What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Darren Lockyer's SL Test's be recognised?

Should they be recognised

• Yes

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 57.7%

• Total voters

hellteam

First Grade
Yeah, you're right. Not like any of these blokes ever played rep footy before or after the Superleage war (that Andrew Johns bloke ... what a joke!):

Tim Brasher, Mark Coyne, Paul McGregor, Terry Hill, Robbie O'Davis, Brad Fittler, Geoff Toovey, Paul Harragon, Andrew Johns, Mark Carroll, Steve Menzies, Gary Larson, Billy Moore. Reserves: Matt Sing, John Simon, Nik Kosef, Dean Pay

It's certainly not like ARL players won the World Cup in '95 against full strength NZ and England sides. OH WAI...

Lockyer (Brisbane)
Mullins (Canberra)
Ettingshausen (Cronulla)
Girdler (Penrith)
Sailor (Brisbane)
Daley (Canberra)
Gower (Penrith)
Stevens (Cronulla)
Walters (North Queensland)
Thorn (Brisbane)
Adamson (Penrith)
Tallis (Brisbane)
Smith (Brisbane)

Substitutes:
Kearns (Perth),
Greenhill (Cronulla),
Nagas (Canberra),
Kimmorley (Hunter).

There's the Super League team. Looks like an Australian team to me. Looks way better then that average ARL team. The 1997 Broncos would have beaten that ARL team easily.

As people have said, he played for Australia. So did all those others. It should be recognised, just like the Broncos premiership win.

RL1908

Bench
If they are recorded as tests for Australia, then to my mind, that would be re-writing history, because he didn't represent the Australian governing body.

I'm sorry if you don't want to hear it, but the Aust SL body was the RLIF recognised official RL body in/of Australia.

The ARL was not affiliated to the RLIF at that tme - everyone else in RL world was, including the Aust SL.

That isn't me re-writing history - it is a fact.

That (perhaps) there was more support within Aust for the ARL than the Aust SL in 1997 doesn't change anything.

It's also indisputable that the ARL granted Test status to Kangaroo games against Super League teams (1995), and to games between the Kangaroos and "national" teams that the ARL put together (Fiji, PNG, "Rest of the World") - there was no one else involved in those 3 "Tests" other than the ARL.

In comparison, the 1997 Aust SL team played against other national teams organised by those nations (RFL and NZRL), and the IRLF and the other nations all recognised the Aust SL organisation as the official body.

bender

Juniors
Lockyer (Brisbane)
Mullins (Canberra)
Ettingshausen (Cronulla)
Girdler (Penrith)
Sailor (Brisbane)
Daley (Canberra)
Gower (Penrith)
Stevens (Cronulla)
Walters (North Queensland)
Thorn (Brisbane)
Adamson (Penrith)
Tallis (Brisbane)
Smith (Brisbane)

Substitutes:
Kearns (Perth),
Greenhill (Cronulla),
Nagas (Canberra),
Kimmorley (Hunter).

There's the Super League team. Looks like an Australian team to me. Looks way better then that average ARL team. The 1997 Broncos would have beaten that ARL team easily.

As people have said, he played for Australia. So did all those others. It should be recognised, just like the Broncos premiership win.

Just looking at those teams, with his constant selection as hooker instead of halfback, was Andrew Johns the 5th choice Australian Halfback, behind Toovey, Kimmorley, Gower and John Simon? Actually, if Allan Langer was still playing, he might have been 6th choice (think he was in england). That is absolutely amazing how opinion has changed over time. It also shows an astonishing amount of depth in the game back then. I dont think we have that many good halfback options today!