a plyer would pop such stupidity out

it is clearly your invention of an argument to support yuour weird 'its the fans fault' views that suspends all reality and turns Cronulla supporters into a unique species

even a two minute flick through LU will demonstrate fans from every club share the same aspirations and desires for their teams and are disappointed at a lack of a premiership at the emd of each year

it is clearly your invention of an argument to support yuour weird 'its the fans fault' views that suspends all reality and turns Cronulla supporters into a unique species

even a two minute flick through LU will demonstrate fans from every club share the same aspirations and desires for their teams and are disappointed at a lack of a premiership at the emd of each year

I have heard players and former administrators say exactly the same thing.

I will name the player. Lance Thompson. He told me that Sharks fans were way less demanding than St George fans.

well, less demanding or not we want our team to win. we always have. do you think GKD or Willow or whatever wants it more than you or I?
no f**king way.

but weve never won, so we don't know what that means to win. so in that case we cant come from the same place as a dragons fan.

theres an expectation of success.

us sharks.

we are expecting em to shit the bed. and they did. so. the circle of life.

but its not my job to catch the ball and score. its my job to buy a membership and support the team.

and look at these days 2015 with twitter n that. you bitch about the performance the players say stuff like "arent real fans"

anyway.

its our job to cheer and buy and boo and support

its the players job to f**kn turn up in the semis. They didn't do that and if the admin and the coach are serious then that should be drilled into players that it wasn't f**kn acceptable.

Last edited:

Ads

First Grade

I dont care if you believe me or not. It was said. Its not far fetched to believe sharks fans are soft and dont expect anything.

webShark

I dont care if you believe me or not. It was said. Its not far fetched to believe sharks fans are soft and dont expect anything.

Not far fetched at all. Many fit the stereotype.

Factors other than how we are playing affect the attendance. Best one I heard was the ground announcer thanking fans for turning up on such a nice day.

Big thing made of the turnout at the Souths game. Well I went despite having Fox. It was less than 4K and we printed T Shirts! Got my T Shirt but hardly describe us as passionate. Forum members are passionate but I see plenty posting about why they can't go., even to Finals games.

We are a nice bunch but as someone else posted we haven't got money. Even the lure of living in Cronulla doesn't work. Plenty from other clubs live here. Salary cap works in our favour. The bigger it is, the more the likes of the Roosters and Broncs will pull away.

We need superb recruitment of juniors. Trouble is despite the hype Flanno doesn't like them. Played Bird and Holmes cos we lost games but didn't back them first round.

My perception is that the club has been guilty of being too laid back in the past, especially when we had a few superstars in the ranks like Peachey, ET, Gavin Miller or Steve Rogers or Greg Pierce and there was a collective feeling that we can rely on the super players to get us over the line, rather than a strong collective hard nut work ethic.

I think Flanno developed a good system based on the talent he had available. It might make a good support system that a couple of superstars might turn into a premiership winning combination. our successes on 2012 & 2013 was like that and we had Carney to add the sparkle.

But the capitulation of Saturday night has got me bewildered. Bring in a psychologist.

Craigshark

First Grade
well, less demanding or not we want our team to win. we always have. do you think GKD or Willow or whatever wants it more than you or I?
no f**king way.

but weve never won, so we don't know what that means to win. so in that case we cant come from the same place as a dragons fan.

theres an expectation of success.

us sharks.

we are expecting em to shit the bed. and they did. so. the circle of life.

but its not my job to catch the ball and score. its my job to buy a membership and support the team.

and look at these days 2015 with twitter n that. you bitch about the performance the players say stuff like "arent real fans"

anyway.

its our job to cheer and buy and boo and support

its the players job to f**kn turn up in the semis. They didn't do that and if the admin and the coach are serious then that should be drilled into players that it wasn't f**kn acceptable.

Yep, it should be.. Instead they were out celebrating after the game as if they had won without a care in the world.

Maybe if there were consequences, the results might be different.

Card Shark

Immortal
So provided, that we don't get involved with some kind of doping or human trafficking scandal...we should be able to build. we fell in a heap in 09. we fell in a heap in 14. both due to external non playing factors

My recollection of '08 / '09 is different. Achieved more than most expected in '08, rested on our laurels with an ageing squad & paid the price.

What else happened in '09?

If we think it's all going to happen next year, just because Mahoney is coming, well we will be in for a rude (& painful) shock.

Nothing is guaranteed, just ask the Panthers.

My recollection of '08 / '09 is different. Achieved more than most expected in '08, rested on our laurels with an ageing squad & paid the price.

