What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

Yet Cronulla supporters do turn up, Yesterday we got a crowd of over 15000 to see an out of town team just imagined if it was the bulldogs or St George..Why not ask the Roosters about there crowd figures wasn’t any better than the Sharks and their venue was the SFS..

I just had a look at last years figures and both the Dragons and Dogs got less than that, point is moot.
Do we need to put on 1000 dancers every week so they, and their parents, get added on to the crowd to bolster it up? and they were counted trust me.

The figure is still too low according to the Chairmans statement, so 1500 more people need to be there and every week TO BREAK EVEN.
Yesterdays game still ran at a loss.
If you would have read my reasons for the SFS a few posts above you would see the reasoning:

"if the cub can get a deal, like other teams do, to get paid so much per game plus a cut of the crowd receipts, is that not better than a constant loss?"

No deal, no move.
Does that make it more simple for a couple of you.

And if you look at what the prevailing theory of what will happen, Moving to SFS would not save us, the idea is to REMOVE Sydney clubs, moving to SFS would be the final nail in the coffin. You may want to say "You cant stop Progress". Moving to SFS would more mean "You cant stop the railroad".
This is your opinion based on what you feel will happen, fair enough.
Here is what I have said (again) about a move to the SFS:

"if the cub can get a deal, like other teams do, to get paid so much per game plus a cut of the crowd receipts, is that not better than a constant loss?"

Are you trying to tell me that a deal like this would kill the club?
I tell you what is killing the club, bad management and not enough supporters showing up.
Thats pretty factual.

M2D2

Bench
This is your opinion based on what you feel will happen, fair enough.
Here is what I have said (again) about a move to the SFS:

Are you trying to tell me that a deal like this would kill the club?
I tell you what is killing the club, bad management and not enough supporters showing up.
Thats pretty factual.
Not opinion. The NRL wants to remove teams FROM SYDNEY. Us no longer having a local presence and moving to a stadium outside the catchment area to the SFS where we would NOT be paid to play at, where would have lower crowds, would be the simplest reason to remove us from the game and permanently relocate us.
You even used an old article for souths in the sharks forum where they are no longer being paid to play at homebush due to it being bought back from the government. No club is currently getting paid to play at a home ground.
But hey, rather than looking at why the f**k is it costing so much to run game day where we own the ground and pay no rent.
You want to play right into NRLS hands.
Thats pretty factual.

Generalzod

Immortal
And still lost money
No kidding Einstein but it’s not what I was talking about...my point is those who want to centralise Sydney base clubs to play at the future SFS I would say to you that what a remarkable success it was for the Roosters supporters It’s not like they filled the Stadium up

Last edited:
Not opinion. The NRL wants to remove teams FROM SYDNEY. Us no longer having a local presence and moving to a stadium outside the catchment area to the SFS where we would NOT be paid to play at, where would have lower crowds, would be the simplest reason to remove us from the game and permanently relocate us.
You even used an old article for souths in the sharks forum where they are no longer being paid to play at homebush due to it being bought back from the government. No club is currently getting paid to play at a home ground.
But hey, rather than looking at why the f**k is it costing so much to run game day where we own the ground and pay no rent.
Thats pretty factual.
Once again, I said "if we got a deal" I said in the post to Zod, "no deal no move". Honestly please read the "ifs" a bit better. There is no playing into someones hands, no facts at all.
good lawd hahaha, you are priceless.

The article from 2005 was to show how a club set themselves up when the time was ripe and made it work. Apparently we were losing money then and didnt do anything about it where we could have. Get it now.

The new SFS is going to want tenants, if they, or the NRL, do offer deals should we still stick our heads in the sand and not look at it, or go about our merry ways and keep losing money?

You do realise that these thoughts are all encompassing about the hows and whys the club has fallen into this, and asking these questions is asking why it happened in the first place at the same time??

Anything else I need to explain easier for you, because I am playing right into the "NRLS hands" arent I??
I have to admit you are giving me a good laugh.

Once again, I said "if we got a deal" I said in the post to Zod, "no deal no move". Honestly please read the "ifs" a bit better. There is no playing into someones hands, no facts at all.
good lawd hahaha, you are priceless.

The article from 2005 was to show how a club set themselves up when the time was ripe and made it work. Apparently we were losing money then and didnt do anything about it where we could have. Get it now.

The new SFS is going to want tenants, if they, or the NRL, do offer deals should we still stick our heads in the sand and not look at it, or go about our merry ways and keep losing money?

