What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seven to tackle Nine

innsaneink

Referee
Seven set to tackle Nine for TV rights

The Seven network is tipped to mount a serious challenge to Nine for the television rights to rugby league when Nine's contract runs out, pushing the dollar figures involved to record heights.

But Nine's current deal doesn't finish until the end of the 2007 season, which means National Rugby League clubs anxious for more money to help pay the bills will have to wait four more years to feel the benefits.

The only way a deal would be done earlier than that is if Nine and the NRL renegotiate - with an extension of the deal for Nine and an upgrading of the financial terms for the league - ahead of 2007.

There has been talk in league circles that NRL chief executive David Gallop was considering approaching Nine executives about a renegotiation soon, but he said yesterday that speculation was wrong.

TV industry sources have told The Sun-Herald that Seven was keen on making a real run for the rights when Nine's deal ran out and that the Ten network might get involved as well.

Asked if he could confirm that, Gallop said: "The only thing I'm prepared to say on that issue is that I fully expect them [Seven and Ten] to be very interested in it."

Ten's general manager of sport, David White, gave little away when asked if the network was planning to go for the rights.

"We would have a look at anything that was sensibly priced and fitted into our schedule," White said yesterday. "But apart from that I wouldn't like to make any comment."

Nine's current 10-year deal was signed at the end of the Super League war, in 1997. The Australian Rugby League and the breakaway Super League both ran competitions that year, before there was a peace agreement and the NRL was formed.

At the time, Nine already held deals with the ARL and Super League and under those circumstances was in the box seat for negotiations.

The result was that Nine acquired the NRL rights for a bargain-basement figure, believed to be about $16 million annually.

Gallop has been under pressure from the clubs to get more money from the rights for both free-to-air and pay-TV, but because of current contracts his hands are tied.

Asked about speculation he would go to Nine to try to renegotiate a new deal now, Gallop replied: "That isn't in our immediate plans. It's always possible we could go to Nine and talk about it closer to 2007, but that is a long way off at this stage.

"I think the main thing we have to do now is make sure we continue to produce a compelling product for TV so that when the contract does come up for negotiation we are in the strongest position possible . . .

"The game is on a high at the moment and the indications are it will only get better. I believe that when we sign a new TV deal it will be a great one for the game.

"The game had its problems when the last deal was done, but by the time the next deal is signed I reckon it will be absolutely flying. I believe the next deal will be very healthy."

Gallop said the league was working with clubs to try to help them increase their revenues outside of the annual $2.5 million grant extended to each of them by the NRL.

"The clubs are always battling the problem of trying to fill the gap between the grant and the salary cap. The gap is bigger than most people realise, too.

"The $170,000 that goes out of the grant to each club for development means the actual figure they receive is $2.33 million. And while the salary cap is commonly referred to as being $3.25 million, it's more like $3.6 million in real terms after concessions.

"Ideally, we would like to reach the stage where the grant was the same as the salary cap, which is the system the NFL has in the US, and I'm optimistic we will be able to get very close to that on the strength of our next TV deal."
Dont hold your breath!

ibeme

First Grade
I suspected that 7 would be keen, because there sports coverage has been stripped bare after 9 and 10 got the AFL.

They did a good job with AFL when they had it, but I think they'd need to take half of 9's league team in order to provide a decent coverage for league.

Apart from more money for the NRL, the other major benefit with channel 7 having the rights is that they could take the game into the AFL states. At the moment, 9 has the AFL for the southern states, and NRL for the league states. They're winning in both areas and have nothing to gain from taking league into the AFL states. Channel 7 have got nothing, so they've got nothing to lose by taking league to the AFL states.

I just hope they can pick up their act and get better personnel on board, because from what I saw of their union coverage, they've got a lot of work to do to match 9.

jed

First Grade
The price of the AFL was pushed sky-high because Murdoch had a win-at-any-cost attitude, and was anxious to wrestle the rights away from 7, even if it meant subsidising the 9 & 10 joint bids. No-one has benefitted from the current arrangements. Canberra no longer get the Friday night match during prime-time, it now starts after 11pm every week. And viewers in Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra now no longer receive 2 matches on a Sunday afternoon. And southern viewers now face the confusion over which channel to watch.

League viewers in Melbourne lost out - they used to get a match every Sunday at 4pm, almost always the Storm match, replayed from Friday night if need be, but the only league they see these days is after the late news on Friday nights and after the movie on Sundays. At least with 9 now having lost the Formula 1 races, they don't have to wait until 2am some weeks to see their Sunday match.

If 7 were to gain the rights to the NRL, I think they would treat it with the respect that it deserves, and I think they will present the conflict of interest for 9 with the AFL as an argument for the rights to go to them.

The good old days of the ABC holding the rights are gone, and they will never come back. The ABC, not being able to run commercials, will never be able to afford the rights, and even if they did buy them, there is no way that they could re-coop their investment.

Once Dead

Bench
ibeme said:
I suspected that 7 would be keen, because there sports coverage has been stripped bare after 9 and 10 got the AFL.

They did a good job with AFL when they had it, but I think they'd need to take half of 9's league team in order to provide a decent coverage for league.

Apart from more money for the NRL, the other major benefit with channel 7 having the rights is that they could take the game into the AFL states. At the moment, 9 has the AFL for the southern states, and NRL for the league states. They're winning in both areas and have nothing to gain from taking league into the AFL states. Channel 7 have got nothing, so they've got nothing to lose by taking league to the AFL states.

I just hope they can pick up their act and get better personnel on board, because from what I saw of their union coverage, they've got a lot of work to do to match 9.

