What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shameful day for Australian league

Anonymous

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
I've got no doubts this loss can be blamed on Chris Anderson.
If you blame the coach then you must have been watching a different game to me. Aust were leading 10-0 at one point.

It was great victory to NZ who simply outplayed Australia. They beat them up the middle.

Its also a great victory for Rugby League in NZ.

The game plan was poor, Willow. As soon as our front line forwards tired, they got on top of us and really went on with it. Anderson's game plan fell apart.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'm not defending the coach, I'm just giving credit to the victors. I think the clue is in your last post.
As soon as our front line forwards tired, they got on top of us and really went on with it.
In other words, the NZ pack were too good.

spacefreak_69

Juniors
a good game and in no way do i feel it was a low day in australian rugby league. We were just outplayed, i believe we didn't punish them enough coming out of dummy half and they punished us too much with their offloads. Seemed to me that we were good at the start of each half but fell away too much and they came back over the top of us. Not one to blame players, but bk looked a little out of game fitness and if anything he didn't run the ball enough prefering to share the ball with his other playmakers lockyer and wing. I think matt sing was awesome on his wing as was some of the runs from minichiello and webcke was great as usual.I think the contributing factor to the loss was our inexperience especially when we got behind, cause when you think about it even our experienced members of the team don't get behind on the scoreboard much on the international scene. I think this is good for rugby league and can't wait to see our next game against the kiwis. As for the poms i'd like to see gower given a go at half and girdlers experience would be welcomed in the centres and crocker agressive disposition and waterhouse strong runs would be welcomed off the bench.

Matta

Juniors
Its not a shameful day for Aussie league, you have to win some, then lose some... it just stops Australia from dominating a TAD bit much... really, its about time somebody else won.

Parra_Eels

Bench
soe of our defence was shocking. what about galuvaos break and same with vagana's which led to toopis second try. i thought the kiwis played well and the young guns really stood up like leuluai and faumuina

Im sooo happy the NZer's won! They really deserved the win. It was good to see Vagana play great at five-eighth as well as at fullback, he had a great game. Personally i think Kimmorley didnt have a good game, and i still think Gower should of been put on for Kimmorley as he wasnt doing much. But i agree with some of u, Australia's forwards didnt really do much, they needed some of the Dragons class likeLuke Bailey :p (if only he wasnt injured). But all in all, it was a teriffic game.
Congrats to New Zealand on a great game, and to Clinton Toopi who played outstanding.

Bowdus

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow: I agree with most of what you have said and maybe its just because I'm a biased Queenlander but I took offence about your Shane Webcke remark.

His game today may not have been the best of his career but going on my (remember biased) view I thought he was at least one of the better Australian forwards playing. Hell he scored a try, put Mason through a hole for another before he butchered it and made some respectable metres.

So by you calling him a "softcock" not only suggests that you were going on a dislike of him beforehand rather then of his performance today but it also made your decent post take on a more childish aspect.

dimitri

First Grade
If you blame the coach then you must have been watching a different game to me. Aust were leading 10-0 at one point.

It was great victory to NZ who simply outplayed Australia. They beat them up the middle.

Its also a great victory for Rugby League in NZ.

i totally agree

Wests is Best

Juniors
Rather than focussing on the negatives of Australia, I'd just like to congratulate the Kiwis on a well deserved win.
The Kangaroos are certainly beatable, and I hope that for the sake of International Rugby League that Great Britain took note of what happened yesterday, and make a good contest of the up coming series.

incredible_holc

Juniors
ok some nz players i thought played well that havnt got a mention:
- Awen Guttenbiel = this guy was a metres man all day and got some great offloads away

- Montey Betham = the first good match ive seen him play, played with alot of passion and was brutal in defence and effective out of dummy half

- the Cayless Brothers = both never stopped going forward and were also great in defence

What about their little halfback? Everyone was so busy trying to knock him around we let their team get under our captain's skin with early hits.

