What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shark's "Defence"

Cryptic

Juniors
The media have been going on and on and on about it... The best attacking team (at least we would have been if we had gotten one more converted try :() vs the best "defensive" team... My thoughts on it are a bit different though...

From watching a few Sharks games over the last couple of weeks I would have to put their great "defence" down as training 50% of the time on wrestling... Teams against them would have to have the SLOWEST play the ball around, they are just VERY good at making it look like they are moving... They do have good line speed as well but it made their games frustrating to watch a lot of the time... Even more so after being use to the Raiders fast paced attacking play...

My main worry about all of this is that they will try to push it even more and, refs being refs, won't want to blow the whisle unless it's 200% nessesary as everyone of them wants to be Billy Harrigan and his "quick flowing" game... Which just translates into they don't stamp any authority onto the game and it ends up being slow scrappy crap...

I know the boys are good enough to beat them, I just don't know if we will be given the chance to do so :(

always a raider

Juniors
Yep, I'm predicting a frustrating game to watch. They will lie all over us and the game will be played at a snails pace. Maxwell better have some balls and not reward the 2008 Cronulla team for being the most boring team ever.

Chachi

Bench
Can you even begin to imagine what could happen if we manage to win and get to play the next final at home?

The ref will have a massive role to play in this game. If Maxwell gives us a chance in the ruck then we're a good a chance as any to get the win. We also need to be far better with our linespeed than we have in the past couple of weeks.

Special K

Coach
The best part of the sharks defence is their scrambling not their ruck control. But if the Media says so it must be true!

Cryptic

Juniors
The best part of the sharks defence is their scrambling not their ruck control. But if the Media says so it must be true!

Don't know what Sharks team you've been watching all year but, while I haven't watched every game of the season they have been in, every one has been excessive slowing down of the play the ball not "scrambling defence" as the majority of time you don't get to that point due to the play the ball being so slow you have no time to put on anything that could break the line...

And I agree with other comments, if we are allowed to play Rugby League, we are a great chance to win. If we are forced to play Greco-Roman Westling we will lose as no one does that as well as the Sharks this season...

Overall I guess it's smart coaching (combined with poor reffing)... After looking at the team and realising that dirt has better attacking powers they went with the "defence" instead. Who needs a good footy mind or skill to play attacking football when you can just bore the other team to sleep and walk through their line.

Last edited:

Bay56

First Grade
If i were henry (and of course I'm not) I'd be putting some doubt into thier defence with a number of chip kicks and grubbers through their defence ... get the likes of Mona's, Besty and Milne on the same frequency and we're half way there.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Can you even begin to imagine what could happen if we manage to win and get to play the next final at home?

I was under the impression that the finals in week 2 and 3 are home 'region' finals, and that Canberra (and Newcastle, for that matter) were classified as being part of the Sydney 'region'. So if we won we have to play at the SFS or something else ridiculous.

I remember there being a huge uproar in Newcastle about it last year when the news was announced.

Special K

Coach
Don't know what Sharks team you've been watching all year but, while I haven't watched every game of the season they have been in, every one has been excessive slowing down of the play the ball not "scrambling defence" as the majority of time you don't get to that point due to the play the ball being so slow you have no time to put on anything that could break the line...

And I agree with other comments, if we are allowed to play Rugby League, we are a great chance to win. If we are forced to play Greco-Roman Westling we will lose as no one does that as well as the Sharks this season...

Overall I guess it's smart coaching (combined with poor reffing)... After looking at the team and realising that dirt has better attacking powers they went with the "defence" instead. Who needs a good footy mind or skill to play attacking football when you can just bore the other team to sleep and walk through their line.
We don't wrestle as such. We get numbers in tackles and stop teams go forward by being physical and testing the ref with physicality. The only team which ruined this was Manly who had a bunch of props and ran over us.

However most teams make a fair few breaks against the sharks however there always seems to be a bunch of sharks popping up to get in the way which stops points. Plus they are very good in the air.