No they don't.....the league might be in for a bit of a change, new faces, new audience, new days.....Matthew Johns and Joey are the only faces that's be worth keeping and that might be impossible since they're under Ch.9 contract.....and of course Ray Warren....but then again we have that same problem...

Who could take their spots? We can only imagine

Hurriflatch

Referee
Ch.9 still have a final say to match any offer for the rights.

Unless 7 make a HUGE offer 9 will match and we'll be stuck with the same old crap till the extension deal runs out in 2013.

ibeme

First Grade
I think 7 will make a HUGE offer, and 9 will match it - win win for the game. The clincher though, should be coverage in the AFL states.

Hurriflatch

Referee
yeah

guess that could happen

but 9 will still find a way to screw the viewers

eg

Contract says

"At least 2 matches must be shown on a weekend in all states"

so ch.9 programing in Pert, Vic, SA, NT and Tas

Sat 2am
Friday Night Football replay

Mon 12:30am
Sunday Football replay

9 furfills the contract requirements but the fans still don't get decent coverage

jed

First Grade
I have a feeling that the AFL deal was only 5 years, until the end of the 2006 season. If that was the case, supposing 9 kept Friday nights and swapped their Sunday with Saturday on 10 - that would free them up on Sundays to show the NRL on Sundays at a decent time in Vic, WA, SA, Tas & NT. Still doesn't do any better for NSW, ACT & Qld, but at lease it gives the NRL a chance to prosper on a national level.

In-goal

Bench
with the new money more teams are on the cards along with more for development

AFL right stand at $500 million for 5 years both pay tv and FTA

Rugby League rights stand at $400 million pay tv for 5 years and around $16 million for FTA per annum

thats 480 million atleast 20 short of were we could be and should be.

Surandy

Bench
If Roy & HG are still with 7 after 2007 then they could do a post-weekend wrap! I'd love to see that. It would be much more entertaining than the NRL Footy show.

Surandy

In-goal

Bench
If Roy & HG are still with 7 after 2007 then they could do a post-weekend wrap! I'd love to see that. It would be much more entertaining than the NRL Footy show.

Surandy

yes a great idea we could call it Rugby League World so they could give us an insight into our global game as well as the NRL.

gr8_1

Juniors
If Ch 7 get the rights to the NRL I hope they do a better job than they did with the Soccer.

I cant see Packer letting the league go though.

Razor

Coach
Ch.9 still have a final say to match any offer for the rights.

Only if they pay the the fee for last right of refusul. Channel 7 paid the $20mil for the last right of refusual for the AFL, but decided not to match the offer - it's up to 9 if they decide to pay whatever fee the NRL sets.

If Ch 7 get the rights to the NRL I hope they do a better job than they did with the Soccer.

Channel 7 bought the NSL for pay TV, not fta. The coverage was great, and 7 did show a replay each week - but since C7 is no longer around it's not worth it to produce the match for fta only.

Moffo

Referee
But if ch9 lose RL...it means that they are going to show AFL back to back all weekend....that and the fact that they may get RU as well?

Im not saying that im against the move...just tossing up possiblities...do we really want to leave the strongest station in Australia?

I say grab them up by the balls..force them to give us 3-4 games on FTA a week before we agree

Cheers,
Moffo

robbieando

Juniors
Interesting News, however the only way Ch 7 would seriously bid for the rights in the context you guys want (full national coverage etc) is if in 2006 when the AFL rights come up again for bidding Ch 7 don't get the AFL rights back. If they get the AFL back, there is no way Ch 7 will bid for the NRL rights and that would make Ch 9 position far more stronger in bidding for the NRL rights. With the AFL rights Ch 7 have the last right of refusal which means they get to look at the final offer from all other networks bidding, giving them the right to match the offer or offer more. More than likely Ch 7 will bid higher than Ch9/Ch10.

Up shot is the next batch of NRL FTA rights will more than likely be on a channel that doesn't have the AFL, so both codes should get what they want, full coverage nation wide.

jed

First Grade
The current AFL rights are that ch9 has Friday night, ch10 has Saturday arvo and night, and ch9 has Sunday arvo. If the AFL 2007 and onwards FTA rights remain split between the 2 channels, and the NRL rights are given to ch7, ch9 would still not be able to show any AFL on Saturdays.

dimitri

First Grade
with channel 7 offering such a generous NATIONAL DEAL

hopefully the nrl wil be able to force whichever station who gets the rights to play games in emerging states in prime time

this will hopefully lead to the reds and the rams coming back

iggy plop

First Grade
jed said:
The price of the AFL was pushed sky-high because Murdoch had a win-at-any-cost attitude, and was anxious to wrestle the rights away from 7, even if it meant subsidising the 9 & 10 joint bids. No-one has benefitted from the current arrangements. Canberra no longer get the Friday night match during prime-time, it now starts after 11pm every week. And viewers in Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra now no longer receive 2 matches on a Sunday afternoon. And southern viewers now face the confusion over which channel to watch.

Viewers in Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra no longer get 2 games on a Sunday arvo hey?? Poor sods how many bloody games do they want? Southern viewers face the confusion of which channel to watch?? Gee I'm sure rugby league fans would love that problem.

The way I see it, the AFL and it's fans have done well from the 9, 10 deal. The minority AFL fans in Sydney for starters get twice as much of their sport than league on FTA which is totally wrong.

rugby league gets f**k all which of course is a by-product of negotiating a deal during the turbulent Super League era when the game was on its knees. (thanks Rupert).

The NRL must smarten up its act when negotiating the next deal, follow the lead of the victorian game and give the deal to a station that has the game at heart or at least does its best impression of having the game at heart.

Hoggy

Bench
gr8_1 said:

I cant see Packer letting the league go though.

Will Packer still be alive by then?

Latest posts