What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Captaincy - Kimmorley or Peachey

Fyn

Juniors
I would love to see Peach given back his role as captain, but like others have suggested, I fear the impact this may have on Kimmorley.

Peach is certainly the best man for the job and I would love nothing more than to see him as the first Shark captain the hold aloft the premiership trophy, but I think that Raper has no choice but to leave Kimmorley as captain. We need stability above all things until this drama passes. I too love the idea of giving Peach the club captain role. Something he would relish, I'm sure.

On a side note, was it just me or did that article seem to suggest to you that Peach never stepped down from the captaincy last year but rather was forced to give it up? Quotes from Peach stating that the captaincy position is "up to Stuey" and that he thinks he is a "very capable leader within the side", do not fit in with a man who "retired" from the job. Why would it be up for debate if Peach had given the role away? He still sounds like a man who would desperately love to lead his beloved team out onto the field each week to me!

It makes my blood boil.

bull shark

Juniors
If BK is a true professional - which I think he is - then IU don't think that losing the captaincy should affect him.

Peachey has a certain sprit about him that just seems to lift the team - even when he seems to be just hanging at the back.

The ideal for me is that BK just be the #1 playmaker (which he is excellent at), Peachey as the captain, someone else as the goalkicker (is there anyone?). That's a good spread of responsibilities. If Peachey can't be there then BK would be the captain, if the #1 kicker wasn't there then you'd turn to BK. But it would mean that BK could just concentrate on 1 thing: being the best half in the comp.

Foz

Bench
Fyn's last point there about Peachey giving the captaincy up and comments associated with it sums it up for me. (maybe Brad Williams should take media lessons from Peach). You dont have to spell it out that the Peach was stood down from the job. Peach is a great captain.
However in the interest of team harmony I think Noddy has to have the job. He leads us around the park and captaincy should go with it.
Kimmorley has shown a great attitude off the field (under trying circumstances) with all the crap thats gone on as well and to take it off him would be an injustice.
Noddy went to that NRL meeting as Sharks captain and I get the impression he is proud to represent us.

Frenzy

Juniors
Fyn said:
I would love to see Peach given back his role as captain, but like others have suggested, I fear the impact this may have on Kimmorley.

Peach is certainly the best man for the job and I would love nothing more than to see him as the first Shark captain the hold aloft the premiership trophy, but I think that Raper has no choice but to leave Kimmorley as captain. We need stability above all things until this drama passes. I too love the idea of giving Peach the club captain role. Something he would relish, I'm sure.

On a side note, was it just me or did that article seem to suggest to you that Peach never stepped down from the captaincy last year but rather was forced to give it up? Quotes from Peach stating that the captaincy position is "up to Stuey" and that he thinks he is a "very capable leader within the side", do not fit in with a man who "retired" from the job. Why would it be up for debate if Peach had given the role away? He still sounds like a man who would desperately love to lead his beloved team out onto the field each week to me!

It makes my blood boil.

It's taken me a while to get to the Tele today but I don't think the article suggests anything untoward in regards to the captaincy at all.

I think it's always better to give people the full picture though and not selected snippets :)

David Peachey has hosed down the chance of a captaincy conflict issue for new coach Stuart Raper, saying he is happy for Brett Kimmorley to retain the job.

The captaincy was seen as a first up issue for Raper, who is yet to decide who will lead the Sharks in 2004.

Under former coach Chris Anderson the captaincy controversially went from stalwart Peachey to import Kimmorley 12 months ago.

"Brett's done a terrific job throughout the year, so it'll be up to Stuey," said Peachey, part of Rapers 1994 premiership winning Cronulla President's Cup team.

If the captaincy is there (on offer) I think I'm a very capable leader within the side and so is Brett and we've got other senior players to call on like Nigel (Vagana) and Stevo (Jason Stevens)

"But if you break it down to me and Brett, he's done a terrific job and if Stuey wants him to lead us around again I am happy for him to do that"

And reefy, you evil man :lol:

reefy said:
He is more ready & it would make up for the insult that was 02-03

You are re writing history again. Peachey was captain in 2002.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I actually didn't mean that.
It was assumed that all knew that.
I meant that he was sacked after 02 after backing Anderson all the way through that year.
That was the insult. To turn up at 03 & be sacked from the position.
maybe he should have had a back me or sack me meeting.

Macca

Coach
It doesn't matter who has the (C) next to their name. Noddy will be the one doing all the talking on the field. Peach can call positional issues from the back like every other full back does as well. Noddy just about took over the leadership of the Aussie side in NZ this year, what would stop him from doing the same for the Sharks? This is a non-issue.