What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Knights release Carney for GB

Frederick

Staff member
Carney Committed to Knights

Saturday, May 27, 2006 - Newcastle Knights

Great Britain Vice Captain, Brian Carney has accepted the Newcastle Knights decision not to release him for next month’s Test against New Zealand.

The Knights declined the request to release its highest try scorer after the star winger indicated he wasn’t prepared to stand down for any club matches.

“Had this been part of the Tri-Nations series it would have been viewed in a different light given Brian’s decision not to miss any club games.” said Knights CEO, Ken Conway.

The schedule required Carney to depart for London after the Knights play the Sharks in Round 15, returning in time for Round 16 against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

“The NRL is more demanding on the body than I imagined and I feel I have a responsibility to repay Newcastle for the opportunity the club has given me,” said Carney.

The decision is in line with other NRL clubs refusing to release their Kiwi Internationals.

“To travel around the world and play three elite games in one week would take a month to recover from,” said Mr Conway.

Carney spoke to Great Britain coach, Brian Noble last night to confirm his unavailability.

“I know Brian well and he fully understands why the Knights made this decision,” he said.
LINK

Nugby

Juniors
Considering New Zealand will be missig every single one of their NRL players, I don't think it's a big thing that they're missing a winger. It's pathetic if they're having a cry.

Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
Wouldn't this mean all the Kiwi NRL players should be released too??

if the nz coach asked too, yes. jeremy smith is going unsure about others. but i think bluey wants to see the uk players.

Danish

Referee
no.2_lukeburt said:
RLIF - take a leaf out of the book of FIFA and get off your arses and do something abt the NRL and ESL not releasing players on a regular basis

A leaf out of FIFAs book??

I could have sworn that just about all of our European players are never released from club duties to play in Socceroo matches..... (world cup qualifiers excluded of course).

It should be a clause in all contracts that international duties overrule club unless at finals time (unlikely to the extreme). City/Country and SOO are a different kettle of fish however.

Iafeta

Referee
Razor said:
Great Britain is classing it as a Test and will credit their players with a test cap. However New Zealand is not classing it as a test. To be a test match in the record books both countries playing must be classing it as a Test. Only 1 team is.

Completely wrong.

http://nzrl.sitesuite.ws/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=12519

TEST STATUS CLARIFIED

[FONT=verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NZRL Chairman Selwyn Bennett has clarified the NZRL position with regard to the upcoming match between Great Britain and New Zealand, following media reports suggesting the match had been "downgraded" to non-Test status.
"We are happy to clarify that the Great Britain vs New Zealand on June 27 2006 is a full Test match" says Bennett adding that "any player who features in the XXXX Test will be credited with a Test appearance in our official records and will be treated as full New Zealand internationals".
There has been no change to recognition of the XXXX Test as a full international by the Rugby League International Federation.
While there had been some early anxitey expressed about the availability of NRL players for the clash, Bennett is confident that the number and quality of players in the Northern Hemisphere will ensure this New Zealand side will be very competitive.
"We haven't completely ruled out the possibility of having NRL players in the side, but the effect of the playing schedules and time zone differences will obviously be a major consideration" says Bennett
"In reality this has always been the same issure we've faced with mid season Tests in the Southern Hemisphere, except that the problems are now in reverse with NRL players unlikely to be available"
"We are hopeful that these mid season clashes at both ends of the world will not only become annual fixtures, but that the NRL and SuperLeague schedules may one day allow for a meaningful international calendar where ALL players are available"
"Any confusion or anxiety expressed in earlier statements was probably borne more out of frustration at past problems with availability of all players from the NRL and SuperLeague
[/FONT]

edabomb

First Grade
douglasallen91 said:
if the nz coach asked too, yes. jeremy smith is going unsure about others. but i think bluey wants to see the uk players.

Well then will New Zealand get all their ESL players for the Anzac test next year. The answer to that is surely no, so I don't see why GB should get Carney.

Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
Well then will New Zealand get all their ESL players for the Anzac test next year. The answer to that is surely no, so I don't see why GB should get Carney.

how old are you??????? mummy he won't share so hes not getting any of mine.

while international football stays in the gutter.

nqboy

First Grade
I say No. What goes around, comes around.

It's a shame for IRL but that's the fault of the RLIF not the Knights.

The Roosters decision to release Moz is commendable, but not a precedent.

sixtynine

Juniors
Carney should be released as should every player selected. It will help develop international rugby league.

Latest posts