What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Panthers be relocated to Gosford?

OVP

Coach
Wheelsy said:
Except for the Roosters. Joking OVP...

Sorry Mr Pig Ignorant. We OWN the Eastern Suburbs. Have you cretins ANY IDEA how much money that involves ? No you wouldnt, cletus, you will ALWAYS be our poor cousin :lol:

Dont believe me ? Go take a look at the Easts Leagues Balance Sheets. Being a Souffs clown, i bet you wouldnt even know what that means :(

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
OVP said:
Sorry Mr Pig Ignorant. We OWN the Eastern Suburbs. Have you cretins ANY IDEA how much money that involves ? No you wouldnt, cletus, you will ALWAYS be our poor cousin :lol:

Dont believe me ? Go take a look at the Easts Leagues Balance Sheets. Being a Souffs clown, i bet you wouldnt even know what that means :(

If Easts Leagues encompasses the entire Eastern Suburbs then sure.

Poor cousin? Rich older brother.

And find a new sig. Fittler is yesterdays hero.

Chachi

Bench
Walt Flanigan said:
Nice use of sarcasm by the way Chachi (I know I sound like Captain obvious pointing that out but apparently it is required).

Is that a re-worded article about the Raiders? Sounds very familiar.
Nah man, it's just a summary of the sort of crap we hear at the beginning of every year. I also like the fact that the points used to defend the Panthers also apply to the Raiders.

Must have hit a raw nerve with a few people! :lol:

BTW good luck to the Panthers (they need it), but there is obviously no way they are going to be relocated.

First of all let me admit that I missed the sarcasm the first time I read the thread.
Secondly let me point out that I do no support the relocation of the Raiders.

Having said that, on reflection your sarcastic post is pretty lame. For every single one of your cases Canberra suffers from that particular affliction in a worse way then Penrith. In effect, you've manage to prove that Canberra is a better candidate for relocation then Penrith. Congratulations.

ozzie

Bench
S.S.T.I.D said:
f**k him.
I tell you what we will go and have a beer together at the SOUFFS leagues club and bury the hatchet. Whoops forgot you haven't got one - well lets make it the Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club, or the Berkley Sportsclub or the Kingswood club...

Raider Azz

Bench
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
First of all let me admit that I missed the sarcasm the first time I read the thread.
Secondly let me point out that I do no support the relocation of the Raiders.

Having said that, on reflection your sarcastic post is pretty lame. For every single one of your cases Canberra suffers from that particular affliction in a worse way then Penrith. In effect, you've manage to prove that Canberra is a better candidate for relocation then Penrith. Congratulations.
how so?

1) Have just signed a long-term sponsorship deal
2) Have some of the most talented younger players in the league
3) Have gotten rid of a lot of the "dead wood" we've had in recent seasons
3) Are a one town team

I'm failing to see why we're a better candidate...

Chachi

Bench
Azz, we're a better candidate to relocate simply because a lot of people outside of Canberra, and particularly in Sydney (eg Phil Gould and clearly a fair few people on this forum) are obsessed with having a go at us. Don't worry about the real facts - they're irrelevant to the argument!

I like Sydney, but I'd never want to live there. It's just funny that people like to dump sh*t on us because we're an easy target and it avoids them having to worry about the problems in their own backyard. The more negative press places like Canberra get, the less liklihood teams with real issues like Newcastle, Canterbury, StGeorge/Illawarra, Penrith and Easts etc have of losing players to us.

It's ironic that the one club that was "up the creek" at the beginning of the year is actually looking to a positive future unlike the pre-season "powerhouses" that are in real turmoil and are losing players left right and centre. Ignorance is bliss.

Anyway, I'll be enjoying the "minus 10" temperatures today with the 15 other fans at the ground as we take on the Eels. Afterwards I might head down to Parliament House because there's nothing else to do here - all the while wishing I could just pop down to the beach like everyone in sunny Sydney does in winter. ;-)

And by the way, I certainly have no intention of "necking myself" in the mean time.

