What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Deliver good mail.

Sharkie73

Bench
Sharks deliver good mail
By Peter Badel
April 23, 2006

Sharks 24 Cowboys 22
ADAM Dykes, the man who wanted out of the Sharks, proved the hero last night as Cronulla buried a week of controversy with an incredible boilover against front-runners North Queensland.

0,5001,5143575,00.jpg
Well done ... Ben Ross acknowledges the fans. Pic: Brett Costello
In the upset of the season, the Sharks overturned a 22-10 half-time deficit, scoring 14 unanswered points to hand the Cowboys their first loss of 2006.
And the talisman was Dykes.
Dykes was on the verge of leaving the club over summer to join South Sydney, but ultimately stayed. Last night he delivered the goods, scoring a superb solo try before setting up another for Nigel Vagana to stun the Cowboys.
The nail-biting victory was sweet justice for Sharks coach Stuart Raper, who was subjected to vitriolic emails from Cronulla fans after the club's 42-16 hammering last week against premier Wests Tigers.
"The boys got the rewards tonight by digging deep," Raper said.
"I've said to the guys we haven't played that badly this year but a lot of people think we have been.
"We've lost some close games, but we knew if we kept persisting in what we were doing we'd win some close games.
"I'm really proud of the effort of the players this week.
Advertisement:

"We didn't panic, there was no crisis meetings, everything was positive about what we did in our approach.
"You need these type of victories to bring the best out in you, but it's only a good win if we can back it up next week."
Without injured halfback and skipper Brett Kimmorley, it was partner-in-crime Dykes who stepped up to the plate last night.
The clever playmaker ignited the second-half revival. In the 54th minute, he sliced through the Cowboys with a slick dummy to score to narrow the deficit to 22-16.
Five minutes later, Dykes grubber kicked 40 metres out from the Cowboys line, retrieved the ball and found centre Vagana, who raced 20 metres to level the scores.
Winger Luke Covell then landed a 65th-minute penalty goal to edge Cronulla clear - and they hung on desperately as North Queensland launched a series of fruitless raids.
Dykes, who remained at the club after failing to secure a contract elsewhere, admitted he felt compelled to step up in Kimmorley's absence.
"Noddy's such a great player. We work so well together and when he's not there you miss him with his last-play options," he said. "It wasn't a pretty win, it was gutsy, but I'm happy."
The Cowboys were left to rue some questionable decisions, most notably a try awarded to Sharks centre Phil Bailey in the 10th minute.
The former Test utility appeared to have been held up and even video referee Steve Nash couldn't adjudicate on the play.
But when Nash sent the matter back to referee Gavin Badger, he controversially awarded the Sharks' their opening four-pointer.
"I thought it would be held up, play-the-ball for sure," Cowboys coach Graham Murray said.
"I spoke to Paul Bowman (Cowboys centre). He was the player underneath and he was adamant he had his arm cradling the ball, he said there was no way he got the ball down."
But Murray refused to blame the loss on that call. He also denied North Queensland's energy-sapping defeat of Newcastle in last Sunday's blockbuster at EnergyAustralia Stadium had left the 2005 grand finalists vulnerable.
"It was a big game for us last week but we won't blame that," he said.
"They played well, they got a roll on at the right time and were better than us in a couple of areas.
"When they started coming at us in the second half they just had a bit too much momentum for us."
Sharks prop Hutch Maiava is expected to miss next Friday night's clash against Penrith with a rib injury.

CRONULLA 24 (P Bailey A Dykes L Thompson N Vagana tries; L Covell 4 goals)
NORTH QUEENSLAND 22 (L O'Donnell 2 R Jensen M Sing tries; J Thurston 3 goals).
Referee: G Badger.
Crowd: 9,025 at Toyota Park.

The Sunday Telegraph
So who do think will replace Hutch? Selmes or Stosic.

Aries

Bench
I must have the early Morning copy because I was spewing when I read it...

I'm glad they fixed this up in the later edition...
ADAM Dykes, the man who wanted out of the Sharks, proved the hero last night as Cronulla buried a week of controversy with an incredible boilover against front-runners North Queensland.

My paper reads...
ADAM Dykes, the man the Sharks didn't want, proved the hero last night as Cronulla buried a week of controversy with an incredible boilover against front-runners North Queensland.

Jo Ryan

Juniors
My paper reads.
The sharks went close scoring in th 43 minute when Prop Luke Douglas flicked a pass to Matt Hilder who spilt the ball.

Gee Waltzing getting them blame, shafted to premier league, must have been some pass. The bloke can't take a trick. I hope his back on the bench next week. He deserves a break.

Jo Ryan said:
My paper reads.

Gee Waltzing getting them blame, shafted to premier league, must have been some pass. The bloke can't take a trick. I hope his back on the bench next week. He deserves a break.

That's pretty poor journalism sin't it? I think Albert dropped the pass.

Aries

Bench
Feels good to want to get down the shop nice and early, and eagerly want to read the game review...doesn't it! :D

PHaTMaN

Juniors
I agree I think Bird brings more to the team than Hilder, except for one poor defensive effort that lead to a try I think Bird went well last night.

ali

Bench
I agree, certainly didn't dominate PL like you may expect from a player of his ability. keep him down there.

I thought Selmes played well in PL. Starting to look like a first grader IMO. He's a big bloke, but unlike other big guys we've had in the past, appears to rip in big time. Give him a go I say!

Joes Milk Bar

Juniors
should be selmes. a good time to introduce him. big friday night game, not the best opposition but not the worst. he's got the look.

hilder has to earn his spot and didn't go close yesterday.

article recently on selmes and hutch = http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18824414-23214,00.html

"He's a terrific young player who I think will be a better player than me.

"If Jacob comes up and takes my spot, that's cool. I will know I'm having some type of an effect."

"we knew if we kept persisting in what we were doing we'd win some close games"

this scares me... particularly as that is exactly NOT how they got the win

Frenzy.

Immortal
spirit of league said:
"we knew if we kept persisting in what we were doing we'd win some close games"

this scares me... particularly as that is exactly NOT how they got the win

FMFFJJ I didn't even pick up on that SOL.

It is indeed scary if Uncle Nuff Nuff really thinks how the team played last night is how the team has been playing all along.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Selmes wont play first grade for Sharks.
I dont know what he is going like this year, but from what I have seen, hes not up to it & I have seen knees like his before on players. The kinda knees that big guys have that go pop.

& Bird was average last night in a spirited performance. Looks like he is struggling big time carrying extra weight.

Inferno

Coach
Gees the thing that sticks out most to me from that Article is
Maiava, 30, said his first option was to stay at the Sharks - but only if they could afford him.

"Nobody really wants to leave a club that they are enjoying and happy at," he said.

"I would love another year or two ... but money talks and I'm not getting any younger."

Not exactly confidence building, but to be honest I think we have some decent young prospects anyway and if Hutch going leads to one of the young' uns getting a shot I could live with it.