What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sione

Knight76

Juniors
If we are going to be a chance at lifting that shield then Sione can not be at Centre. We are signing Ramien to play Centre and have Moga, if Moga does not come back we should be looking at another option, an actual centre. Even SKD would be a better option there than Sione.

Sione has done a job there, but isn't a quality centre.

Old dog

Juniors
I think Sione might be there with or without Moga being fit, might be bench covering backs and forwards depending on Moga and other signings.

Yosh

Coach
If we are going to be a chance at lifting that shield then Sione can not be at Centre. We are signing Ramien to play Centre and have Moga, if Moga does not come back we should be looking at another option, an actual centre. Even SKD would be a better option there than Sione.

Sione has done a job there, but isn't a quality centre.

I dunno... I think Sione playing centre isn't a big of an issue as the lack of forwards. Our backs with Ramien and Lee coming in, including the halves (if Pearce and Watson are fit) are good enough to win a premiership. The forwards, wouldn't win reserve grade. Apart from Ese'ese, we have no other forward who is coveted by any side in the NRL.

So basically, we can win a Premiership with Sione at centre but not with Yates, Bhurher, Stone, Lillyman, etc. playing week in week out.

Woosh

Head Moderator
I am very interested to see what Brown does with Cory Dennis next week.
Is Brown going try to hide Dennis in defense and get Cogger to make his tackles?
Cory is younger and has played 70 less NRL games than Sione.
Surely Brown can’t drop Dennis and at least give him 70 games to work on things?

Yosh

Coach
Brown has lost the plot if that’s case.
Why not just defend Cogger in the centres?

Indeed... Actually, why not give the Knights a call and tell them directly what you think. I think they'll fire Brown immediately and install you as the new head coach!

perverse

Referee
Brown has lost the plot if that’s case.
Why not just defend Cogger in the centres?
Denniss sucks ass, full stop. Might be an age thing, might just be he sucks, but is nowhere near first grade standard at the moment.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Feels like I have been bumping this thread since Sione’s debut.
Where now for Sione?
What’s the bet he doesn’t get dropped this week?

Jono078

Referee
I don't think he's physically up to it for second row. His effort is there but he gets very sloppy under fatigue.

I don't know what's next for him.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I don't think he's physically up to it for second row. His effort is there but he gets very sloppy under fatigue.

I don't know what's next for him.
his stats are no better or worse than Gavin Cooper, Coen Hess, Curtis Sironen, Frank Winterstein, Bryce Cartwright etc etc etc and Sione is 22 yrs old.

Is he one of the best 2nd rowers in the comp? not by a long shot, 3rd game into being yet again moved position I'm willing to see how the young man goes before writing him off.

Never quite understood the bizarre and sustained dislike for Sione. He didnt have the best of games this weekend, but so to the whole team.Overall I'm fascinated how so many people are so easily influenced by the comments of a few. I think it's called herd mentality.

Last edited:
Sione will be in this week. He's ok at the straight hit up but there's more to his game than that. He showed a glimpse last week with his offload.
When he gets his step and palm off with his head up back into his game he'll be fine.
We have many worries without focusing on Sione. The team needs to get their act together in general.

Spot On

Coach
What a classic thread.

Reading back over this thread, some people sure rated Buhrer extremely highly. I bet they have changed their minds now.

perverse

Referee
Never quite understood the bizarre and sustained dislike for Sione. He didnt have the best of games this weekend, but so to the whole team.Overall I'm fascinated how so many people are so easily influenced by the comments of a few. I think it's called herd mentality.
It's got a lot to do with the expectation that he came into grade with, as well as the money he's been paid to date.

His defensive read on the weekend leading to the try was absolutely deplorable, setting aside his other very poor defensive stats. If he can't fix it, he'll be lucky to keep a bench spot. I've always liked him as a player and a human, but we can't carry that in the team forever. I'd like to see him bounce between reserve grade and first grade for a while and let him work on his game as a forward. We're starting to get to a place where we have the depth to afford that.

slotmachine

First Grade
5 years and 100 games later still can't make that read. You have to be thinking it's never going to happen.