What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simpson

hunters

Juniors
My question is were will souths spend the money. If it has gone to GI then this is a joke
Hmmm.... i still think if it was a case of letting champs and Simpson go to get Inglis, then you would take it every time. Can't really see this as being the case though. The NRL already registered GI's contract so we're not just going to throw hime another $80k to be nice.

Guess it goes into the retention bucket.

BunniesMan

Immortal
My question is were will souths spend the money. If it has gone to GI then this is a joke

Hmmm.... i still think if it was a case of letting champs and Simpson go to get Inglis, then you would take it every time. Can't really see this as being the case though. The NRL already registered GI's contract so we're not just going to throw hime another $80k to be nice.

Guess it goes into the retention bucket.
Perhaps it's extra money to ensure we can resign someone like Luke. Also it might have been done to afford George Burgess?

Last edited:

Bluebag

Juniors
If it is only 80k is that enough to just sign Luke also Ben Lowe is off contract and who else needs to be kept with an extra 80k

Galeforce

Bench
we have Luke, Sutton , Merrit , Lowe for starters who need new contracts during 2011 not to mention making money available to keep promising young players like Farrel and Vai Vai , Peats Mundine. So of course some hard decisions need to make.i salute Simpson and wish him all the best and i salute Souths for making right priority decision.

BranVan3000

Coach
Some people don't seem to understand how this competition works. You can't hold on to lesser talent over some misguided affection, "oh but remember when he scored that try, he's half-decent!" How does keeping a half decent player locked up in our reserve basement make sense? There are way too many centers in our squad already ahead of him. Vai Vai, Morgan and Farrell immediately spring to mind as being ahead of him

boo_boo

Juniors
If some players are asked to leave to accomodate others then that doesn't say much for our club.
Welcome to the new South Sydney & enjoy your stay until we find someone better.
What prospective player would accept those terms & conditions ?

Galeforce

Bench
boo boo
you fail to recognise that Simpson and Champion left the club for better deals.
The message to simpson would have been , do not expect a richer contract with us beyond 2011 and most likely you will be playing with Norths during 2011.
As for Champion , message most like was no dollar increase beyond 2011 and no guarantees you will be ahead of Farrell for the vacant centre spot.
If they were not offerred better deals with Storm or Superleague , they would have stayed with Souths on contract.

If some players are asked to leave to accomodate others then that doesn't say much for our club.
Welcome to the new South Sydney & enjoy your stay until we find someone better.
What prospective player would accept those terms & conditions ?

This is Rugby League nowadays. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in the dark ages.

themacemaceman

Juniors
If a guy can make more money overseas and gain experience in the top grade which will help him in his long term career, then its the right thing to do by Simpson to let him go. We could have held him back to play reggies and paid him peanuts probably compared to their offer and then when his contract was up not re-sign him cause we have too many centres. This would have made it harder for him to get a gig elsewhere if he didnt play first grade this year which he probably wouldnt have. Im a huge fan of his. Reminds me of a young Mad Dog McDougall. The club did the right thing by Simpson in my opinion.

boo_boo

Juniors
If that was the case then i have no problems with that.
However as it happened so close to Beau being forced out then i have my doubts about the sincerity of the clubs actions.

No. Simply that NRL is a business, as is Souths. The reality of the situation is that everyone involved knows where they stand. It may seem harsh but that's the way it works nowadays. There is so much money involved that it has become cut throat. It will only get worse from here. Bitching and moaning about it is like riding a rocking horse. Keeps you busy but you won't get anywhere.

At least South's came out in front. In years gone by we never came out in front in these types of situations. We'd have let 2 players go to squeeze Inglis in and end up signing Shannon Hegarty out of retirement while Inglis would have reneged on us and signed with the Roosters...

Been down that path too many times. I'm happy to accept these harsh new methods in the hope that they lead to some different results. The way we've operated over the last 40 odd years has brought us 40 odd years worth of duck eggs.

Last edited:

boo_boo

Juniors
That's probably where we differ then mate.
I'd still expect some sort of loyalty to exist in the club.

rabbs

Juniors
There is no loyalty on either side any more.It is purely business.It is like any job these days,if someone offers more money and better lifestyle,take it.

Think of the most successful clubs over the past 20 years. Broncos, Storm, Manly, Roosters. I would say a trademark of all of these teams is that once a player is past it, they are moved on. No if's or but's. There are dozens of examples I could cite. Even one of the greatest ever, Wally Lewis got the punt from the Bronc's when his time was up. If someones time is up or if someone better comes along then you need to make the tough decisions.