What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

taipan

Referee
The hysteria brought up here at times without knowing the full details, relying on crisis merchants Sloth,Kent,Hooper,Read and Ritchie to get the "reliable sauce(sic) info" ,has to be seen to be believed.

Imagine if the late Bec was still here.The Sharks would be suffering the death of a thousand cuts, with the added ,NRL hopeless,AFL flawless routine.

From evidence gleaned so far and yes only so far),the breach is hardly earth shattering.
I also noted people went of half cocked, suggesting the player involved was Barba.
If the Heino situation is what appears to be ,then a fine.
Cheating ? Outside the cap, then yes.
Intentional ?Yet to be proven.
Systematic ? If that's systematic, then 20m tidal waves appear on NSW beaches regular as clockwork, at the beginning of summer.

And they can jam their Telegraphs ,up their well worn Kybers.

The real issue is that every team has cheated the salary cap at some stage and the NRL and its integrity unit don't have a system in place to stop it or even slow it down.

DS, you make a compelling argument about Barry. I believe our Club is in a no win situation. Have a look at the epic over top exaggeration media reporting when we self reported to the NRL.

Imagine for a moment that we were caught - impossible to think, but the outrage in the media would be far worse.

I think our club has been through enough media saga's for a life time. On that basis, I can understand why he reported upfront.

Here's hoping that we don't have this situation again.

Agreed, that is what the Melbourne Storm found as well - Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

How can the NRL possibly police this system????

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/30...thaiday-set-to-see-big-drop-in-value-of-tpas/

The retirement of Billy Slater and Sam Thaiday is set to result in a dramatic fall in the total value of third party agreements, with the star duo responsible for up to 25 per cent of earnings from private sector TPAs between them.

Salary cap allegations against Cronulla have sparked renewed debate about third party agreements but the NRL revealed earlier this year that there had been a sharp decline in private sector TPAs since 2016, and that trend is expected to continue.

Quicksilver

Bench
Surely the new talent will just come through and take their place. There might be ups and downs from season to season but I don’t see why the overall trend should be downwards. Unless there’s just a general economic downturn. In which case it’s all relative anyway.

siv

First Grade
The real issue is that every team has cheated the salary cap at some stage and the NRL and its integrity unit don't have a system in place to stop it or even slow it down.

I will also add there is no documented breach penalties if you breach the cap when proven guilty

Eion

First Grade
I would h
Surely the new talent will just come through and take their place. There might be ups and downs from season to season but I don’t see why the overall trend should be downwards. Unless there’s just a general economic downturn. In which case it’s all relative anyway.
exactly. Ponga, Val, Cleary for example will fill any void quickly

Frailty

First Grade
Don't let the News Ltd crisis machine fool you to think there is a major issue with the Salary Cap.

They have targeted the current NRL management and hammering them for years. Whilst I have issues with the ARLC and how the game is being run, the attacks from News Ltd. have been baseless and not based on fact.

They said people were turning off the game, but the TV figures are up and the crowds are up on last season. They have said Peter Beattie is too busy flying overseas, but he is actually directly engaging with fans, implemented more cost effective travel policies, and stayed in the country (despite being reported to have been watching the All Blacks). They criticised referees bosses for being overseas attending a conference on the emerging technologies in sports officiating, but this is forward thinking from management and the conference is only available this time of year.

The relationship with Rothfield and the Sharks could be a whole thread worth of analysis. In summary, Rothfield will publicly attack the club if he is not getting his way, or he doesn't like the people making decisions. He put out the most damaging material during ASADA, he has printed absolute lies about relationships amongst players, and he has blown up this incident. He is not a friend of the club, but rather a manipulative, agenda-driven, power hungry tosser.

There are some decent journalists at News Ltd, but they are few and far between and mean nothing when Rothfield is a senior editor.

If you want honest reporting on league, just steer clear of News Ltd.

carcharias

Immortal
Don't let the News Ltd crisis machine fool you to think there is a major issue with the Salary Cap.

They have targeted the current NRL management and hammering them for years. Whilst I have issues with the ARLC and how the game is being run, the attacks from News Ltd. have been baseless and not based on fact.

They said people were turning off the game, but the TV figures are up and the crowds are up on last season. They have said Peter Beattie is too busy flying overseas, but he is actually directly engaging with fans, implemented more cost effective travel policies, and stayed in the country (despite being reported to have been watching the All Blacks). They criticised referees bosses for being overseas attending a conference on the emerging technologies in sports officiating, but this is forward thinking from management and the conference is only available this time of year.

The relationship with Rothfield and the Sharks could be a whole thread worth of analysis. In summary, Rothfield will publicly attack the club if he is not getting his way, or he doesn't like the people making decisions. He put out the most damaging material during ASADA, he has printed absolute lies about relationships amongst players, and he has blown up this incident. He is not a friend of the club, but rather a manipulative, agenda-driven, power hungry tosser.

There are some decent journalists at News Ltd, but they are few and far between and mean nothing when Rothfield is a senior editor.

If you want honest reporting on league, just steer clear of News Ltd.

Isn’t that strange
The most hated journo in the game is hated the most by the fans of the team he follows.

I know it’s a Job blah blah blah

But I don’t know how a person could still rock up to the ground like he does.

Nobody will give a f**k the day he f**ks off from the NRL.

He must think he is untouchable like that Weinstein fat shit.
Not so.

Isn’t that strange
The most hated journo in the game is hated the most by the fans of the team he follows.

I know it’s a Job blah blah blah

But I don’t know how a person could still rock up to the ground like he does.

Nobody will give a f**k the day he f**ks off from the NRL.

He must think he is untouchable like that Weinstein fat shit.
Not so.
It’s exaclry why he waited until the final home game was done. f**k him