What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Australia Play In World Cup

Dragon David

First Grade
V'Landys has KO'ed Australia from going to the world cup. There would be many players wanting to play but V'landy's said it is a Covid thing and players welfare/health should come first. It is probably more that there isn't much money to be made, if any at all. The Pommies are not happy and so to is James Graham.

Wayne Bennett says it's double standards -
“It’s a complete double standard. If a player wants to play and the club says he can’t but if a player doesn’t want to play and the game says you’ve got to play. There’s got to be a balance there.”

I think Australian players who want to go should at least be given the chance to. Likewise, NZ players should also have that chance same as the other players from Tonga, Fiji, New Guinea, Samoa etc.

The players who go can at least add this to their CV.

I remember the time that the World Cup and the Test Matches were the games that enthralled us keeping us up during the cold nights watching games live. It used to be something to look forward to.

What do you guys think?

Illusion

Bench
V'Landys has KO'ed Australia from going to the world cup. There would be many players wanting to play but V'landy's said it is a Covid thing and players welfare/health should come first. It is probably more that there isn't much money to be made, if any at all. The Pommies are not happy and so to is James Graham.

Wayne Bennett says it's double standards -
“It’s a complete double standard. If a player wants to play and the club says he can’t but if a player doesn’t want to play and the game says you’ve got to play. There’s got to be a balance there.”

I think Australian players who want to go should at least be given the chance to. Likewise, NZ players should also have that chance same as the other players from Tonga, Fiji, New Guinea, Samoa etc.

The players who go can at least add this to their CV.

I remember the time that the World Cup and the Test Matches were the games that enthralled us keeping us up during the cold nights watching games live. It used to be something to look forward to.

What do you guys think?
Not sure mate , but what I do know is ..... the world has gone crazy since the Covid , protests about wearing masks , about restrictions , lock downs ....... we have a lot more to worry about than a World Cup ..... Either way don't care if they play or not ..... Just my thoughts ......

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
If we can go to the Olympics where there is immense chances of exposure within a bubble then we are being contradictory by not going to the WC.

No doubt people are probably thinking that the amount of players attending the WC will only see more misbehaviour, ignoring rules etc and would place next years domestic comp in jeopardy.

PVL not interested in anything other than what happens in Australia.

I feel sorry for those players whose moment to represent at the highest level is being denied them.

Complete show of self interest by the NRL hierarchy IMO

Dragon David

First Grade
If we can go to the Olympics where there is immense chances of exposure within a bubble then we are being contradictory by not going to the WC.

No doubt people are probably thinking that the amount of players attending the WC will only see more misbehaviour, ignoring rules etc and would place next years domestic comp in jeopardy.

PVL not interested in anything other than what happens in Australia.

I feel sorry for those players whose moment to represent at the highest level is being denied them.

Complete show of self interest by the NRL hierarchy IMO
Agreed. If our Olympians can represent Australia in Tokyo, then why can't our NRL players represent Australia in England as well us the NZderrs, Samoans, Tongans and Fijians players who are currently playing for the NRL Clubs. Ivan Cleary is happy not to have representation of the Islander players such as To'o, Luai, Kikau, Chrichton etc at the World Cup and he is all for not going. 75% of players want to go though.

Puff

First Grade
No. The competition in my opinion is a stupid waste of time trying to achieve something that is never going to happen at a competitive enough level. It would be like the NFL holding a World Cup, and we would look at them like hey were stupid. This is very similar.

Yes play it in safer times. Putting people at risk for this is stupid.

Mjab

Juniors
Players and staff should decide and select from those who want to make themselves available