What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

Generalzod

Immortal
So Sharks cheat the cap by $993k in 2017-18 according to todays paper

Fined only $250k (plus $500k suspended)

No loss of points

Salary Cap reduced by $350k for 2 years which is really a forced savings plan of $700k

They should have also lost points @$25k per point thats 39 comp points in 2002 terms or 9 pts if you allow for indexing due to the salary cap going up
Do you believe everything you read in the paper..geez how many times can you tell the same story differently...

M2D2

Bench
I like the fact that everyone has gone to "lets move to SFS" when if we move from shark park we are DONE, due to the COO going "we need x amount to run a profit on the day" rather than thinking "Why does it cost half a mill every day game to play when you own your ground, how can you be f**king up so badly".
I shouldnt be too surprised though.

I like the fact that everyone has gone to "lets move to SFS" when if we move from shark park we are DONE, due to the COO going "we need x amount to run a profit on the day" rather than thinking "Why does it cost half a mill every day game to play when you own your ground, how can you be f**king up so badly".
I shouldnt be too surprised though.
I think everyone is tired of them f**king up all the time. Unless they get people in that actually have an idea what they're doing, then we're afraid the status quo will remain.
The SFS talk is back up to at least keep the team in Sydney, after that its the options that not many supporters care for.
Like I alluded to in the sharks forum, if the cub can get a deal, like other teams do, to get paid so much per game plus a cut of the crowd receipts, is that not better than a constant loss?
My personal preference is more sales of season ticket holders and keep us there, but not all supporters are as passionate as others.

M2D2

Bench
I think everyone is tired of them f**king up all the time. Unless they get people in that actually have an idea what they're doing, then we're afraid the status quo will remain.
The SFS talk is back up to at least keep the team in Sydney, after that its the options that not many supporters care for.
Like I alluded to in the sharks forum, if the cub can get a deal, like other teams do, to get paid so much per game plus a cut of the crowd receipts, is that not better than a constant loss?
My personal preference is more sales of season ticket holders and keep us there, but not all supporters are as passionate as others.
We move from Shark Park. We are toast. There is no 'staying in Sydney'. Its shark park or death.
Theres a big * on the numbers they give. Its listed in the images that shitrag produced to make the numbers seem worse than the number already provided in the past by including ALL third party contracts rather than just the third party that were used by that company and also IGNORED the fact that most of it wasnt paid.

unforgiven

Bench
We move from Shark Park. We are toast. There is no 'staying in Sydney'. Its shark park or death.

Theres a big * on the numbers they give. Its listed in the images that shitrag produced to make the numbers seem worse than the number already provided in the past by including ALL third party contracts rather than just the third party that were used by that company and also IGNORED the fact that most of it wasnt paid.
Tigers had not paid Farah a cent of his deal and still copped a punishment so no payment obviously doesn't matter.

So there's the only answer for your synopsis. More supporters need to do this as Well to keep the team there.
Others do not have the bleak outlook of "death " though.
The NRL are making changes which I'm sure they're going to carry out. Sometimes adaptations are needed to survive. All avenues must be looked at.
I'd put "You can't stop progress" but that's just a little too corny.

M2D2

Bench
So there's the only answer for your synopsis. More supporters need to do this as Well to keep the team there.
Others do not have the bleak outlook of "death " though.
The NRL are making changes which I'm sure they're going to carry out. Sometimes adaptations are needed to survive. All avenues must be looked at.
I'd put "You can't stop progress" but that's just a little too corny.
And if you look at what the prevailing theory of what will happen, Moving to SFS would not save us, the idea is to REMOVE Sydney clubs, moving to SFS would be the final nail in the coffin. You may want to say "You cant stop Progress". Moving to SFS would more mean "You cant stop the railroad".

And if you look at what the prevailing theory of what will happen, Moving to SFS would not save us, the idea is to REMOVE Sydney clubs, moving to SFS would be the final nail in the coffin. You may want to say "You cant stop Progress". Moving to SFS would more mean "You cant stop the railroad".
Move em, they deserve it

Generalzod

Immortal

Yet Cronulla supporters do turn up, Yesterday we got a crowd of over 15000 to see an out of town team just imagined if it was the bulldogs or St George..Why not ask the Roosters about there crowd figures wasn’t any better than the Sharks and their venue was the SFS..

beave

Coach
Cronulla have flagged the prospect of taking games out of the Shire – potentially to Tonga or Fiji – after conceding the club made a loss on every game at Shark Park last year.

With expansion on the NRL’s agenda, there is every chance a Sydney club could be relocated if further teams aren’t introduced.

The Sharks appear one of the most vulnerable to a move despite trumpeting a $40 million windfall from the redevelopment of its precinct.

Cronulla chairman Dino Mezzatesta defended that deal. A significant chunk will be used to extinguish debt but the agreement means there will be no future earnings from the precinct.
The Sharks ran at a loss even during their premiership year and lose money every time they open the gates at a home game.

‘‘We have to grow our brand and our membership and a potential way to do that is to explore other areas to play,’’ Mezzatesta said. ‘‘By no stretch of the imagination are we saying we’ve done that this year but it’s something we have to look at seriously. The break-even number for us is about 16,500 [at Shark Park]. It’s another way of saying that we need to get people here, that’s the push.

‘‘Last year the biggest crowd we had was the Broncos game and that was 14,800 people and then about 14,000 for the Cowboys [for Johnathan Thurston’s Sydney farewell]. [Fans from] those two teams don’t travel, they were just our people, so it can be done. We’re just saying we need to get back to getting 18,000 to 19,000 people.’’

The Sharks are just about the only Sydney side that doesn’t take games out of its region. Panthers take a home match to Bathurst, the Dragons to Mudgee, the Roosters to Gosford, Manly to Christchurch, the Rabbitohs to the Sunshine Coast and Parramatta to Darwin.

While the Sharks claim they won’t be relocated, they conceded they must now consider taking games to more profitable locations.

‘‘We just need to find an area where we can grow our brand and support the Sharks,’’ he said. ‘‘It could be Orange or Bathurst or Mudgee or interstate. ‘I’d love to explore the Pacific Islands. That would have to be heavily subsidised but we’d look at that. If the Fijian or Tongan rugby league community [were keen], it would be unreal. We would need support from both countries for ... that to happen.’’

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...g-games-to-tonga-or-fiji-20190323-p516xd.html

‘fans of those teams don’t travel well’

yeah well neither do yours to NQ so we’re f**king even merkin.

this isn’t a shot at you sharks fans either, you shouldn’t be expected to travel 2500kms to bolster our crowd figures and bottom line........and neither should we in reverse.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench

Yet Cronulla supporters do turn up, Yesterday we got a crowd of over 15000 to see an out of town team just imagined if it was the bulldogs or St George..Why not ask the Roosters about there crowd figures wasn’t any better than the Sharks and their venue was the SFS..
And still lost money

Latest posts