What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Jammie be a loud to play for panthers?

Should Jamie be aloud to play for Panthers?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Yeah! and pigs might fly

• As if

• No, No way, Get lost, not in his wildest dreams

• Total voters

Redback71

First Grade
should Jamie be alowed to go Wee Wee all the way home and play for the Wee Wa Panthers. :lol:

thedux

Juniors
Not if Parra think their is an outside chance that he may still have an inkling of desire to compete at the highest level which seems to be the case. Even his parents want him to stay at Parra. It seems that only the people of Wee Waa want him to return home; obviously for their own selfish reasons. How many have his best interests and future at heart?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We cannot possibly makea decision, as we have not been privvy to any discussions between Eels and Lyon.

We can only guess,or hope.

Eels Dude

Coach
It said in the paper today that the people of Wee Waa are organising a petition demanding Parramatta release Lyon from his contract. I don't think they understand they seriousness of the situation.

Redback71

First Grade
somehow i think even if he does come back and play our joy may only be short lived cause when his contract is up in 06 hell be out of here so fast youll swear his pants were on fire.

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't know about that. 2 and a half years is a long time and he'll be a lot older and wiser at that stage. Hopefully if he does decide to come back then he'll have his passion for the game and Parramatta reignited.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Eels Dude said:
It said in the paper today that the people of Wee Waa are organising a petition demanding Parramatta release Lyon from his contract. I don't think they understand they seriousness of the situation.

All 2,000 of them??

Fitzy will be shitting himself.

Briza

Juniors
Why cant he play with his mates, It's what HE wants to do!

Wee Waa people to petition to get Lyon on the field

15 April 2004

The people of Wee Waa - all 2,000 of them - will be asked to sign a petition in an attempt to convince Parramatta that disillusioned former Test centre Jamie Lyon should be allowed to play in the Group 4 competition.

Dick Crutcher, the chairman of the Wee Waa Panthers, claimed today it would be in the Eels' best interests to let Lyon retain his match fitness and skill levels by playing in the country this year rather than "sitting on his backside" on the sidelines.

Lyon, who made the stunning announcement after round one that he was going to quit the NRL, was told by the Eels yesterday they were going to ban him from playing for his local side.

Crutcher said he was surprised and saddened by the Eels' hardline stance.

"We'll get some kind of petition up and running around the town, get as many people as we can to sign it and send it off to Parramatta and see if they might have a change of heart," said Crutcher.

"I can understand where Parramatta is coming from, I really can, but I think it can only help them in the long run if they let Jamie keep playing this year.

"Why can't they say to him, `Right, Jamie, we'll let you go and play in Wee Waa if you guarantee us you'll come back for the start of 2005'.

"I just don't think he will play for Parramatta this year. I really believe he's made his mind up to stay here for 12 months, whether Parramatta lets him play for us or not.

"If he's going to be here, why not let him play and stay in good nick?

"If he does have 12 months off and then goes back to Sydney, he's going to have had a long time out of the game and it will take him that extra bit longer to get back to his best."

It was thought the Eels would allow Lyon to play for the the north-west NSW town on the proviso he didn't turn out for another NRL club, but the Eels are holding the 22-year-old to his six-figure contract.

Now it's Parramatta or no-one for Lyon ... unless the Eels do a backflip.

Crutcher said the struggling Country Rugby League would reap huge benefits from having a player of Lyon's class playing in Group 4.

"The crowds at our games would jump by 20 to 30 per cent at least and the figures for all the club's we play away against would go up as well," said Crutcher.

"It would be great for us.

"The kids all want to see Jamie Lyon play. Whenever they see him it's `There's Jamie Lyon, there's Jamie Lyon'. They just want to watch him play. There would be a huge amount of interest.

"We're really surprised and saddened by Parramatta's decision. I know they've paid huge dollars for him and they were probably hinging their premiership hopes on him and a few of the others, so it's a massive blow to them.

"But rugby league is missing out, really, if Jamie Lyon isn't allowed to play at all."

El Diablo

Post Whore
Briza said:

If he wanted to play with his mates then he shouldn't of signed a contract. Is that really hard to understand :?

Briza

Juniors
El Duque said:
Briza said:

If he wanted to play with his mates then he shouldn't of signed a contract. Is that really hard to understand :?

I'd understand if it was an NRL side but it's bush footy, He is obviously not coming back this year, so why not let him play at least he will stay fit and footy ready.

Dont be surprised if he tells the Eels to get Stuffed and Never play's for Parra again.

Eelectrica

Referee
The problem with granting Lyon his wish is that it would set a dangerous precedent.

We'd potentially have people coming and going as they please and the coach wouldn't have a clue who was available to be selected. The team would be the first 17 people to show up at the ground. A far fetched example I know but just illustrates the point.

Briza

Juniors
From What I have heard, Jamie has been with Parra since he was 16 yo - I think he deserves a bit more consideration/Leniency than the Ave Player.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Briza said:
From What I have heard, Jamie has been with Parra since he was 16 yo - I think he deserves a bit more consideration/Leniency than the Ave Player.

He signed a bloody contract and if he pisses off he's the one that stuffed Parra around. We've let go players that could've been kept yet we should give him leniency??

He's been given enough leniency. How many other jobs can you just walk out on without getting in the shit??

PB

Bench
El Duque said:
Eels Dude said:

All 2,000 of them??

Fitzy will be shitting himself.

:lol:

By the look of this poll, you could take a petition around Para Stadium on game day and get 5000 signatures from Parra fans (more important than Wee Waa folk), who say "don't let him play!"

Eels Dude

Coach
Briza said:

Lyon, who made the stunning announcement after round one that he was going to quit the NRL, was told by the Eels yesterday they were going to ban him from playing for his local side.

This so called 'ban' is already part of his contract, all Parramatta are doing are enforcing it.

Briza said:
"I can understand where Parramatta is coming from, I really can, but I think it can only help them in the long run if they let Jamie keep playing this year.

"Why can't they say to him, `Right, Jamie, we'll let you go and play in Wee Waa if you guarantee us you'll come back for the start of 2005'.

Why would he necessarily come back to the Parramatta club in 2005? It seems Jamie wants out of Sydney completely not just for this year. What if Parramatta release him on that condition and in a years time he decides, 'Hey I think i'll stay in Wee Waa after all'. Wouldn't be the first time he's broken a contract.

Briza said:
"We're really surprised and saddened by Parramatta's decision. I know they've paid huge dollars for him and they were probably hinging their premiership hopes on him and a few of the others, so it's a massive blow to them.

That's exactly, Parramatta have payed huge dollars for him. In order to keep Lyon we've lost players like Adam Mogg, Willie Tonga, and Pat Richards who could all be playing in his right centre position at the moment.

The bottom line is Parramatta have to take a firm stance in this issue, they've kept up their side of the bargain and have had to make plenty of sacrifices because of it. Jamie shouldn't have signed a 4 year deal if he was having doubts about his future. He cannot have everything his own way.