The wrestle thing is Gould anti stuart propaganda

dannyboy

Juniors
The media have been going on and on and on about it... The best attacking team (at least we would have been if we had gotten one more converted try :() vs the best "defensive" team... My thoughts on it are a bit different though...

From watching a few Sharks games over the last couple of weeks I would have to put their great "defence" down as training 50% of the time on wrestling... Teams against them would have to have the SLOWEST play the ball around, they are just VERY good at making it look like they are moving... They do have good line speed as well but it made their games frustrating to watch a lot of the time... Even more so after being use to the Raiders fast paced attacking play...

My main worry about all of this is that they will try to push it even more and, refs being refs, won't want to blow the whisle unless it's 200% nessesary as everyone of them wants to be Billy Harrigan and his "quick flowing" game... Which just translates into they don't stamp any authority onto the game and it ends up being slow scrappy crap...

I know the boys are good enough to beat them, I just don't know if we will be given the chance to do so :(

What other names do you post here under Gus?

Raider_69

Post Whore
I think we can get them, they play a very simple style
they are very well coached and well drilled, they slow the play the ball down alot and control the tempo of the game perfectly
they work it down, kick to the corners and compress in defense in the opposition half and try to get numbers in the tackles early to limit metre gains, this will work in our favour because the sharks havnt played a side so willing to throw the ball wide early like we do, if they compress their defence, the ball will go wide and we'll go around them.

Their backs arnt overly quick, so if we can make some breaks out wide early, we'll score some points and also should stretch their defence abit and make it easier to make some inroads up the middle.
They are good in the air so kicking high might not be the go this week, grubbers along the ground to try and force repeat sets.
We need to pressure Kimmorleys kick too

If we can play our up tempo style and draw them into a fast pace game, they will not be able to keep up and we will run riot. However if they draw us into the arm wreslte and the boring sh*t play they use, we'll be cannon fodder

Mick_63

Juniors
If i were henry (and of course I'm not) I'd be putting some doubt into thier defence with a number of chip kicks and grubbers through their defence ... get the likes of Mona's, Besty and Milne on the same frequency and we're half way there.

I agree.
Henry has tried this against noted compressors of defence,roosters.

The best asset we have is Campo's ability to think on his feet.
The bloke is an old style,Cliff Lyons type.

Raider Azz

Bench
I was under the impression that the finals in week 2 and 3 are home 'region' finals, and that Canberra (and Newcastle, for that matter) were classified as being part of the Sydney 'region'. So if we won we have to play at the SFS or something else ridiculous.

I remember there being a huge uproar in Newcastle about it last year when the news was announced.
http://www.nrl.com/Draw/TicketingexplainedFinals/tabid/10769/Default.aspx

The following Home City venues with a capacity of at least 25,000 may qualify to host a Final in Week 2:

• Sydney - ANZ Stadium, Sydney Football Stadium
  • Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium
  • Townsville - Dairy Farmers Stadium
  • Newcastle - Energy Australia Stadium
  • Canberra - Canberra Stadium
  • Melbourne - Telstra Dome, MCG
  • Auckland - Ericsson Stadium

SOULS 04

Juniors
anyone who doesnt reckon the sharks defense doesnt come down to alot of wrestling should have listened to Gallen on 2ue on gibbs and brandys show.

he was taking about the way to beating the raiders is to continue their wrestling technique in tackles.

dubby

Bench
If Maxwell is afraid to penalise teams (remember the Souths - Raiders game; he blew like 3 penalties all game) we are in for a rough time.

However, NQ piled on 20-odd unanswered points last week so the Sharks arent as bullet proof as we imagine.

IMO, the trick is to unsettle their halves. If Noddy and Seymour are off their game the Sharks will lose; poor kicking options, pressured passes, etc it can work.

We just need to trust our attack, its our defence that will decide the game.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Attack our right side defense, it is our weakness.

Get the ball to Best early.

Do this and you will win.

Latest posts