What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings

nrlnrl

First Grade
Wes and Reddy are both not in discussion with the club. They are two names plucked out of the air by the Telegraph. The thing that the dragons need to be wary of when choosing a replacement for Boyd is the style of player they opt for. The whole idea of using Price as coach next year is so that the systems already in place can remain in tact. One of these systems is our playing style. Substituting Boyd with one dimensional players like Wes and Reddy would make no sense. A ready made ball playing fullback is essential and that is why Kyle Stanley is the best pick for the job. If he doesn't work out in the position then we always have Mr 'fix it' Nightingale on the books. The other thing to remember is that we are now paying Stanley 'starting first grade player' money, not 'young fringe bench player' money and with Morris, Nightingale, Gaz, Coops, Soward and Hornby all on the books next year, it really makes sense to slot him in that position and give him the game time that his talent demands.

Fair enough - I thought Naiqama would be a handy utility player for depth ( not as a replacement for Boyd ) & also has value as a solid goalkicker. Any info on potential new signings ?

macdragon

Juniors
Chris Heighington came to the school I work at when his last contract was up. One of the kids (little champion) asked him if he was going to sign for the Dragons. His response: 'What, the chokers? No way.'

Breathingfire

Juniors
Fair enough - I thought Naiqama would be a handy utility player for depth ( not as a replacement for Boyd ) & also has value as a solid goalkicker. Any info on potential new signings ?

Although Wes would probably be a good utility player for depth purposes, I can't see him agreeing to come for "depth" money or "depth" game time, if you know what i mean. I am predicting that we won't be very active in the player market for next year. I have a feeling it will be the same as last year where we offload a couple of players that now demand more money and sign a few back up forwards and possibly an outside back. I strongly doubt there will be marquee signings- we just don't have room under the cap. I understand that Boyd has freed up some room but given the backpay we owe Gaz and the upgraded deals of a number of other stars, i can't see how we could fit one in. The salary is cap is doing its job unfortunately. I do believe however that we will be very competitive next year regardless.

Last edited:

meercat

Juniors
Article in the Newcastle Herald states that you guys have offered Wes a contract and can guarantee him a starting position at fullback, so would not be surprised to see him return.

st.phil

Bench
Article in the Newcastle Herald states that you guys have offered Wes a contract and can guarantee him a starting position at fullback, so would not be surprised to see him return.

Good utility back - highly doubt he would be a starter though...K Stanley and Nightingale will see FB before Wes does if he comes back to saints.

matthewj

Juniors
fein has just re-signed till the end of 2013 and a de belin a 3 year deal... sorry cant post links but its on the dragons website

nrlnrl

First Grade
Although Wes would probably be a good utility player for depth purposes, I can't see him agreeing to come for "depth" money or "depth" game time, if you know what i mean. I am predicting that we won't be very active in the player market for next year. I have a feeling it will be the same as last year where we offload a couple of players that now demand more money and sign a few back up forwards and possibly an outside back. I strongly doubt there will be marquee signings- we just don't have room under the cap. I understand that Boyd has freed up some room but given the backpay we owe Gaz and the upgraded deals of a number of other stars, i can't see how we could fit one in. The salary is cap is doing its job unfortunately. I do believe however that we will be very competitive next year regardless.

Yeah, that all makes sense. I've heard Jon Green is heading to the Sharks & who knows who else will leave ( Bosden already gone to the Roosters & McKinnon a done deal at the Knights ). Hopefully Greenfield can play more minutes next year ( looked more mobile than normal last Friday ) & some of the younger guys like De Belin, Thompson & Stockwell can ease into the NRL as 2nd tier backup ( although it's been mentioned on here that the Storm are after Stockwell ).

Dragons have been unlucky in an area where they were light on for depth ( outside backs ), but would like to see another centre added to the mix. ( rather than the current situation of backrowers filling in )

Tez

Juniors
Yeah, that all makes sense. I've heard Jon Green is heading to the Sharks & who knows who else will leave ( Bosden already gone to the Roosters & McKinnon a done deal at the Knights ). Hopefully Greenfield can play more minutes next year ( looked more mobile than normal last Friday ) & some of the younger guys like De Belin, Thompson & Stockwell can ease into the NRL as 2nd tier backup ( although it's been mentioned on here that the Storm are after Stockwell ).

Dragons have been unlucky in an area where they were light on for depth ( outside backs ), but would like to see another centre added to the mix. ( rather than the current situation of backrowers filling in )

Don't forget Chase Stanley is signed and Bronx Goodwin was looking good before his injury. In the halves, it was reported on Sports Sunday radio that we're after Kris Keating.

possm

Coach
It is a shame we lost Green, Bosden and McKinnon. All are great young players but you can't afford them all. The Stanley brothers and Goddwin will give us the required depth in the backs and Fein will cover half back and hooker. We still have some bright young forwards coming through from the under 20s.

I think player wise we are in good shape for next year however, support staff will make the difference. It is OK to have the system in place after Bennett leaves but we will need the right coaching and fitness staff to implement it. Price is OK but who else do we have that can do the job?

Cagey Mac

Bench
Let's hope that the training, diet and fitness culture will carry on to a great extent through Bennett's legacy to remaining coaching staff and senior players

Minh

First Grade
I think Folkesy is very good in the fitness department and is an experienced campaigner for Pricey to fall back on.

blacksafake

First Grade
Good to see that fien has decided to stick with the strength,i for one feel that he is a very important part of our team.Plays as well at hooker or 1/2 & is very dangerous with ball in hand plus tough in defence.It also gives king time to learn the ropes as his understudy.young to backrow with fien & king sharing the dummy 1/2 duties. Looks like hornby is gone for a couple of weeks so he slots in well.Lets hope that cuthbo is next cab of the ranks to resign.what do you guys think?

nrlnrl

First Grade
Wes and Reddy are both not in discussion with the club. They are two names plucked out of the air by the Telegraph. The thing that the dragons need to be wary of when choosing a replacement for Boyd is the style of player they opt for. The whole idea of using Price as coach next year is so that the systems already in place can remain in tact. One of these systems is our playing style. Substituting Boyd with one dimensional players like Wes and Reddy would make no sense. A ready made ball playing fullback is essential and that is why Kyle Stanley is the best pick for the job. If he doesn't work out in the position then we always have Mr 'fix it' Nightingale on the books. The other thing to remember is that we are now paying Stanley 'starting first grade player' money, not 'young fringe bench player' money and with Morris, Nightingale, Gaz, Coops, Soward and Hornby all on the books next year, it really makes sense to slot him in that position and give him the game time that his talent demands.

seems like Wes Naiqama is ....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tles-wes-naiqama/story-e6frexnr-1226080887309

ghostface

Juniors
I think our depth in the backs has been tested this year.. Having to call on the likes of Reece Simmonds to return to first grade is not ideal. I'd sign Wes only on the provision that he has no contact with Paulini. Bring back WES...

Latest posts