You do realise that these thoughts are all encompassing about the hows and whys the club has fallen into this, and asking these questions is asking why it happened in the first place at the same time??

Anything else I need to explain easier for you, because I am playing right into the "NRLS hands" arent I??
I have to admit you are giving me a good laugh.
IF the NRL have a stadium plan and IF that stadium plan is they get all clubs in Sydney using the big new stadiums it may not be an IF any more and IF that’s the case it’s not unreasonable to assume location and ground use won’t come into relocation calculations. IF NRL are true to what they are saying it will be financial viability.

I also hope he reads the IF’s

Also take some game away to country or other cities. We use to do it in NZ.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Yet Cronulla supporters do turn up, Yesterday we got a crowd of over 15000 to see an out of town team just imagined if it was the bulldogs or St George..Why not ask the Roosters about there crowd figures wasn’t any better than the Sharks and their venue was the SFS..

15k against the GC is solid and no one can take that away. If it is replicated against Sydney clubs, you should be looking to push 20k.

But dont compare youself to other shit sydney crowds to say youre doing fine. If Cronulla management arent pushing fans to turn up, then no one will.

IF the NRL have a stadium plan and IF that stadium plan is they get all clubs in Sydney using the big new stadiums it may not be an IF any more and IF that’s the case it’s not unreasonable to assume location and ground use won’t come into relocation calculations. IF NRL are true to what they are saying it will be financial viability.

I also hope he reads the IF’s

Also take some game away to country or other cities. We use to do it in NZ.
Yeah but there's no ifs in the way the club has f**ked itself up, any reason for you to see it won't continue to do So?

We lost money by going to NZ and other cities, hence why they stopped it.
Yet they continued to lose money at home games, and why are we only finding out now?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Thats pretty factual.

We know for a fact that your catchment just doesnt have enough fan and the travel for outsider coming INTO the Shire is just too hard.

The SFS offers a middleground where Shite locals have a 30 minite trip to the stadium, sharks fans from other areas can come too and even the opposition can turn up.

As your boss has said, Shark park just isnt bringing in enough people and thats not likely to change. A central stadium is probably the only way your team will afford to stay close to home

Yeah but there's no ifs in the way the club has f**ked itself up, any reason for you to see it won't continue to do So?

We lost money by going to NZ and other cities, hence why they stopped it.
Yet they continued to lose money at home games, and why are we only finding out now?
The 16,500 figure is apparently what is needed to bridge the gap in costs of running the football department. Ie, more than break even on game day. Russell has cut costs so what is tfe new figure Dino would like to throw out there.

By the way, getting their shit together and stop being useless clowns doing stupid idiotic crap, might actually help in getting sponsors back onboard to further reduce the gap requiring increased numbers.

Bunch of no hopers really

The 16,500 figure is apparently what is needed to bridge the gap in costs of running the football department. Ie, more than break even on game day. Russell has cut costs so what is tfe new figure Dino would like to throw out there.

By the way, getting their shit together and stop being useless clowns doing stupid idiotic crap, might actually help in getting sponsors back onboard to further reduce the gap requiring increased numbers.

Bunch of no hopers really
Fair points.
Sponsorship dollars would make this discussion all null and void.
Get to it Hammer!

M2D2

Bench
Doctor. I dont give a flying f**k what you have to say on any matter, so dont bother replying to me.
I also dont live in the shire.
Once again, I said "if we got a deal" I said in the post to Zod, "no deal no move".
If This, If that.
Im telling you plain as day, we move to the SFS we are done. We would be moved OUT of Sydney.

If This, If that.
Im telling you plain as day, we move to the SFS we are done. We would be moved OUT of Sydney.
You're a soothsayer, I didn't know.
I'm sorry I don't deal with witches and warlocks.

Many have said we were done before, all of them have been wrong so far.

taipan

Referee
We know for a fact that your catchment just doesnt have enough fan and the travel for outsider coming INTO the Shire is just too hard.

The SFS offers a middleground where Shite locals have a 30 minite trip to the stadium, sharks fans from other areas can come too and even the opposition can turn up.

As your boss has said, Shark park just isnt bringing in enough people and thats not likely to change. A central stadium is probably the only way your team will afford to stay close to home

If you're going to use the catchment argument check the crowd Souths v Dragons on Thursday night.Two clubs with supposedly among the biggest supporter bases .Crowd!!! A tad over 10,000

Look at the Titan's catchment does that correlate to big crowds with a decent stadium? negatorie big brother.

