What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Woolford leave after 2005?

Kris_man

Bench
it's not just Woolford's decision, it's also a decision of the Raiders management. most NRL teams have pretty decent hookers, so i can't see him getting a great deal of interest from too many NRL clubs. i think we should keep him, just for less dough than he's on now. if we make him a smallish offer, then it can be his decision whether to accept that offer or not.

thickos

First Grade
As long as the offer is not too small kris. Otherwise it would be a slap in the face from the club, something sadly we are very good at (Stuart, Clyde, Wiki, Davico).

We will have plenty of 'free money' after this season (no more Jason Smith, Adamson, Tyran Smith, plus any others who may leave the club) so Germ could stay on his current money IMO if he wants to remain a Raider.

He is President of the RLPA so he has a supplementary income coming in.

skeepe

Immortal
Found this in the Canberra Times today, seems Woolford is trying to force management's hand on this which IMO would not be the best move for him... if the offer comes it will come. Then again, if it is true I would like to see management trying a little bit harder to sign up those off-contract players a bit sooner.

Woolford still waiting by the phone to lock in contract
By Peter Fitzgerald Rugby league
Wednesday, 9 February 2005

Canberra Raiders captain Simon Woolford claimed yesterday that the club he has served for 11 years had not yet offered him a substantial deal for next season, despite having voiced his concern of wanting his future settled before the start of the upcoming National Rugby League season.

Woolford's current contract with the Raiders expires at the end of this season but the soon-to-be 30-year-old says he isn't yet ready to retire from rugby league.

Raiders general manager Don Furner, who was yesterday named as co-manager of the NSW Blues for this year's State Of Origin series, claimed Woolford had already rejected a one-year deal recently offered to him by the club, despite the captain saying he had not yet received a "formal" offer.

Furner would not expand as to what specifics of the deal the skipper was believed to be unsatisfied with.

Woolford joins Clinton Schifcofske, Ryan O'Hara and Ian Hindmarsh as senior team members coming off contract at the end of the season but the hooker doesn't want to have any uncertainty about his future still lingering when the Raiders kick-off their season against the Knights on March 19.

In total, seven regular first-graders come off contract at the end of the season.

"I'd hope to have it sorted very quickly whether I'm going to be here or whether I'm not going to be," he said.

"I've always wanted to start my career here and finish it here but albeit, maybe, have a year in England after that but a lot of the times, that doesn't get to be the case.

"I don't know about over in England but I know there'll be a fair bit of interest from other clubs in Australia.

"It's a two-way thing - it's up to the Raiders to make me the right offer too. A lot will depend on that. I just hope to have that sorted in the next few weeks."

Woolford, who admitted the negotiating period was "still in the very early stages", said a decision like this wasn't one that was easily made. Such things as family and which players the Raiders were looking at possibly attracting to the club in the future were two issues worth serious consideration before committing anywhere.

"It's no secret that it is hard to get the really big- name players to Canberra, so I guess a lot of guys [coming] off contract will look to see if we can lure some really big names to the club," he said. "That may have a big bearing on the players already here and their decisions for the future.

"It's probably a small concern but it's only early stages yet and as much as all guys would like to have all their negotiations done early, most of the time it does take a fair bit of time and effort and that's just the way it is."

Meanwhile Woolford, Schifcofske, Jason Croker, Matt Adamson, Tyran Smith and Damon Alley-Tovio will head to the Riverina next week to run clinics for country fans.

The players will spread themselves between Young, Cowra, Cootamundra and Junee next Wednesday and Thursday for two days of visiting schools, holding coaching clinics and attending local rugby league functions.

Woolford, originally from Young, is looking forward to returning to his former home to help out the local kids.

"I guess I'm fortunate I can go back to my home town which will be a lot of fun," he said.

"I think it means a lot to the kids. There wasn't a great deal of opportunity for me to see it when I was a kid because it didn't happen as much so I think it's fantastic we can go back to the country areas and thrill the kids who love the game."

The players will return to Canberra on the Thursday before playing the Bulldogs in Gosford in their first trial match two days later.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... sport&story_id=369758&y=2005&m=2

thickos

First Grade
Every year, same old crap... 'lets see if we can lure some big names to the club.'

If the good players we currently have stay, the odds of that happening INCREASE.

mike83au

Juniors
Some of his comments aren't really what we would expect from a captain and leader of the team.

He's probably peeved that he hasn't been offered a contract that he would like for next year. But still, I reckon that's his problem. Play better = contract.

skeepe

Immortal
I agree mike, particularly on the first part. Can you imagine someone like Darren Lockyer coming out before a ball has been kicked and saying these sorts of things?

The thing I've noticed most is that he seems to think we need to sign big-name players - Canberra has never really been about that. We based our success on some good junior recruitment and excellent development, and I honestly believe that's where the future lies.

I will concede however that retaining the juniors that we do develop has become increasingly hard - look at the case earlier this week where a 19-year-old future Bronco revealed he rejected an offer from the Roosters that was 6 times the worth of his Broncos contract.

Despite that, management need to work hard at retaining the junior stars that we do have, and developing them in the finest Raiders tradition. More than that, they need to make sure that these guys stay loyal, and give them reasons to want to stay, rather than leave... show them that the grass is definately not greener on the other side.

LUKEY

Juniors
Write on. F@#k Recruiting big name players as Juinors coming through the ranks in our number one priority. Be nice to have Sunny Bill come to the club though as he is a Raiders supporter.