What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we let Dykes go?

_goParra

Juniors
Lot of people think that we should release him, but IMO he is the only decent half we've got.

Lets look at the options we have.

Dykes - Even though he is injury prone and did not fulfill his potential, he is the best option we have, the last few weeks have really proved this.

Witt - Not able to control games, unable to provide the creative spark or the finishing touches we need.

Thorman - Still not adapted to NRL

T.Smith - a good prospect, but still a year away from breaking first grade.

I belive that Smith and Witt are our future, but they need more time to develop. and seriously dykes is our only other option.

I would be interested to know what you guys think...

hemeroid

Juniors
if dykes plays tho he brings good spirit to the club n can help attract players who want to play with him from other clubs

T Smith and Blake Green are our future halfs but as said they are 1-2 years off. Maybe we should keep Dykes just for 1 more year because Witt is not a Half back.

Yeah, I agree we should keep Dykes.
He is our best option at the moment and he's experienced.
It's all good to say "but we have Tim Smith, Blake Green" etc, but as you have said they are still a while off yet.
Dykesy has been bagged alot...and with good reasons too, but it's times like these that you realise we do actually need him at the moment.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Let him go

He's played about six or so good games in three years, not enough IMO

He ties up alot of our money, and we've got good young blokes comming through

We could put his money towards Morrison or some one similar.

CrazyEel

Bench
I agree we have no other options and with better quality players around him next year he may finally deliver what was expected of him. I'd keep him for the final year of his contract.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Parraren: stole my point

I'm sure that Parra would LIKE to keep Dykes the question is can they afford it.

Let's pose this question
Keep Dykes or sign Morrison?????

It may well come down to that

Dykes is on around 300K for 2005
Lets say Parra pay 100K of that to Dykes and he goes to Cronulla and then sign Morrison for 200K

Parraren

Bench
I'd like to think this Tim Smith kid will emerge like a champion next year and save our ar$es as far as the never ending halfback dilemma is concerned [-o<

Hurriflatch

Referee
yeah, talent wise Parramatta are set in the hlafback/five eigth role with Morris, Witt, T.Smith and Green.

The problem is they are all basically untested Morris is more accustomed to hooker in recent seasons, Witt is still learning while Smith and Green have yet to make their top grade debuts

but Matt Head was also untested 12 months ago and look at him now.

messiah7

Juniors
I think Dykes is a good player. Im on the fence with this one but I would still keep him there. Lets not forget he was 5/8 of the year a few years back, and we havent been playing him there consistantly. I say keep him
THE MESSIAH HAS SPOKEN :evil:

Misty Bee

First Grade
Why have this discussion at all? UNless you are going to sign Orford, Kimmorley or Johns, how are you going to repl;ace his kicking and passing game? Witt, Thorman and Smith are still a light year behing Dykes.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. We cannot win a premiership without Adam Dykes. Period.

newmanj

Juniors
Sayonara
Adios
Arrivaderci
Caio
Catchya

After 3 years, still not impressed. Hard to believe that a fourth year will lead to improvement.

I do believe we are still searching for a short term halfback option until Tim Smith and Blake Green mature. Watch this space.

Glenn

First Grade
Given how very thin Parramatta are there. Unless they can get a Orford,Gower etc then keep Dykes whatever it takes. Since he went off injured vs Bris the attacking options have been non existant

Parraren

Bench
I do believe we are still searching for a short term halfback option until Tim Smith and Blake Green mature. Watch this space.

I believe we might sign an old washed up one again. Smithy always does. It worked with Taylor but not so with Green.

So who might it be?

Craig Field? :lol:
Ben Ikin? :lol:
Tricky Trindall? :lol:
Ben Kusto? :x - not a laughing matter!

Eels Dude

Coach
Hurriflatch said:
Parraren: stole my point

I'm sure that Parra would LIKE to keep Dykes the question is can they afford it.

Let's pose this question
Keep Dykes or sign Morrison?????

It may well come down to that

Dykes is on around 300K for 2005
Lets say Parra pay 100K of that to Dykes and he goes to Cronulla and then sign Morrison for 200K

We HAVE to afford it. We have to budget the salary cap according to who is already under contract. If Parramatta needed to release Dykes to sign Morrison then they'd have to release him first. Just because the club tells him he's unwanted doesn't mean he has to go. As long as he's under contract he has the right to stay.