Willow said:
As soon as our front line forwards tired, they got on top of us and really went on with it.
In other words, the NZ pack were too good.

True, but it would've helped if there was some bigger guys coming off the bench instead of Gower.

macdad

Juniors
what a win! we havent won that many, but the milestone 100th test win is ours & something the oz boys cant take away from us.
how i saw it, first the criticism... sione & francis. while improving bigtime in 2nd half, had very forgettable 1st halves. it was tempting to jump over the rail, dodge security, just to be able to kick their rses or punch their heads so hopefully theyd wake up! sione in particular trying at every opportunity to throw the ball & game away, wheneva he had the chance.
one of big moments in game was when boys were out on their feet, tail first half as ozzy pummelled line. then, francis redeemed himself by putting superstar toopi away for his first try afta intercepting. had oz gone in there, would have been a big blow. as they didnt, kiwis came out in 2nd half with zing in their step.
Oz uncharacteristically butchered opportunities left & right in 2nd half & we nailed most, if not all of ours.
our pack was awesome. jason cayless improved the hell out of his grand final performance, & kearney will struggle to get back in so long as the hair bears are carving & fit! tommy L provided direction & snappy distribution which was lacking when he wasnt on. vinnie continues to front up like a one jarrod mccracken. clinton is 'da boyyyyyeeeee'. while nigel is no fittler or lockyer under the high, his kick returns in 2nd half were pretty good.
ozzies. in 4 words, 'no joey no win'. kimmorleys a good footballer but shy on the 'D', & doesnt operate well when scud missiles are heading his way from all directions. joey gets better in that situation. anderson, chris, definitely this time, has to cut that umbilical cord for good!
lots of 2nd half mistakes which helped our cause. oz also lacked a ball playing forward with vision like fletcher who just killed us in that first test. altho they had some hardnuts in pack, they were outmuscled bigtime, & in that regard they missed tallis.
beautiful win, & being there was the sssshhhhaatttt!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

aqua_duck

Coach
Chris Anderson has alot to answer for, I thought that team he picked was terrible. Kimmorley played average, wasn't terrible but Gower should get a go. I can't see how they keep justifying Willie Mason's selection. Yesterday again it was a few hit ups, a few handling errors, and it was bye bye Willie, one again backs up my theory that Mason is a terrible player to have if you got your backs against the wall. I thought Anderson didn't use his bench at all well, he should've used Gower and Buderus in tandum, like how Gus used Wing and Buderus, instead he just brought Gower on late. I thought Villasanti was given limited opportunity and Robbie kearns was ordinary. Ricketson missed a few tackles and Phil Bailey was ineffective. Our backline was pedestrian apart from Lockyer and Minicheillo. De Vere and Sing were a couple of turnstyles and as for Hegarty he did nothing all afternoon, in fact I cant even remember him touching the ball. Wing was uninspiring at pivot and further backs up the idea that Campbell should've been chosen. I was thinking yesterday that maybe the decision not to choose Campbell is a good ploy by Anderson to justify his boyfriend being chosen at halfback. With no 5/8th, Wing is probably the only option, and with Wing at 5/8th you got the have a back up hooker on the bench, naturally this is Gower, which leave Ando's boyfriend at half. If you pick Gower at half you haven't got a back up hooker on the bench since Ando's boyfriend can realistically only play one position. Good work Ando, you stupid prick.

Azkatro

First Grade
Didn't catch the game, I was in Parra spending up at JB Hi Fi, so I can't really comment on the match itself. But I can say that Chris Anderson is doing a great job and he's really brought that much sought-after "winning culture" he's got going at Cronulla to the International side.

dimitri

First Grade
ok some nz players i thought played well that havnt got a mention:
- Awen Guttenbiel = this guy was a metres man all day and got some great offloads away

- Montey Betham = the first good match ive seen him play, played with alot of passion and was brutal in defence and effective out of dummy half

- the Cayless Brothers = both never stopped going forward and were also great in defence

i agree 100%

Latest posts