What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seymour To Warriors

Stonecutter

First Grade
Sad to see Buster go.

But lets go after Hohaia if there is any chance he is not happy! Aiton and Hohaia a good 1-2 punch. His utility value is much greater then John Morris'

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hope he does well.

I understand our position, but really hope he plays well.

Warriors need a 5/8 too.

Since 73

First Grade
Nah, stuff 'hope he goes well.'

Should be made to get a real job.

We gave him a second chance after a boozy history and headbutting sheilas on the dance floor.
Sticky punted Noddy so he could have the 7 spot.

He simply refused to give up writing himself off when rehabilitating from injury.

So now the rehab program, the weights program, the fitness program, the supplements, vitamins and whatever else he has been supplied with is gonna come back and bite us on the arse the next time we play the warriors.

If a club cannot keep a player they want because the dumb f**k keeps breaking contractual obligations and they are forced to cut him free, why should any other mob then be able to put him in a jumper and send him out to do damage against them?

Something fundamentally wrong with the system there.

Lithgow Shamrocks, UK, french Yawnion or Newstart should be the 4 options available.
Not NRL.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Hope he does well.

I understand our position, but really hope he plays well.

Warriors need a 5/8 too.

I've always thought of him as more of a halfback? We sure as hell need one of those, Jones isnt cutting the mustard. Either way Seymour/Johnson as a longterm halves combination sounds appetising.

He will do better away from the Sydney media spotlight hopefully - it's enough to piss off any player.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10586224
Graham Lowe: Let's look to our own kids, not other clubs' rejects
4:00AM Friday Jul 24, 2009
By Graham Lowe

Halfback issues are not the reason the Warriors have failed to deliver.

I fail to see the logic in any interest the Warriors may have in Brett Seymour. Would he win the premiership for them next year - no!

Quite apart from the unfortunate off-field issues that have seen him in trouble at the Broncos and Sharks, the Warriors don't need him.

And what sort of signal does it send to the under-20s players.

It appears the future of Stacey Jones is in the air for next year, but he should never be under-estimated. I think he would be great value in 2010 as well.

Isaac John has convinced me in one game that he will only grow as a player with more game time.

Shaun Johnson, halfback in the under-20s, would be given a chance in the top grade at any other club.

However, the jewel in the crown is Kevin Locke, proving on the wing he is the Warriors best player.

Locke should be given the chance to play in the No6 or No7 jersey before any decisions are made regarding recruitment.

He has the ability to be the Johnathan Thurston of the Warriors - he only needs the opportunity to show his stuff.

Seymour is a talented player but he is not on the radar of the Australian test selectors so that tells me he is not good enough to be considered here.

He is not a better player than Lance Hohaia.

Style and class. That is all that is needed when looking for good players.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/sport/2674196/Punting-on-Seymour
Punting on Seymour
SUNDAY NEWS 26/7/09

EXCLUSIVE: TROUBLED Australian league star Brett Seymour could be living in New Zealand within a month and will be expected to participate in an alcohol rehabilitation programme as he looks to rebuild his tattered NRL career with the Warriors.

Seymour, a talented playmaker, was cut by the Sharks a month ago after repeat offences involving alcohol. It has since emerged the Warriors are in discussions with him about moving to Auckland in a deal that NRL boss David Gallop would have to sign off on before it could be allowed to happen.

Gallop said his organisation will register Seymour for the 2010 season but only if the alcohol-troubled halfback's contract with the Warriors contains appropriate steps to keep him in line.

"We've had some preliminary discussions about Brett playing at the Warriors and we've indicated there would have to be certain conditions we'd want to see in the contract around behaviour and obviously alcohol," Gallop told Sunday News.
"In line with the recent outcome from the CEOs' conference, this would be an example of a club having to take some responsibility in the event he brings the game into disrepute again."

Gallop's warning puts the Warriors in the firing line if they can't control Seymour.

They can expect, if he gets into trouble, to cop a huge fine.

Recently, the NRL stung the Sydney Roosters with a $A50,000 penalty after a string of alcohol indiscretions including one involving coach Brad Fittler and another involving star player Nate Myles.

"Obviously players with previous track records of off-field misbehaviour are an issue for a recruiting club," Gallop said.
"We don't necessarily want to see players set adrift and out of football because football can often be the one good constant thing in their lives.

"He (Seymour) is certainly a player we expect would need some special attention from the club. I think he needs to be doing some sort of programme that acknowledges that he needs to manage alcohol better than he has in the past."
Gallop acknowledged the Warriors were taking a risk in signing Seymour and said any potential off-field issues would be "viewed dimly".

Naturally, the Warriors are aware of Seymour's problems but the club's exemplary track record off the field in recent seasons should give fans confidence the former Shark and Bronco can stay out of trouble on this side of the ditch.
"The NRL's position is that clubs need to be more conscious of decisions to recruit players with past records," said Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah.

"We totally acknowledge that and I guess it's a risk the club needs to be prepared to take."

Scurrah refused to comment on the negotiations but Sunday News has been told by an Australian-based source that a package has been presented to Seymour.

He has indicated his interest in joining the Warriors and once the deal, thought to be performance-based, is penned, it's expected he will move to Auckland within weeks to begin working with the club, although he would not play in 2009.
It is also believed the Warriors will adopt a zero tolerance policy with Seymour.

Warriors star Brent Tate, who played with Seymour for five seasons at the Broncos, believes his former team-mate will thrive if he decides to come to Auckland.

"I've always found Buster (Seymour) to be a really good kid," Tate said. "I believe we have a really good culture here and I'm sure he'd thrive at the Warriors given the chance."

Seymour could not be reached for comment.

Ironically, Sunday News also understands the Auckland-based club expressed interest in him 18 months ago before he re-signed with the Sharks.