What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should The NRL Offer Money To Sydney Clubs To Relocate?

Should the NRL Offer Sydney Clubs Money To Relocate?

• Total voters
I'd like to see the NRL make the offer to all clubs.

You could see them offering certain amounts of money to move to certain areas.

For instance if the NRL really wanted a team on the Gold Coast....they might offer more then they would for a team that wanted to move to Wellington.

But I'd want it to be an open offer thats avalible to any club in the competition.

siv

First Grade
Relocation money will only work if a club goes into administration

When football club members no longer have a say

Only the Bears had a proper plan for relocation

The only other real relocations ie directed by HQ
were moving
- Newtown to Campbelltown
- moving Wests from Ashfield-Lidcombe to Campbelltown

The other relocation strategies have been more like "takeovers"
- St George takeover of Illawarra
- Easts takeover of the CC & Norths

Moving the Perth Reds to Melbourne was a sort of relocation as well

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
What about we wait for Uncle Nick to kick the bucket. Easts would have to then rely on their gates and fans of which they have neither and they can go back to ground sharing Henson.

Diesel

Referee
The NRL needs to decide where they want Sydney teams and draw boundaries. We may find what we have now is optimal and nothing needs to change.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So what will be the right amount to entice a club to relocate???

Well we pay them $13million to be where they are so I guess you’d have to be looking at $20mill a year plus for X amount of years. I think if the nrl offered in the region of $5-7million extra a year for a guaranteed 7-10 year period then it would be tempting for a club in dire straights, but tbf it would be cheaper for the nrl to just add another club than do this.

flippikat

Bench
The NRL needs to decide where they want Sydney teams and draw boundaries. We may find what we have now is optimal and nothing needs to change.

A boundary review is well overdue. Every area of Sydney needs a clear pathway from junior league to NRL.

To have districts such as North Sydney that have feeder relationships which change on the whim of NRL clubs is not ideal. Ideally the area should be turned over to a top-tier club and locked in.

The question needs to be asked "How should Sydney be represented in the NRL, and what boundaries should the NRL Sydney clubs have for their junior and lower-grade senior teams & competitions?"

Marlins

Juniors
I still think manly should half relocate to the Central Coast. Take four games there a year, Knights, Roosters etc. have a feeder team come from Gosford, try and really own everything North of Sydney to The Central Coast.
Manly Central Coast Sea Eagles.

flippikat

Bench
I still think manly should half relocate to the Central Coast. Take four games there a year, Knights, Roosters etc. have a feeder team come from Gosford, try and really own everything North of Sydney to The Central Coast.
Manly Central Coast Sea Eagles.

I've got mixed feelings on that.

While having one team covering the north of harbour & central coast would potentially be a powerhouse, we've been there before with the Northern Eagles and it failed badly. Admittedly it was a victim of some petty infighting & lukewarm engagement.

I was the NRL I'd want a strong commitment from the Sea-eagles to making it work - and they would probably have to base themselves in Gosford, with 1-2 games TOPS per year at Brookvale or North Sydney Oval. Kinda like how the Bulldogs have 1 or 2 Belmore games per year. The club would play heaps of 'away games in Sydney every year - sell them as "away Sydney membership" packages for fans from Manly/North Shore.

T-Boon

Coach
I've got mixed feelings on that.

While having one team covering the north of harbour & central coast would potentially be a powerhouse, we've been there before with the Northern Eagles and it failed badly. Admittedly it was a victim of some petty infighting & lukewarm engagement.

I was the NRL I'd want a strong commitment from the Sea-eagles to making it work - and they would probably have to base themselves in Gosford, with 1-2 games TOPS per year at Brookvale or North Sydney Oval. Kinda like how the Bulldogs have 1 or 2 Belmore games per year. The club would play heaps of 'away games in Sydney every year - sell them as "away Sydney membership" packages for fans from Manly/North Shore.

CCM Sea Eagles

Latest posts