Raider Azz said:
1) Have just signed a long-term sponsorship deal

With a trade union! This is after struggling to get a sponsor in previous years.

Raider Azz said:
2) Have some of the most talented younger players in the league

3) Have gotten rid of a lot of the "dead wood" we've had in recent seasons

3) Are a one town team

Good for them. I don't believe I suggested any of these things are untrue.

Raider Azz said:
I'm failing to see why we're a better candidate...

The point is simple. Chachi was trying to demonstrate that the arguments used against Canberra can also be used against Penrith and therefore make the point that:

1. If one is a candidate for relocation then so is the other.
2. Since nobody expects Penrith to relocate then Canberra shouldn't relocate either.

As I already said I don't think the Raiders should be relocated. However, as a device to prove that they shouldn't be relocated this is pretty poor because instead of showing the silliness of some of the arguments (which indeed some of them are, others are more serious causes for concern) Chachi has highlighted how Canberra suffers from certain problems worse than other clubs.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
With a trade union! This is after struggling to get a sponsor in previous years.

As long as they're pumping money into the club who cares if it's a union or not? As for struggling to find a sponsour in previous years, that's simply not true.

How many rounds in 2004 did you go without a major sponsor? How come Fone Zone had to save the day last year and still scale back its commitment in a deal that benefited the club little financially?

The problem with having a trade union as your sponsor is that it is a sign that the corporate side of the marketplace, where most of the sponsorship money will come from, is either weak or unwilling to support the club to the extent that they will for other teams.

Dutchy

Immortal
Heres another brilliant idea just like the topic of this thread.

Merge Parra and Raiders and call them Cabramatta!!!!

Dumbass thread.

Y2Eel

First Grade
I think its a great idea move penrith the the Central coast then let the Roosters have the junior structure out west...

Canberra have the biggest untapped market out there, no chance them moving...

ash the bash

Juniors
ozzie said:
I tell you what we will go and have a beer together at the SOUFFS leagues club and bury the hatchet. Whoops forgot you haven't got one - well lets make it the Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club, or the Berley Sportsclub or the Kingswood club...

Fair enuf, wait to u see our new leagues set to open in 08 LOL, its gonna have alot of class from the plans i have seen not just a concreate box of pokies like Easts

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Mal Meninga said:
The reason for the Raiders recruitment problems in recent years and Panthers currently is down to one man.

Well then Matt Elliot should be relocated to Gosford. That will be all, everyone else stays where they are.

ozzie

Bench
ash the bash said:
Fair enuf, wait to u see our new leagues set to open in 08 LOL, its gonna have alot of class from the plans i have seen not just a concreate box of pokies like Easts
class - how can SOUFFS have class? - lets see they are going to hold their homo dances again? They are going wash their supporterd down with a fire hydrant before they get to enter? They are going to have a dentist doing dental checks prior to entry" Not allow dole cheques to be cashed their?. Confiscate all petrol bottle prior to entry? Going to get rid of the neighbourhood? Yep the block which is not too far away has plenty of class - lol. Even been to Berkley Sports Club?

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
ozzie said:
I tell you what we will go and have a beer together at the SOUFFS leagues club and bury the hatchet. Whoops forgot you haven't got one - well lets make it the Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club, or the Berkley Sportsclub or the Kingswood club...

We have a eagues club, it is currently being renovated. But what do I care? I support South Sydney Football Club, not the South Sydney Leagues Club. I couldn't care less about the leagues club.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Mal Meninga said:
The reason for the Raiders recruitment problems in recent years and Panthers currently is down to one man.

That's a nice theory there Mal. Only problem is Penrith's recruitment and retention has been up the sh*t since well before Elliott arrived on the scene. The last major signing we made was Preston Campbell (who at the time was a reject) at the end of 2002.

Latest posts