What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short term predictions thread: Lote saga

Since 73

First Grade
Lote wouldn't stay in union for 2 million.
The boys who went over to the dark side are all counting the days till they can come back and get their hands on the pill.
And actually play in a game that has more than one try a game.

He is a certainty for league and the Sticky/Fordham/$$$$$ factor will see him sign with us.
Anderson, JT and Hasler won't tempt him.

Bennett's a chance but they will be chasing Berrick Barnes (and will get him) soon to groom for lockie's retirement.
Lote on a 3 year deal will not allow that to happen with Hodges, hunt etc to fit in the cap as well.

spider

Coach
Since 73 said:
Lote wouldn't stay in union for 2 million.

yeah, true.

he is shying at $900K per season to remain.

if he goes to the NRL - i would think titans over us.

sticky ricky

Juniors
I think he is done with union to be honest.

So with Brisbane looking like they are out of the running that leaves Souths, Titans and us. I think South's interest was just hype and good media attention for the club as they are chasing all the big names.

Titans for location but the coach isn't proven at top grade and they will struggle to be successful. That only leaves one, it will be us. Even if he doesn't, the fact that he will consider us would never have happenned last year!

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
Interesting comment made by Sailor.
I believe the comment is in the Sharks favour as I dont think Lote is interested in Union anymore. By the sounds of things, the missus is having a large say where he goes. Stay in Sydney and alot less travelling.

Telegraph
28/2/07
Meanwhile Sailor believes former teammate Lote Tuqiri will stick with union despite talking to NRL clubs.

Sailor said that the NRL club with the best chance of luring the big Fijian back to league – his former club, Brisbane Broncos – have pulled out of the race.

"He holds his cards pretty close to his chest," said Sailor.

"I really don't know. I couldn't see him leaving the Waratahs after everything that's happened and he is well entrenched in Sydney.

"His wife is very much in this decision. I think they want to have another kid this year and him being away a lot (could affect that decision).

"The best thing Lote could do is just play good footy. At the moment he is not playing his best and I said that to him

Surely

Post Whore
I'll say sharks, there will be much joy, some will be moved to tears, 3 months into his contract the fans will realise that lote is not the messiah, simmons will make him look 2nd rate, disgruntled fans will scream about the money he is on, come on down lote kimmorely.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Surely said:
simmons will make him look 2nd rate,

hahahaha. That was funny.

A paper today has the stats for Lote to quash those falcities pruked by the telegraph yesterday about how out of form he is.

Stats show he is killing it in all key areas of his game except for tries & like most seasons, hasnt scored a try in his first 3 games. However hitups metres, line breaks, returns etc, he is killing it and one of he leaders in super 14.

the guy is not a winger, although he will play there in league. he is an extra forward when required or a flank flyer when required. hes eric grothe jr but better in all departments.

Macca

Coach
Dread said:
Which club, or code, will Lote Tuqiri end up at?

If you get it right you'll get bonus points for the predictions thread 07.

Fence sitters will be shot.

Deadline: Wednesday (no sitting it out to see how it goes...)

I already said in the predictions thread that we'd get Lote. I am more confident of that now.

Thomo.

First Grade
blacktip-reefy said:
Yep. Sure is. Between Broncs & REds now.

so are we out of the "GREAT RACE":) ?

knowing our luck he'll come to us and become injury ridden! I like the prospect of Nielsen - grooming him? - although yet to closely watch him play

Inferno

Coach
Thomo. said:
titans are out of the race too

is that true anyone???

Yep

Gold Coast pulled out of the race to sign Wallaby Lote Tuqiri, leaving just two NRL clubs interested in the barnstorming winger's signature.

Tuqiri, who is deciding whether to return to league after this year's Rugby World Cup, is now likely to choose between Super 14 franchises NSW and Queensland and NRL clubs the
Sharks and South Sydney.

