What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we bring back the Emerging nations RLWC?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know this was tried in the ambitious 2000 RLWC but times have changed. Maybe reduce the Mens RLWC to 12 teams and have running alongside it a 12 team emerging nations RLWC? Play as double headers at each game. Would help reduce the blow out early rounds and give more countries opportunity to take part. Maybe the winner of the emerging nations cup get automatic qualifying to the next Mens RLWC?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mens RLWC 2029
England
Australia
NZ
Samoa
France
Tonga
Fiji
PNG
+ 4 qualifiers from qualifying tournaments

Emerging Nations RLWC 2029
Italy
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
Lebanon
Jamaica
Cook Islands
Greece
+ 8 from qualifiers (- 4 to main mens tournament)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think now that you've made it to 16, you don't go back from there. Despite blowouts in the group stages, the tournament was more competitive than ever before from the QF stage onwards. We've got a baseline legitimate world cup now with four pools of four, no super pools and in most cases good competitiveness between the top 2 in each group.

Emerging nations World Cup for the next 8 teams? I wouldn't say no to that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think now that you've made it to 16, you don't go back from there. Despite blowouts in the group stages, the tournament was more competitive than ever before from the QF stage onwards. We've got a baseline legitimate world cup now with four pools of four, no super pools and in most cases good competitiveness between the top 2 in each group.

Emerging nations World Cup for the next 8 teams? I wouldn't say no to that.
sadly we don’t have the funds to do it but an emerging World Cup featuring 12-16 clubs with the top 8 joining the guranteed top 8 in the following RLWC would be good way of qualifying. would be played 2 years before each World Cup.
Be a great way to bring through new nations as well as providing another tournament in between world cups.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
sadly we don’t have the funds to do it but an emerging World Cup featuring 12-16 clubs with the top 8 joining the guranteed top 8 in the following RLWC would be good way of qualifying. would be played 2 years before each World Cup.
Be a great way to bring through new nations as well as providing another tournament in between world cups.
Yeah, although looks like the funds from this world cup will be much greater than anything before. Hopefully this is the start and the money tap for the IRL has now been turned on, we should really be going up and up from here.

I like your idea. I think one stipulation is that we need to make sure each federation has a fair crack at making the world cup. It is important for GAISF and future potential Olympic / Paralympic applications that we have a global qualifying system with nations from each federation having a pathway to the world cup if they are good enough.

girvie

Staff member
Based on current international rankings, the next best 16 nations that did not compete at the World Cup are:
Europe - Serbia, Malta, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Turkey, Poland, Norway, Germany, Ukraine, Spain
Asia - Philippines
Americas - USA, Chile
Africa - Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana

Coastbloke

Bench
Based on current international rankings, the next best 16 nations that did not compete at the World Cup are:
Europe - Serbia, Malta, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Turkey, Poland, Norway, Germany, Ukraine, Spain
Asia - Philippines
Americas - USA, Chile
Out of that lot, who would win a ENWC? My money is on Serbia or USA..

siv

First Grade
Asia - Philippines
Americas - USA, Chile
And Niue would beat all of them

Latest posts