My view is play one Sharks game in. Adelaide ,which should be on the money positive side.Interstate teams don't bring in crowds.

I'd handle one Shark's game at a new Allianz Stadium provided it was a 3pm Sunday shebang, with the likes of say Parramatta.
But at least 10 home games at Sharks Park. 9 at a pinch. If it meant the club either broke even or went into the black re game days.

Last edited:
Even as a Dragons Fan, I hope the sharks remain where they are and in the NRL. Playing out of Woolooware and nowhere else.

I'm completely against relocation of existing teams in Sydney unless a club is going to the wall. The management chaos of that club over the last few years is shameful, even though it got them their first title. All clubs have passionate fans and the Sharks aren't any different.

We may be fierce enemies on the field but if we lose the sharks, the Dragons lose a great rival. And the tens of thousands of Sharks fans, along with the Sutherland Shire Community, lose a great part of their identity. I hope their management right the abysmal wrongs of their predecessors. I hope the Sharks don't go to the wall. And if they prove they can be financially viable while managing their club within NRL guidelines, not the rorts of the past few season, they should absolutely stay put. The Sharks Management (aside from Barry Russell IMO) have done a great injustice to the Sharks fans and the community brand at large.

As for expansion - I'm for it but against relocating an existing Sydney team.

Rather than move a team, I believe the NRL should concertedly focus on developing enough talent to warrant further teams. Fight the AFL with their aggressive monetary intrusion into our heartlands, focus on the regional areas, continue to capitalise on the strengths in Queensland. How they successfully do that - well I'm not that kind of expert. But that's the only way I would like to see credible expansion work.

If a team like the sharks with 50 years of history and identity to be shifted to a city like Perth, it would be a complete injustice.

Let us develop enough first grade quality players over time to justify Perth having their own side, their own identity, and letting the Sharks keep theirs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like the fact that everyone has gone to "lets move to SFS" when if we move from shark park we are DONE, due to the COO going "we need x amount to run a profit on the day" rather than thinking "Why does it cost half a mill every day game to play when you own your ground, how can you be f**king up so badly".
I shouldnt be too surprised though.

So much for the benefits of owning their own ground.

puts that myth to bed! Not sure how it can cost $400k a game to host a nrl game though? Maybe this is a softening up for a future move to the new allianz?

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Even as a Dragons Fan, I hope the sharks remain where they are and in the NRL. Playing out of Woolooware and nowhere else.

I'm completely against relocation of existing teams in Sydney unless a club is going to the wall. The management chaos of that club over the last few years is shameful, even though it got them their first title. All clubs have passionate fans and the Sharks aren't any different.

We may be fierce enemies on the field but if we lose the sharks, the Dragons lose a great rival. And the tens of thousands of Sharks fans, along with the Sutherland Shire Community, lose a great part of their identity. I hope their management right the abysmal wrongs of their predecessors. I hope the Sharks don't go to the wall. And if they prove they can be financially viable while managing their club within NRL guidelines, not the rorts of the past few season, they should absolutely stay put. The Sharks Management (aside from Barry Russell IMO) have done a great injustice to the Sharks fans and the community brand at large.

As for expansion - I'm for it but against relocating an existing Sydney team.

Rather than move a team, I believe the NRL should concertedly focus on developing enough talent to warrant further teams. Fight the AFL with their aggressive monetary intrusion into our heartlands, focus on the regional areas, continue to capitalise on the strengths in Queensland. How they successfully do that - well I'm not that kind of expert. But that's the only way I would like to see credible expansion work.

If a team like the sharks with 50 years of history and identity to be shifted to a city like Perth, it would be a complete injustice.

Let us develop enough first grade quality players over time to justify Perth having their own side, their own identity, and letting the Sharks keep theirs.

How about a merger...? A Big Blue V...? Okay TIC :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
I went yesterday.

It was a fantastic celebration of Rugby League. Good atmosphere, great vibe.

If the NRL don’t want to see that then I don’t really care if we have an NRL team to be honest.

You can’t blame the nrl, it’s your own club losing money every game. If you really do need 16.5k avg to just break even you are back in strife already as that is incredibly unlikely with the current ground and historic level of fan base. Like said it’s up to the sharks fans, message is clear from your club “want to keep a club in the shire get off your backsides and buy a full membership”!

Latest posts