What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SG Ball and Harold Matthews results

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Last time we won the SG Ball was in 1992 against the bulldogs 20-0 that day, hopefully history repeats itself again..
Anyone have the team list from 1992 by any chance.

TheRev

First Grade
Last time we won the SG Ball was in 1992 against the bulldogs 20-0 that day, hopefully history repeats itself again..
Anyone have the team list from 1992 by any chance.
Oh Dragons you mean, we did win it as the Steelers in 2019, a few familiar names:

Stewart, Sloan, Scoupp, Feagai(s), Amone, Sully, Mulheissen, Coric, Shereb & Herring!

if we will be able to retain Marshke beyond the year.. but right now hes our only depth for 1st grade..
Fairly sad then, as last year it was Turner who was an equally inept game manager as Marschke. Brown could well be the answer to that role going forward.

Last edited:
Why extend Sione Finau till end of '25 then move him into the top 30, yet when a spot becomes open for him to play his second top match, leave him wallowing in Ressies with Christian T filling the spot. Not saying that big Christian did not acquit himself well in his debut, just seems massively unfair on Finau by Flanagan..

Last edited:

SaintWayne

Juniors
Why extend Sione Finau till end of '25 then move him into the top 30, yet when a spot becomes open for him to play his second top match, leave him wallowing in Ressies with Christian T filling the spot. Not saying that big Christian did not acquit himself well in his debut, just seems a touch unfair by Flanagan..
Probably because flano thinks finau is not good enough

TheRev

First Grade
You could argue any of Tamale, SFinau or ChristianTui would be unlucky not to get the call-up, but really none of them have demanded selection.. Finau is 22 and he is old enough... he is 'probably' next cab up if we need it.. I reckon he's been given instruction to increase his workrate.. i.e. his carries.. we desperately need these guys in our 30 though.. any more injuries in our first grade Back5 will start a scramble.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
You could argue any of Tamale, SFinau or ChristianTui would be unlucky not to get the call-up, but really none of them have demanded selection.. Finau is 22 and he is old enough... he is 'probably' next cab up if we need it.. I reckon he's been given instruction to increase his workrate.. i.e. his carries.. we desperately need these guys in our 30 though.. any more injuries in our first grade Back5 will start a scramble.
Finau's carries are lethal. Id expect him to make at least 18-20 a game if I were his coach

View attachment 87029

1992 St George Dragons SG Ball team that last won that competition beating the bulldogs 20-0.
Notice how a strong under 17 team produced no real 1st graders?

We can't expect that all our current SG Ball stars will make the NRL. I think some of them will. But it's a pretty steep slope. I remember thinking Brett Cox would be a really good NRL player. He played 4 games.

Probably because flano thinks finau is not good enough
Then again Flanagan has gotten it wrong. SF has more talent than Rava, Suli, CT, the Fegais imho. Is faster and almost as strong as those big dudes too. He also wants to play for the RedV , isnt that the one main Flanagan blueprint for keeping players..

denis preston

First Grade
He may have more talent but people on here who watch cup games say he certainly not setting the world on fire , particularly in defense. CT has been a stark contrast And deserved his promotion.

on here who watch cup games say he certainly not setting the world on fire
Admittedly I did not watch the game when CT scored 4 I think. That must've been a rarity for the play makers as games I have seen from Ralph /Glover, Ralph/Marschke are not gelling as a combo. Probably the reason Finau has not been standing out, except last week when he looked good in a losing side. I saw footage last year and Sione and Tamale made a terrific left combo. For some reason Goodwin (edit Wolfe) has switched Tamale to the other side this season. CT deserved his promotion, but so does Finau as he could step into Zac shoes seamlessly imho. Pick him in the centre for this season over Bird. We dont have to go throwing away good money on an import.

Last edited: