What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Israel Folau be moved to Left Centre?

Country Bronco

Juniors
There's plenty of criticism around at the moment for Steve Michaels. The most suitable change would be to move Israel to left centre. Would this be a good direction for the club and for Israel? Your views please.

I think it has its merits. Israel would develop a way to attack the left hand side and still take the high ball. Other teams would struggle with having hodges on one side, folau on the other. Israel would probably take a couple of weeks defensively to get it right but it would be worth it. Also you could drop michaels and bring in yow yeh.

Talanexor

Juniors
He's too expensive to sit out on the wing. Unless all of the attacking set plays come his way. Leave him with Hodges - that way you've got two great finishers on one side of the field and can direct most of your attack over there.

aussies1st

Staff member
Needs to be at centre, he was awesome on Friday and needs to be there fulltime.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yes and Michaels can piss off for good at the same time. Two positives in one move!

Talanexor

Juniors
Yes and Michaels can piss off for good at the same time. Two positives in one move!

Lol - and people were talking up his Origin chances about a month ago. I agree that Folau is a better centre, but is he more effective when he's got Winterstein outside him? As opposed to playing next to Hodges?

Lycon79

Juniors
Lol - and people were talking up his Origin chances about a month ago. I agree that Folau is a better centre, but is he more effective when he's got Winterstein outside him? As opposed to playing next to Hodges?

I think he would be having Hodges inside him he doesn't get early ball very often and very rarley has room to move put him on the other side and give him a month or so and he'll become the best left centre in the game has the potential to be better than Inglis IMO

Dazzat

First Grade
Michaels has had a few below par games ... coming back from a major knee injury. What a surprise!

There are some people on these forums that would have fit well within the French Revolution ... make a mistake and "off with your head!". It's a very shallow way of looking a team sport.

Often these people fail to acknowledge a player's strengths ... for example in Michael's case, his defence which is up with the best in the league.

These people spend their lives trying to sound like an authority; when in fact they are just dribblers.

lockyno1

Post Whore
If his defence is his best thing, he is screwed as there is no surprise where most tries are let in...through his centre/wing position!

DeeJ

Bench
Folau scored half his tries on the wing anyway, so there's no harm keeping him out there. No way should Hodges move to the left for him and I think Michaels will find his form of early last year again.

Billigan

Juniors
as i said before move folau to right centre tand push hodges to left centre. hodges can ajust alot better better and quicker than folau can. This should be the backline a i posted in another thread.

1.Hunt
2.Yow yeh
3. hodges
4. Folau
5. Winterstein
6.Lockyer
7.Wallace

Ghoulies

Bench
God no, Billigan. Hodges has been tried at left centre at international level, and he proved to be ineffective. Not only was his right foot step + left arm fend combo made useless, but he was a weak link defensively too. Brent Tate is the same; neither can make the adjustment because neither have a left foot step.

I agree with what Gould said on the Roast. For the sake of Folau's long term development, he should be played at left centre. IMO his initial form would drop considerably as he adjusts, but eventually it will pay dividends having Hodges on one side and Folau on the other.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i'm a fan of michaels and was happy we kept him over boyd (although look how that turned out..) but his form this year has been pretty average. ball handling has been a problem and he's making some pretty stupid moves in attack. right now i think he needs time to find some form and confidence in the qld cup.

i would be moving folau to the left to see how he handles it, give him several games to adjust. having folau and hodges on either side of the field gives you two major attacking weapons on either side rather then stacking them on the same side. bring yow yeh up outside hodges

Eon

Juniors
Yea it would be nice to have two great weapons like Folau and Hodges on either side but would Folau want to play centre that is also something you need to look at... im sure he would and has played centre for melbourne although that was right centre... but yea i do think if you give him about a month to adjust he should be fine... would be a pretty good combination between Folau and Winterstein would be try central... then Hodges and either Micheals or Yow Yeh on the other side... damn

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
i'm a fan of michaels and was happy we kept him over boyd (although look how that turned out..) but his form this year has been pretty average. ball handling has been a problem and he's making some pretty stupid moves in attack. right now i think he needs time to find some form and confidence in the qld cup.

i would be moving folau to the left to see how he handles it, give him several games to adjust. having folau and hodges on either side of the field gives you two major attacking weapons on either side rather then stacking them on the same side. bring yow yeh up outside hodges

Couldn't agree more with this comment.

for example in Michael's case, his defence which is up with the best in the league.

Jamie Lyon made him look second rate in defense. If you believe Michaels is really that good then you should be ok with him getting some confidence back in the QLD cup.

jimmythehand

Juniors
why on earth would you want to break up a combination like hodges and folau that could win you a premiership on its own? The logical move is to have them both playing centre, seeing them together in action I think it is a genius move from Henjak.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Couldn't agree more with this comment.

Jamie Lyon made him look second rate in defense. If you believe Michaels is really that good then you should be ok with him getting some confidence back in the QLD cup.

dude you're mixing my post up with Dazzats, i never said anything about his defense, i actually get nervous when teams run at him...

Latest posts