What else happened in '09?

If we think it's all going to happen next year, just because Mahoney is coming, well we will be in for a rude (& painful) shock.

Nothing is guaranteed, just ask the Panthers.
what else happened.

on or about August 25th 2008, Greg Bird and Katie Milligan had an incident

Birdy never played for us again.

Prior to round one 2009 Fraser Anderson quit the club

Week 2 we made Brett Seymour publicly apologise for getting drunk. He was punted later on.

by about week 8. 4 Corners had the group sex rugby league story. the chaser showed up at the sharks, our sponsors..who were all hanging by a thread bailed.

The club had an 11 million dollar debt and was on the brink of folding.

A few weeks later it was revealed, that our CEO had slapped or punched a woman in the face.

On the Field

Ben Ross Broke his neck. Week one
Brett Kearny also got badly injured early.

The two referees came in and Stuart failed to adapt to the speed.
Our captain called someone a black merkin and got suspended.

won 1 game. lost 9 won 4 lost 10.

by the end of the year we were playing Stapleton, Scott Porter etc. so between

Oh, and one of our key signings Reni Maitua got busted for Clembuterol and had a 2 year ban.

Weaponhead

Coach
what else happened.

on or about August 25th 2008, Greg Bird and Katie Milligan had an incident

Birdy never played for us again.

Prior to round one 2009 Fraser Anderson quit the club

Week 2 we made Brett Seymour publicly apologise for getting drunk. He was punted later on.

by about week 8. 4 Corners had the group sex rugby league story. the chaser showed up at the sharks, our sponsors..who were all hanging by a thread bailed.

The club had an 11 million dollar debt and was on the brink of folding.

A few weeks later it was revealed, that our CEO had slapped or punched a woman in the face.

On the Field

Ben Ross Broke his neck. Week one
Brett Kearny also got badly injured early.

The two referees came in and Stuart failed to adapt to the speed.
Our captain called someone a black merkin and got suspended.

won 1 game. lost 9 won 4 lost 10.

by the end of the year we were playing Stapleton, Scott Porter etc. so between

Oh, and one of our key signings Reni Maitua got busted for Clembuterol and had a 2 year ban.

geez Cardy, that's 3 grand worth of therapy to get that shit repressed again.

RCB - on the money. If (and it's a decent sized if) we can keep the momentum going in the commercial department there should be a platform for optimism (shakes hand above head like a fin)

well that the thing.

take end of 2012. I was so f**king confident we would be on the rise.

Development Approved.

Cronulla lose to Canberra in week one semi. playmaker hurt. but after 09,10,11 a 12-11 and 1 draw record was fun enough for us.

We had Luke Lewis and Michael Gordon on the way.
We signed Beau Ryan, Andrew Fifita and Chris Heighington in the offseason. somehow.
We had Todd Carney and people like me and CB4 and Special K had Todd Boners.

Then. f**king 6three days before week one kickoff.

where the hell did shark energy go? no sponsors again. what? The?
"darkest day in sport"
Horse Drugs from the horses mouth.

Coach banned, comes back. Players under cloud.
f**king Turmoil for 2 years. battled bravely to defeat at the hands of manly. leading into the supersayan clusterf**k of 2014

I don't wanna hear a peep out of the club apart from "hey, wanna be a member"

So we must. MUST keep the momentum going. this year was a good foundation. the end was not good enough and that needs to be expressed to the club. but we need to move on and not shoot ourselves in the dick again

Last edited:

Card Shark

Immortal
geez Cardy, that's 3 grand worth of therapy to get that shit repressed again.

RCB - on the money. If (and it's a decent sized if) we can keep the momentum going in the commercial department there should be a platform for optimism (shakes hand above head like a fin)

Oops, sorry I asked.

Actually it was well put together RCB.

Good lesson - do not drop the guard or we will be well down the ladder.

Ads

First Grade
If (and it's a decent sized if) we can keep the momentum going in the commercial department there should be a platform for optimism (shakes hand above head like a fin)

I have heard a decent rumour about a very big company wanting to sponsor us. Wasn't given names but talks have taken place and they weren't initiated by us. The future off the field is bright. Lets hope on the field matches it.

I for some reason dug up and found the 96 prelim.
Watched it.
Our tactics in the game were abomination.

Bomb
Bomb
Get the ball chip and chase.

Les Davidson put in a chip and chase as did ET.
As did Rogers

Peachey had two howlers.

Manly weren't even good that day.

Anyway I'm off to hang myself