What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SK: Sandow to keep smashing players with his shoulder charge

Gronk

Staff member
CHRIS Sandow's shoulder charges used to give Souths coach John Lang sleepless nights, but at Parramatta the newly-arrived halfback has been cleared to continue smashing players twice his size. Eels coach Stephen Kearney said the high-risk shoulder charge could at times inspire his teammates.
Star fullback Jarryd Hayne quipped he would try to help Sandow fine-tune the shoulder that featured on many NRL highlights reels.
"Sometimes it's not so much about pulling it off, but it's the reaction he gets from his teammates," Kearney said
"The bloke is knee-high to a grasshopper, but he's trying to inspire, and I've got no dramas with [doing it], but given it's the right time and place.
"When he's trying to do it to front-rowers, that's the competitive nature in him. He doesn't want to get run over the top of or beaten, and that's his way of doing it."

Sandow was concussed during Saturday's trial against the Wests Tigers but it was not from an attempted shoulder charge.
He was cleared to play in Friday's final hitout at Penrith - alongside Hayne and Nathan Hindmarsh - and said his shoulder charge was impossible to flick from his playbook.
"Sometimes you know when to do it and when not do it. I just try to spark the boys up, that's my job in the team," Sandow said.
Hayne went one further and offered to give him some pointers yesterday as they joked around after a game of lawn bowls.
"I'm laughing every time he does it, it looks funny," said Hayne, as Sandow walked past.
"He tried to do it to Matt Utai on Saturday but got his hip."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-shoulder-charge/story-fnbgt0wl-1226270218327

parra pete

Referee
I, personally, hate the shoulder charge in Rugby League and, in my opinion, it should be outlawed, the same as it is in Rugby Union and in junior matches of Rugby League (Under 18).
Teach the players to tackle properly - and reduce the possibility of injury and or suspension.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pretty sure he's many times taller than a grasshopper. Even if you could get it to stand up on it's back legs.

strider

Post Whore
Pretty sure he's many times taller than a grasshopper. Even if you could get it to stand up on it's back legs.

no no - its true .... i saw him on the weekend and he looked like he blended in with the blades of grass ... he really is that small

he needs to take a lot of care when doing shoulder charges:

a. he is rushing out of the line and leaving a gap

b. if its miscued it can go horribly wrong

strider

Post Whore
i just went out the back yard and there he was ,ready for action...

here

haha ... here he is ... i thought he was slightly more tanned than this, but maybe its the lighting

garden-gnome-nrl-eels-front.jpg