What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings

blacksafake

First Grade
Have heard that Chris Heighington wants out of the tigers & is in talks with us plus there is also mail that joel reddy is coming too.How does everyone feel about this.I'm not a great fan or heighington but could warm to him in a RED V.Reddy is a good player & surely a better proposition than reece simmonds.

DirtyHarry

Juniors
Reddy is an average player, & we don’t need him.

Heighington would be a handy addition to any team, do we really need him though? I think Bennett tried to sign him when he first came.

The Nick

Bench
Heighington is being shopped around by the Tigers who are trying to make room under their cap but saints won't be signing him.

Any money freed from Boyd's release will be used to re-sign Coops and accommodate the upgraded contracts that will be automatically triggered as a result of Sowie, Merrin and Young making their SOO debuts.

Seriously, anyone who thinks we are in the market for players is kidding themselves. Every single member in our squad has an increased value as a result of playing under Wayne and winning a premiership. For example, Weyman came to the Dragons as an injury prone, unfit bargain buy. He now has Test and SOO jerseys and a much larger price tag to go with it.

The club will spend all of it's cap trying to retain the bulk of the squad, and then filling gaps where necessary.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hard to see Heighington coming when he didn't sign when Bennett was on offer. Plus we have the players to cover.

Seems to be a few concerns over Wests Tigers way.

Benny

First Grade
Heighington is being shopped around by the Tigers who are trying to make room under their cap but saints won't be signing him.

Any money freed from Boyd's release will be used to re-sign Coops and accommodate the upgraded contracts that will be automatically triggered as a result of Sowie, Merrin and Young making their SOO debuts.

Seriously, anyone who thinks we are in the market for players is kidding themselves. Every single member in our squad has an increased value as a result of playing under Wayne and winning a premiership. For example, Weyman came to the Dragons as an injury prone, unfit bargain buy. He now has Test and SOO jerseys and a much larger price tag to go with it.

The club will spend all of it's cap trying to retain the bulk of the squad, and then filling gaps where necessary.

Think Doust metioned at a Red V Forum that they don't put rep bonuses in players contracts. If room under cap, better off front loading some contracts such as Gasniers (which was heavily backended) to help in the years to come.

j0nesy

Bench
I thought it was Brownie who tried to sign him before Smith? I would have thought our back row stocks were ok, most notaly with Cutho , Prior and even Young able to pla lock.

possm

Coach
The Dragons don't need Heighington or Reddy. They need to secure the players that still have and then sign up talant from their local juniors.

The Dragons should find a new coach for their U 20s.

Minh

First Grade
Joel Reddy at his best is a very good safe no nonsense player, however I think we have enough strength in the centres and wing department and don't see how he would fit in. Heighington is also very good but I think we have enough depth as it is at the moment however I think he can be a real good player for us if we did sign him.

saint06

Juniors
don't want reddy. Why would we lose all these young players in the past - fai fai, whare, linnett, lett, vickery - only to sign joel reddy. terrible decision.

As for heinington - that would be a great buy. You guys are kidding if you think he would fit well in our team.

nrlnrl

First Grade
don't want reddy. Why would we lose all these young players in the past - fai fai, whare, linnett, lett, vickery - only to sign joel reddy. terrible decision.

As for heinington - that would be a great buy. You guys are kidding if you think he would fit well in our team.

Either Reddy or Wes Naiqama being mentioned as outside back depth which is badly needed ( rather than using forwards to cover for this )

As for Heighington ? - no chance to join Dragons

Wes Naiquama wouldn't be too bad, but he would be a professional Reggie if he did come back. Would be a feel good story to have a local junior back in the fold.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Wes and Reddy are both not in discussion with the club. They are two names plucked out of the air by the Telegraph. The thing that the dragons need to be wary of when choosing a replacement for Boyd is the style of player they opt for. The whole idea of using Price as coach next year is so that the systems already in place can remain in tact. One of these systems is our playing style. Substituting Boyd with one dimensional players like Wes and Reddy would make no sense. A ready made ball playing fullback is essential and that is why Kyle Stanley is the best pick for the job. If he doesn't work out in the position then we always have Mr 'fix it' Nightingale on the books. The other thing to remember is that we are now paying Stanley 'starting first grade player' money, not 'young fringe bench player' money and with Morris, Nightingale, Gaz, Coops, Soward and Hornby all on the books next year, it really makes sense to slot him in that position and give him the game time that his talent demands.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good post breathingfire.

I'd only add that Hornby would still figure as a third choice fullback.

It looks like we have no shortage of players to fill that position. What I'd like to see is more depth in the centres.

And btw, there was a good reason why we let Wes go. He may have matured a bit since then and I hope that's the case, but there's sure to be some reservations about considering him for a future return.

Minh

First Grade
I hope we give Stanley first crack at the fullback position next year, who knows could be a real revelation there with his creativity.

nontime111

Juniors
Yes! agree!! Nights is an amazingly gifted ball playing fullback, with safe hands and mean defence punching well above his weight!!

Nights to fullback, and RATU PENI TAGIVE to the wing!!!!!!! (or centre when Coops retires, also Style to halfback when Hornby retires.......gotta look after the future!! ;-)

Liam

Juniors
Good post breathingfire.

I'd only add that Hornby would still figure as a third choice fullback.

It looks like we have no shortage of players to fill that position. What I'd like to see is more depth in the centres.

And btw, there was a good reason why we let Wes go. He may have matured a bit since then and I hope that's the case, but there's sure to be some reservations about considering him for a future return.

Wes definately has matured since he left the Dragons, at Newcastle he's had to provide a positive example for his younger brother and has captained his country and that World Cup team is where Hayne said he matured heavily as a player too.

Talking about Wes, how do you guys think Kevin could go? Kid is lightning, only just slower than Uate and can play wing or fullback.

Latest posts