What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we bring back Simply The Best?

David Brent

Juniors
When the NSWRL ran the Tina Turner "What You Get Is What You See" (1988) and "Simply The Best" (1989 - 1994, or thereabouts) advertising campaigns, league thrived.

The music was perfect and the ads ran for a good couple of minutes, featuring highlights from great games and our best players running on sand dunes, across bridges and sweating it out in the gym etc.

As a kid growing up during that time, it was inspiring. It made you want to go to footy training every day of the week - especially on rainy days - just so you could emulate your heroes.

The "That's My Team" campaign, while not bad, just doesn't have the same impact. League is going gangbusters at the moment, mainly because of the brilliance of our players.

Imagine what would happen if we put them on the same stage as we did our greats of the late '80s and early '90s, by bringing back a Simply The Best-style campaign to promote the game?

Do you think the NRL should consider doing this? If so, what songs do you think would work? Is it worth bringing back Simply The Best itself?

bartman

Immortal
While Simply The Best Campaign was good, it was because it was a product of the times. Tina Turner, Diesel and Barnesy actually were chart artists back then.

I don't think we can bring it back. That's My Team is good, but probably fails because the Hoodoo Gurus are no longer chart artists anymore. Sure a lot of us (converted) fans have fond memories of that type of music, more than what makes up the charts today.

But if you want to have a successful, long running song for a new campaign, it must be of the times it's made for, and popular among the people it's trying to bring to the game (not just us that are already watching).

As much as it pains me to say it, any song considered for a new campaign should be more "urban/RnB" styled, preferrably sung by a female, to match the times and the targets (younger people, women). I'm thinking something like Black Eyed Peas style - that stuff charts well and is mainstream enough these days to not be too offensive? Throw in say MC Trey contributing for the Aussie connection?

ngunity

Juniors
"Simply the best" (STB) for sure, bring back the real song, sung by tina in her 'recording studio version' with plenty of footage of League at it's best

Nothing makes me think league, or feel more strongly for league than STB

I think ABC radio played it after the Panthers beat the roosters in the GF and it really reminded me what an awesome league affiliated-song it was

heck you've inspired me, am gunna go download it now!

j_tig

Juniors
im getting chills down my spine just thinking about it! its true, everytime i hear this song i think of league!

ngunity

Juniors
hmmm I've got cold feet. I just listened to Simply The Best and it didn't do it for me

I can appreciate what Bartman is saying but for mine rap, r & b and what not have no affiliation with League, and not really with Australia either but that's just grumpy old me

I'm drawing a total mental blank on ideas for a more modern, suitable song, argh

j_tig

Juniors
please do not put rap or r and b or anything ssimilar in the same sentence as. league.

j_tig

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
An Aussie band like Jet or Grinspoon would be ideal for a song imo.
pleas not jet! living end would be great! or how bout the wrights?

ByRd

First Grade
Whats wrong with R'n'B/Hip-Hop, its better then any rock music. IMO i think that "simply the best" should make a return, i remember as a little kid hearing that song & would love to hear it again.

DIEHARD

----
Bring it back one day, but when we do, do it properly!

Bring it back for the 2007 season. Back to 16 teams just like in 88-94.

Dani

Immortal
i reckon a play on Grinspoons 'Hard Act to Follow' could be quite good, just some bits would need to be altered

j_tig

Juniors
dog4life said:
Whats wrong with R'n'B/Hip-Hop, its better then any rock music. IMO i think that "simply the best" should make a return, i remember as a little kid hearing that song & would love to hear it again.
just personal preference mate. i cant stand that type of music, but i love rock music, i think ur wrong, u think im wrong, we'll agree to disagree.

when i think of league i think of big hits, barnstorming runs, etc. these are perfectly accompanied by a huge rock riff! when i think of r/b, etc i just dont get that connection! having said that, maybe different tunesd for the next ad compaign, something to appeal to the 'traditionalists' (or old fuddy duddies) and the new breed (or teenyboppers)...

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I totally agree. Don't know about Tina Turner though. Have the song re-worked sounding exactly the same ofcourse but with a more modern act.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
maybe re worked
u dont want to change it too much so its crap though
if its just a small remix then great.
dont change it too much, dont change a good thing

i remember they played it last year at the 2003 grand final before the game tina turner came out and sang it and i went ballistics. everyone in my bay thought i was weird

mickdo

Coach
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
i remember they played it last year at the 2003 grand final before the game tina turner came out and sang it and i went ballistics. everyone in my bay thought i was weird
I'm betting they thought you were wierd well before that...

Latest posts