What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Canberra Raiders make a play for coach Wayne Bennett?

BadnMean

Juniors
There is the old tale that Don Furner Snr let Wayne out of the last year of his Raiders coaching contract so that Wayne could head North to coach the newly formed Broncos. With the carryover over the years and decades that the joke between the old pals was that Wayne "owed" the Raiders a year.

He understands changes in the game better than Ricky. He's done a great job handling Latrell and all the media hoo ha & pressure around that for player & team.

I'd have him for sure but no one at the Raiders thinks there is even the slightest chance Ricky will be replaced. We are kind of just praying he gets some good assistants back in to run the attack & modernise his game plans/bench use.

BadnMean

Juniors
Nothing can fix Canberra being an unappealing as f**k place to live.

And yet the population keeps growing & it has the tightest rental market in the country...

It's got it's good points. Hard sell to some players, yes. Good fit for guys from the country or who want a good place to raise a family.

davi

Juniors
I actually think Wayne Bennett would be a better fit at the Titans. Raiders probably need a rebuild while Titans have most of the pieces in place just need someone to put all together.

I actually don't mind Justin Holbrook though, but if he falters next year then questions will be asked. Titans would be getting a lot more heat from the QLD media if the Broncos weren't stinking up. They have been a real disappointment considering the expectations after signing David Fifita and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui.

I'm not sure Bennett would do it though. The Titans probably couldn't meet his salary demands.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Does Canberra want to spend 10 seasons post Bennett never finishing higher than 12th.
If so then yes Canberra should make a play for him.

The only thing that Bennett is guaranteed to bring to a club is absolute failure after he leaves, just as St George, Newcastle and Brisbane.

blaza88z

Coach
I'm not sure what Wayne is thinking but I am pretty certain he had planned something involving the Broncos next year but it seems the club has made it quite clear they've moved on past having him in the organisation and it makes sense with the timing of his little digs here and there at the club in media conferences as of late

If Wayne wants a job next season, anything is possible at this stage

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I'm not sure what Wayne is thinking but I am pretty certain he had planned something involving the Broncos next year but it seems the club has made it quite clear they've moved on past having him in the organisation and it makes sense with the timing of his little digs here and there at the club in media conferences as of late

If Wayne wants a job next season, anything is possible at this stage
With Ikin there I think the last person that will end up at the Broncos would be Bennett

blaza88z

Coach
With Ikin there I think the last person that will end up at the Broncos would be Bennett

Yes, that's what I was saying

He could end up anywhere next year but it more than likely won't be at Brisbane despite making it clear he wants to move back to Brisbane

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wayne is hanging out for the announcement of the expansion club I reckon . Can guarantee he is going there if they decide to add a new Brisbane club. If not then will be interesting to see where he ends up. Maybe he will be happy with a SOO coach gig and some sort of development role with the NRL in Queensland.

Does Canberra want to spend 10 seasons post Bennett never finishing higher than 12th.
If so then yes Canberra should make a play for him.

The only thing that Bennett is guaranteed to bring to a club is absolute failure after he leaves, just as St George, Newcastle and Brisbane.
That would be a couple seasons less than compared to the recovery from stickys mess.

Latest posts