What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shared captaincy!

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
I just wanted to hear what others opinion is on this new shared captaincy that many codes and clubs are adopting. Personally as a fan I dont like it from a fans perspective, from a teams perspective I can see some positive aspects. I see it as a special honour to a special player and leader of the team.

Lowdown

Juniors
It seems to get results - so the early proof suggests its a good thing - but ultimately it depends on your club, and the personalities involved.

For the Storm it worked, with not just one captain - but 5 or 6 on the field. The appointed 'captain' didnt have any additional responsibilities other than the coin toss, and being the spokesperson with the ref. But nothing else changed at all.

aids

Bench
Lowdown said:
It seems to get results

i disagree.

storm used it, brisbane didn't
having a solid leader with direction was one of the key reason brisbane won the grandfinal last year.

personally i think it's a wishy-washy touchy-feely new age fad, teams need a strong leader.
even if it does upset a few of the other senior players who don't get it.

The Colonel

Immortal
Rotten Rooster said:
I just wanted to hear what others opinion is on this new shared captaincy that many codes and clubs are adopting. Personally as a fan I dont like it from a fans perspective, from a teams perspective I can see some positive aspects. I see it as a special honour to a special player and leader of the team.

It isn't anything new. Jack Gibson used a similar thing back in the eighties at Parramatta moreso with training but it was a part of game day as well. Edge (and then Price) was the onfield captain but they had four different groups at training each with "captains".

Most clubs also have a senior group of five or six players that talk with the coach and his staff on a regular basis.

BF

Juniors
on a airplane you have a pilot with a co-piolt and navigator. you dont have 3 pilots.

There needs to be one leader..

Roosters_187

Juniors
Theres no big deal with shared captaincy. FFS what does the captain do on the field he chooses what option after a penalty and there often being told that from the sideline/runner. What do you look for in a captain someone to inspire you, lead the tea,m around etc. Any experienced player should be doing this anyway so its no big deal. I think a leadership group ala the AFL is the way to go where 4-5 senior players lead the team around.

Dragooner

Bench
It depends on the team. Dragons are planning to do it this year and I think that's what the team needs. But with a team like Brisbane you need 1 player to control a whole team. A single captain worked for Brisbane and multiple captains worked for the Storm.

I depends on what style the club wants.

dragondad

First Grade
I think leadership group is a good idea,on the training paddock especially,but at the end of the day,from that group there should be one captain.

miccle

Bench
I agree - nothing wrong with the older, more experienced players taking on leadership roles within the club at training etc. It does wonders for some of the new kids breaking into the team.

But on game day, just one captain thanks. Or if the captain is a forward, then also a vice for when he's off the field. But that's the way to go - one leader and spokesman for the team. Too many cooks, etc.

cronker

Juniors
Agree here too. Leadership groups are very good for the team, but at the moment it comes to crunch time, everyone needs to know where to look for the right answers.

hrundi99

First Grade
Barrett_Factor said:
on a airplane you have a pilot with a co-piolt and navigator. you dont have 3 pilots.

Yes I can see a very direct correlation between a league side and flying...

:sarcasm:

Barrett_Factor said:

I agree with the analogy.

When times our tough, you need leadership to guide you through. That should rest with one player who can continually bring his side together. That's not to say that he alone has input into the side, everyone should assist here.

You dont have a different boss every week at work, and you shouldn't have a different captain every week on the paddock.