What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seriously ?

Gronk

Staff member
I repeat. Seriously ?

A group of under-13 Shellharbour footballers has been fined $100 - for singing their team's victory song.The Shellharbour Stingrays rugby league club was issued with the fine after the boys sang their team song at the end of a recent match against the Woonona-Bulli Bushrangers.
All team songs, no matter how harmless, are banned by South Coast Junior Rugby League officials to prevent violent incidents between players and parents.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/.../team-song-lands-lads-in-trouble/2648874.aspx

El Eels

Juniors
FFS what's next....??? doing a victory lap after the NRL Grand Final being banned to prevent violent incidents between rival supporters....?????

oldmancraigy

Coach
To be as reasonable as possible to the South Coast Junior Rugby League:

They clearly banned the victory song thing for a reason, and before the season (presumable because it lead to an unsavoury incident). So really the fine is fine!

It's part of the rules, just like a team turning up in mufti uniforms should be fined I suppose?

But on the whole: odd rule!!! I wonder if that's really the way to stop violent incidents....

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
yep it is serious my son plays under 6 in the comp (group seven) and they always sing their team song after each game (the song has no swearing or words directed at the opposition) . About 5 weeks ago our side was warned against singing their team song. I have the memo from the group banning singing of the song.

Love to hear the song that started the 'problem'. Maybe people just don't like Brittney Spears?

I've heard of similar restrictions in the local soccer comp, particularly back in the days of the Balkan wars. Some of the traditional songs went along the lines of 'We're gonna kill all the XXXX(insert ethnic group of choice)'

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
To be as reasonable as possible to the South Coast Junior Rugby League:

They clearly banned the victory song thing for a reason, and before the season (presumable because it lead to an unsavoury incident). So really the fine is fine!

It's part of the rules, just like a team turning up in mufti uniforms should be fined I suppose?

But on the whole: odd rule!!! I wonder if that's really the way to stop violent incidents....

It is a very odd rule - it only allows the singing on the song in the change rooms but not on the field . Which is no good for sides from around under 12-13 down as they don't use change rooms. I have not seen any violence or incidents from the singing of team songs.

Last edited:

guruminga

Juniors
Like Oldmancraig said, it doesn't matter what the rule, if it's a rule then it needs to be followed. Maybe the league needs to come together and come up with better ideas - was it because of the lyrics? or the way the teams were behaving towards the losing teams when singing it?

It seems like a crappy rule, but there may be more than meets the eye. And if parents are just going to
... chip in the $100 each week. ...
so they can sing. Then they are just part of the problem rather than the solution. (Sorry ME).

G

spiderdan

Bench
You will get sin binned for high fiving a fellow team member soon..
wouldn't surprise me. it has already started in america.

i was watching one of those espn 30for30 docos about the university of miami's ncaa gridiron team and they were showing the rules the ncaa put in place banning on field celebrations.

Bigfella

Coach
Yes I thought that was ridiculous when I was reading this on the train this morning. Nearly choked on my cigarette.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if team violence is the problem, then not allowing the team song to be sung is not the answer

the problem needs to be cured at the source

oldmancraigy

Coach
Yes we must obey all rules. How silly of me.

Yeah good point, it's stupid to have rules.

If my kid wants to head high tackle every week I'll take the suspension on his behalf.

#Gowildkids

I guess we might think it's a crap rule (the singing one that is) - but at least everyone knows about it in advance? I assume they either have a reason, or are a bunch of grumpy old turds.

What would grumpy old turds do in this scenario ME???

oldmancraigy

Coach
if team violence is the problem, then not allowing the team song to be sung is not the answer

Exactly!!

Unless the team song is Romper-Stomper inspired, then surely that's not the real problem?!?!?!

Gronk

Staff member

Correct. It all starts with the U6's. Respect for the opposition.

Team songs are about celebrating hard work and not ridiculing those who have lost.

Sounds like they need a clean out of feral parents more than anything.