The Titans released a statement saying they would not be tabling an offer.
"Gold Coast Titans managing director Michael Searle has this afternoon advised Lote

Tuqiri's business mentor Les Ross that the club will not be submitting a formal offer for the dual international's services," the statement read.

"After several productive meetings between the two parties Searle said the Jetstar Titans commitment to junior development and retention forced his hand on the matter.

"We have made a commitment to the community to invest in and develop the region's junior talent, and unfortunately securing Lote's signature could have restricted our ability to provide NRL pathways for our youth."

Tuqiri's hefty price tag - reportedly in the vicinity of $600,000 a year - has NRL clubs baulking, with the league's $4 million salary cap already forcing the Sydney Roosters to quit the race and Brisbane to all but confirm they are also unable to table an offer.

However, Rabbitohs executive chairman Peter Holmes a Court was reportedly in a meeting with Ross and NRL chief executive David Gallop, believed to be discussing options for securing the 27-year-old's switch.

The Sharks have also begun investigating their third-party financing options in an attempt to come up with an offer for Tuqiri.

The Australian Rugby Union is expected to table a three-year $2.4 million offer this week, complete with a deadline for Tuqiri's signature.
Wallaby star Matt Giteau said rugby union could not afford to lose Tuqiri.

"He's obviously pretty important and not just because it's a World Cup year this year, I think for years to come," Giteau told the Nine Network.

"He's been playing really well and he's consistently a good player for the wallabies and I don't think they can afford to lose him."

One time rugby target Mark Gasnier said he'd understand if Tuqiri was getting bored with the 15-man game.

Tuqiri hasn't given any indication he is bored, but speculation is mounting that the Australian Super 14 sides' try drought is turning league-raised backs off the game.

Asked if limited touches of the footy could be a factor in Tuqiri's decision, St George Illawarra star Gasnier said: "I think that's the reality of it, I know that was definitely a concern of mine that I spoke to many coaches about when I was thinking of the transition."

http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=360258

Since 73

First Grade
Wallaby star Matt Giteau said rugby union could not afford to lose Tuqiri.
These guys are worried.
Union has never been at such a low as it is now.
The Reds are the usual story -useless.
I defy anyone to name more than 5 players in either the Waratahs or Brumbies, and the Western Force? - might as well be a team on the moon. Who cares if they win lose or draw?

Connelly has no answers.
There is no other team in any world sport who can match the wallabies for inhuries to key players such as Latham, Larkham, Waugh and the other blokes whose names nobody cares to remeber.
Plus the loss of Sailor and the huge media coverage Mat rogers will have. After every game he will gush about how happy he is to be back in a sport where he touches the ball.

You bet Giteau is worried.
They have always played second fiddle to League and now both AFL and Soccer have leap frogged both codes.
Basically, of the big 5 - soccer, AFL, cricket, league and union - union is lagging way behind and practically stalled.

The wash-up to this ramble?
Lote is out of there.

Surely

Post Whore
Since 73 said:
These guys are worried.
Union has never been at such a low as it is now.
The Reds are the usual story -useless.
I defy anyone to name more than 5 players in either the Waratahs or Brumbies, and the Western Force? - might as well be a team on the moon. Who cares if they win lose or draw?

Connelly has no answers.
There is no other team in any world sport who can match the wallabies for inhuries to key players such as Latham, Larkham, Waugh and the other blokes whose names nobody cares to remeber.
Plus the loss of Sailor and the huge media coverage Mat rogers will have. After every game he will gush about how happy he is to be back in a sport where he touches the ball.

You bet Giteau is worried.
They have always played second fiddle to League and now both AFL and Soccer have leap frogged both codes.
Basically, of the big 5 - soccer, AFL, cricket, league and union - union is lagging way behind and practically stalled.

The wash-up to this ramble?
Lote is out of there.

You got 5 already 73, come on you only need one more

El Coconuto

Bench
Prediction: He'll announce he's joing Cronulla after round 10 of the Super 14's, but before the season ends...

Latest posts