What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

should the wingers change sides?

billy2

Juniors
Jimmy prefers the right and has played his best games on the right.

Aku has played as much on the left as on the right over his career. He played both sides in under 20s, reserve grade and firstgrade, and it really doesn't seem to make a difference to him.

After just one game it's clear that Boyd is more comfortable going left, and the winger on the left is going to get some good ball.

I say we want our most dangerous guy on the left, and the only reason Aku was on the right was to team him up with Doogs - and he isn't there anymore.

The centres could easily switch too, but i'd like to see Aku outside Tahu personally.

aqua_duck

Coach
I actually thought about that today. Aku has footwork off both feet so really shouldn't be a problem

Stick

Juniors
Aku on the left seems like overkill to me. The left winger will usually be getting the ball with a lot of work already done for him, he only really needs to be a finisher and McManus handled it with aplomb.

Wes and Aku didn't seem to gel but it wasn't long ago that they were killing it before Wes was injured.

With Tahu's penchant for rushing up, it's more sensible to have the stronger defender of the two wingers covering for him. Aku has enough trouble making the right decision without his centre deserting him.

Most persuasively, the irony of Jimmy teaming up with Timana after being decapitated by him is totally worth it.

Whats Doing

Bench
Jimmy prefers the right and has played his best games on the right.

Aku has played as much on the left as on the right over his career. He played both sides in under 20s, reserve grade and firstgrade, and it really doesn't seem to make a difference to him.

After just one game it's clear that Boyd is more comfortable going left, and the winger on the left is going to get some good ball.

I say we want our most dangerous guy on the left, and the only reason Aku was on the right was to team him up with Doogs - and he isn't there anymore.

The centres could easily switch too, but i'd like to see Aku outside Tahu personally.

Agree.

With Boyd and Tahu inside, Aku will get far more opportunities with more space to move

aqua_duck

Coach
Whilst Wes had a good season last year, Aku's try scoring rate didn't really pick up until he was playing outside Doogs.
I think the 'problem' with Wes is he doesn't like to take his man on on the outside, he prefers to step inside so he'll never really be able to create a 2 on 1 for Aku with an in and away or something like that

Burwood

Bench
I'm not sure where the Wes at centre love has come from. He looked more dangerous last year playing at the back, and his good touches at centre were never really anything more than half breaks. Can't really remember too many opportunities he set up for Aku. If Bennett truly believes what he has been preaching all summer (get quality ball to Aku as much as possible), either Boyd needs to learn to pass left to right or Aku needs to switch sides.

RABK

Referee
To be fair to Wes, last night Cooper was sliding towards Wes' outside leaving him the option of running inside and ensuring Aku was marked by 1.5 men at all times. It's great respect to Aku that the greatest defensive centre of this era played to that game plan.

Wes took a lot of those inside runs and made some good metres but the Dragons plan worked, Cooper backed himself to cover Wes on the inside and Uate was starved of ball. Wes could have passed perhaps twice that i saw but Morris was hugging the touchline all night.

We'll have to come up with plays to counter the marking of Uate. And not every centre is as gifted a defender as Cooper.

Agreed. Coops is a masterful defender. He has a tackling technique like few i have seen. He hits up and in and stops the ball movement dead in it's tracks. Morris doesn't have to come in off his wing to try and shut the ball movement down. He can just focus on marking his opposite. Hodges provides exactly the same option for Yow Yeh. I actually wouldn't be suprised if both Morris and Yow yeh were right up there when it comes to intercepts. They have the option move up on the wide ball cos they know their inside man will not miss his man in defence most of the time.

Yosh

Coach
As i've said before. It doesnt matter who scores the tries, we need at least 30 tries from the right side. If Wes sets up Aku, great. If Wes uses Aku as thr greatest decoy since Andrew Johns and scores 30 tries: fantastic!

Also I think we'll be seeing many beautiful cut out passes from Mullen to Aku as time goes by.

God-King Dean

Immortal
No. If he moved to the left the right would offer f**k all attack. When the 'Boyd Movement' starts to click it won't matter who's at the end of it, they're gonna score.

Alex28

Coach
Aku would have gotten a tonne of ball last night if Wes had just looked outside once in awhile

Agreed. Wes needs to be open to try assists rather than seeking the glory. Does nothing but starve Aku of ball and make him come off his wing looking for it...

Jimmy scored most of his tries from bombs while playing on the right wing so it could be a benefit of they use that play.
Most of the St George kicks were down to our left wing so I'm glad Jimmy was there.
Another option is Uate to centre and Wes on left wing with Jimmy on right.

League_God

Juniors
Jimmy scored most of his tries from bombs while playing on the right wing so it could be a benefit of they use that play.
Most of the St George kicks were down to our left wing so I'm glad Jimmy was there.
Another option is Uate to centre and Wes on left wing with Jimmy on right.

Won't happen, would be interesting though. I think a more realistic option is to swap Wes and Aku in certain parts of the game. I think Perverse said that Aku should model his game on Nathan Blacklock which I like the idea of. He should play on the wing but pop up all over the place. Surely it can't be that hard to organise a few plays with the sole aim of getting aku 1 on 1 with someone or even just a little space.

Rod

Bench
No. If he moved to the left the right would offer f**k all attack. When the 'Boyd Movement' starts to click it won't matter who's at the end of it, they're gonna score.

I agree. McManus is a good finisher and that's all you need on the end of those movements.

Big Tim

First Grade
GKD, its annoying when your trolling is not trolling, and 100% accurate.

Once the attack clicks on the left, we could have Greg Smith out there and it wont matter.

Having Uate on the other side of the field means we are strong on both sides.

RABK is also correct, Cooper backed his ability to run Wes down and essentially marked Aku.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think they should swap when they play Saints again.

We all saw how Morris absolutely & ruthlessly dominated Uate. Morris should be in gaol, because sodomy is illegal.

billy2

Juniors
Talking of Uate, he had knee surgery and really didn't start training full on till a few weeks before the season.
He only had one trial, and he looked pretty ordinary for him.
I think he was about half fit in the trial and is about 3/4s fit now. He will be much better for this run.

Latest posts